COULD A TUBA PLAYER PLAY EUPHONIUM...?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tigerreydelaselva
bugler
bugler

COULD A TUBA PLAYER PLAY EUPHONIUM...?

Post by Tigerreydelaselva »

Hello everybody: I have an enquiry...I would like to know different minds about playing euphonium for a tubist... because I was playing Euphonium trombone and tuba..
When I was a teen and later until 22...I would like to play just euphonium and tuba...but actual and mostly I'm dedicated to the tuba...I would like having your recommendations...
Regards...

Code: Select all

[code]Tigerreydelaselva
[/i]/color][/color][/size][/b]
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Re: COULD A TUBA PLAYER PLAY EUPHONIUM...?

Post by BrassedOn »

Great to see you from Argentina!

A tuba player doubling on euphonium is a great idea. I think it is common for low brass musicians to double. Some people choose to focus on one instrument because they have a main goal for their career, they truly love one instrument, or time is limited. For a lot of people, learning more than one instrument does not do long term harm. But you might feel it if you are just getting started on another instrument. And for college level, military and other professional players, tubists may already be playing on tubas in different keys or both concert tubas and sousaphones. In the US, a tuba player might be called on to play tenor tuba or contrabass trombone in an orchestra, or bass trombone if playing a pit orchestra or broadway style show. In the commercial and jazz world, I know a lot of tuba players who also play bass. And this was a common double in the past.

You'll see other posts about doubling. I now play regularly on tuba, tenor and bass trombone, and electric bass, and in the past a lot of euph and tenor tuba. Each gives me a different voice or lets me play in a range of genres. Technically, there are a few things I recommend to do:
1. Have a warm up and routine for each instrument. And do it regularly for both horns. I find how I control and move the air and articulate to be a bigger adjustment than how it feels on the face.
2. Be consistent in your mouthpiece placement, where you center the piece left to right and similar embouchure (like be consistent if you have a downward airstream).
3. It is often not necessary to have specialized "doubler's" equipment like an extra deep euphonium mouthpiece or shallow tuba mouthpiece. But if it helps you get the feel on your face and the sound you want, there are mouthpieces out there that help a lot of players.
4. Find an ensemble to play in with for your double. It can be duets, or quintet, or a different band. The challenge helps build endurance, range, and tuning, but also the instruments are written for differently.

Even as a doubler, you may always have your "main instrument", but often, after you develop your skills and face, other people would not realize which is your main horn. That being said, no shame in focusing on one instrument. For me, I get more opportunities with doubling.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

Just do it. When I was doing my masters degree in tuba performance I was principal tuba in the orchestra and the faculty brass quintet, but I was principal euphonium in the wind ensemble.
Have fun!

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I do.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I have a friend who is an excellent player with a lovely fat, dark tone. I’ve noticed lately that his tone has gained more harmonic content, particularly when playing in the staff. His sound has always been good, but now it’s just plain gorgeous.

He attributes it to playing an antique baritone in a museum band. He feels it develops muscular control in the center of his embouchure. I’ve noticed improvement in my playing when I play trombone or euph for an extended time. Playing euph can be good for yobur tuba playing.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I was a Euphonium player that learned Tuba, and I still play both regularly as well as Bass trombone. It works for me, but I must admit that I really find myself preferring to Play Tuba these days.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H