What other instruments do you 'dabble' on?

The bulk of the musical talk
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

What other instruments do you 'dabble' on?

Post by toobagrowl »

Being a tuba player, I also like to dabble on a couple other instruments: trombone and synth/keyboard. My synth/keyboard "skills" are meager at best, but it's great fun to create/shape sounds and play simple chords, tunes and whatnot. Trombone is somewhere between tuba and synth for me; I could sit in with most college & community bands and do a decent job on the 2nd or 3rd part, as long as I've been practicing.

What other instruments do some of you play on, mostly for fun :?:
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: What other instruments do you 'dabble' on?

Post by Dan Schultz »

Euphonium.
Alphorn.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Well, instruments I've played in public more than once within the last 10 years ... various saxophones, electric & upright bass, accordion. Started with recorders, band instruments with flute and the clarinet family, but not in public within the 10 year limit, and can sort of play guitar, ukulele, mandolin & viola, but not to even my low performance standards, that's more for home study purposes - guitar particularly, because of its combination of chordal harmony and rhythm, and now I'm getting interested in the same way with the ukulele. I can conceive and convey a rhythmic interpretation, with a guitar or ukulele in my hands. The guitar is a cheap old thing strung with high tension nylon strings and played with a pick, and the ukulele is a very cheap soprano, also played with a pick - both pretty near ideal for my purposes.
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Most other winds, but more often than not, double reeds. Most recent paying work has been pit gigs on oboe/cor anglais. Director of my primary group gave me the heads-up last week that he'll be programming Reed's Russian Christmas Music for the December concert. Tour de force for cor.

The Boss will have me drag out the Conn 28D (cor français) when we're short on horns and he doesn't have anything on the menu needing oboe color.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I used to play (and be confident playing) a lot of stuff. I played trumpet, baritone, Bb tuba, soprano and bass clarinet, French horn, and bass guitar in high school. After that it got weirder- I bought bass and contrabass trumpets, a contrabass trombone, tenor and bass trombones, various tubas, a cimbasso, and always felt saucy when I picked up an alto trombone. I still have my bass trombone, 2 euphs, 2 old Eb tubas, and the mini cimbasso. I stopped seriously playing bass trombone, the nicest instrument I own and probably the one I identified with most, due to physical issues.

Hell, I haven't even played in a group of any size since about fall 2014. I pick up the chimp once or twice a week, the tubas and euph once or twice a month, and the chainsaw noticeably less than that. I think the second valve is frozen. Oh well...
Last edited by Bob Kolada on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cdub
bugler
bugler

Post by Cdub »

Horn, flute, and trumpet tend to be the three most frequent ones I play on for church gigs that are not tuba.
Mack 410gb
On Wisconsin
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Made most of my money over the years on bass guitar, but just retired from it. Now mostly Eb tuba, and occasional euphonium, trombone, and bass clarinet.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

When not playing my Eb or French C Tuba I do a lot of playing on Saxhorn basse, Ophicleide, valve and slide trombone and tenor guitar. Flattop, archtop, electric and resonator and yes, a tenor banjo as well. Six-string reso (blues) guitar sometimes and I know how to use piano and accordion
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

British baritone in a band that needed me more there than on tuba while the regular baritone player was on sabbatical.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
rumhud
lurker
lurker

Post by rumhud »

Bass trombonist originally, majored in music and taught low brass when I was younger. Became an author and disability advocate but have been getting back into playing this year (probably a mid life crisis thing). In addition to my bass trombone (which I've been playing in a local historical heritage band), I've acquired a Schiller oval baritone (for sale, if anyone's looking for such a thing!) and a Wessex tornister euphonium, which is just a ridiculous amount of fun to play. Most of all, I've been learning the ophicleide, which is challenging and very cool, unless perhaps you're one of my neighbors.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

Besides Tuba, Euphonium (was my primary MOS in the Army Reserve Band), Bass and Tenor trombone, Electric Bass guitar, and Guitar, as well as Piano (my first instrument).
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

Euphonium, bass trombone.
Played string bass and electric bass on jazz gigs until the arthritis in my fingers got too bad.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

A beautiful late 19th century 6’11” Henry Miller & Sons art case grand piano, fully restored 15 years ago. Synth, Euphonium, and some Electric Guitar!
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
1895King
bugler
bugler

Post by 1895King »

Bass drum
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

When the regular Bass Drummer can't make a parade gig I take it.
Mine is a huge old wooden monster from the 1930s, so I made a cart for it from a jogging stroller, works pretty well.

I have been trying to learn Bass Guitar, C French Tuba, serpent, and ophicleide for many years...
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

bloke wrote:... She wanted to play the Sibelius "Swan of Tuonela" ...
Ah, yes. Much appreciation here, Swan is not so much a test of pure virtuosity as it is demanding of control and endurance. Is your daughter playing professionally now? My oboe mentor was an alumnus of one of those aforementioned conservatories and played with a big-city major for several years, only to - frankly - crack under the pressure. I was crushed, I so looked up to him and still do. Anyway, you guys think tuba at that level is bad, oboe is furiously competitive if not outright cutthroat.

Early on I dabbled (per thread theme) with reed making, but it is a very skilled art into itself. I was out of double reeds for a couple of decades, and on reentering figured by the time I invested in a full workshop, I could pay somebody for their artistry for the rest of my life. I have a good reed guy now, one of the rare ones who never sends an unplayable reed, but he's been "discovered" and sometimes gets backed up 5 or 6 weeks.

Doubtful I'll ever have the opportunity to play the Sibelius with an orchestra, but I have supporters in my current wind group who are trying to convince the director to program the wind arrangement of the 2nd movement of Dvořák's 9th, also a significant feature work for EH. But I'll be happy with Russian Christmas for the time being.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

Oddly enough, tuba is one of the instruments on which I dabble. My main instrument is trombone. I doubled on euphonium for a while, but now I'm only dabbling on that, too. Just not many opportunities to branch away from trombone...
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Other than tuba I also play euphonium, bass trombone (new to me), guitar, bass(fretted, no good at upright), ukulele, melodica, keyboard(badly). Now hopefully one day one of my instruments can pay the bills.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

6:25 is just about the best use of French horns I've ever heard (not a fan normally...).
braedenheld
bugler
bugler

Post by braedenheld »

Euphonium, trombone, piano, and organ are the instruments that I play well other than my tuba, but of course nothing can ever separate me from my horn for too long.