Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts.

The bulk of the musical talk
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts.

Post by Mike C855B »

Tails for the maestro and featured über-soloists I understand, but who's still requiring this for the troops? It's been black suit/white shirt/dark tie for every formal group I've played with since... uh... forever. Never had to wear a tux.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Yes, I have all-black outfits for pit work. It's funny in the low ambient with just stand lights that we appear to be a bunch of disembodied heads.

You made me look at concert pics for the closest orchestra where I'm contemplating auditioning for the sub list. Yup, tuxes. They're semi-pro - mostly community (music teachers) with some paid. Not that I mind buying formal wear, but like you say it's not something usable anywhere else. At least my black concert suit is OK for weddings and funerals. Don't have to worry about job interviews any more! :wink:
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tails??

That’s silly!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Interestingly enough, the orchestra I regularly perform with has gone to the Johnny Cash look: Black suit, black button down dress shirt... black tie is optional (though silly to me considering the all black outfit makes the accessory useless.)

I like it because it takes attention away from the orchestra itself and moves it toward the music.

The All-Star Orchestra that Gerard Schwarz hosts has a black suit and tie get up. The tie for all the men is a striped tie, but it matches, even the maestro wears it.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Turtleneck.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

bloke wrote: or tails...?? (concert wear)
White pique bow tie is standard though.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

My dream is to one day found an orchestra where the dress code is "what ever you feel most comfortable wearing." On top of that, I would remove any of the pretentious stigma associated with orchestral music so that people of all backgrounds would be more comfortable attending the concerts. I want an orchestra that on top of being musically rock solid, isn't seen as a super fancy event for rich people to go to show off their new church outfits.

It's a pipe dream, but it's MY pipe dream.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Donn wrote:Turtleneck.
Yes. It's a smart look without the restriction of a button collar and tie. If I'm the featured instrumentalist, it's black suit with white turtleneck. In a pit, black turtleneck, black pants, florescent orange socks.

Just kidding on the orange socks. But it's so tempting. :mrgreen:
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

bloke wrote: As far as the general orchestral experience is concerned, why not play parts on whatever instruments will cover the parts?
As an example, alto saxophones could easily cover viola parts, and fewer of them would be required. Mellophones would do a much better job of getting the horn sound out into the audience, and the sound would not be late. Tuba players purchase larger and larger tubas as attempts to play louder and louder bass sounds, whereas a $200 5-string bass guitar and a decent $1000 bass guitar amplifier would put out more sound in that range than would ever be needed. That having been said, most of the orchestral sounds can be synthesized these days. ... and why is everyone playing three silly pieces of music just because one guy standing up in front of them wants to play those three pieces of music? Shouldn't musicians be able to play whatever they feel like playing?
Your dream orchestra can go ahead! Rules are for the birds.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

bloke wrote:... Mellophones would do a much better job of getting the horn sound out into the audience, and the sound would not be late. ...
I know you're just tweaking us, but mellophones suck. I'll take a phalanx of euphs playing horn parts over mellophones any day. :P
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

https://goo.gl/images/vbVwuB" target="_blank" target="_blank
MORE AIR
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I had to find a 20s-30s period Tux coat and shirt when I started filling in with the Royal Society Jazz Orchestra in the 1980s. It was not easy at my size, but at least I then had a general purpose longish black formal coat for other gigs as needed. Maybe it is different for Jazz Recreation groups - there are still a few around, but have a heart for the Civil War Recreation Bands! Those uniforms are expensive and you have to get wire rim glasses, tents and stuff. And Over the Shoulder Horns.
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

I don't get the preference for long ties. Most of my life I wore long ties (when I had to wear a tie at all). But in the past ten years I've shifted over totally to bow ties. Why? They're more comfortable and stay out of the way (one reason a lot of doctors wear them). And no, I do not use pre-tied or clip-on bow ties. I learned how to tie them myself (with the help of YouTube and a mirror).

Long ties are comparatively a real pain to get to come out the the correct length when tied, and they get in the way of all kinds of things in front of you. And for some reason, a correctly tied bow tie is both snugger AND more comfortable than a long tie (no matter what knot you're using).

At least that's my experience. And I'm sticking with the bow ties -- despite any ridicule from my children.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Right. Long ties are bizarre and awkward. The only time I've ever seen the point of one, is when the attractive young woman seizes it to pull you off to a secluded location. I suspect that happens only in movies, but it certainly can't be done just as well with a bow tie. Also the bow tie doesn't get along with a saxophone neckstrap, but I doubt anyone really cares if the sax players are wearing ties.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

I can’t stand the black shirt look, unless you want your ensemble to look like a bunch of waiters?

And a black tie on a black shirt? To me that reeks of boring big bands playing soulless music that no-one enjoys to an audience of disinterested snobs.

At least the dark suit/ white shirt/ dark tie outfit looks good on all sizes of male.

My hope is for a comeback of the 1970s Michael Caine look: suit jacket with a rollneck skivvy- sophisticated yet comfortable.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

pecktime wrote:And a black tie on a black shirt? To me that reeks of boring big bands playing soulless music that no-one enjoys to an audience of disinterested snobs.
Would make sense if the performers are painting their faces and other exposed skin black, though.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I scouted around for some images that might illustrate the appropriate look for black on black attire, and it turns out that you don't paint your face black, you paint it white. Lips may be black though. Anyway, it's exquisitely formal.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Even dumber that tuxes and tails are the silly colored vests that brass bands are forced to wear over their concert black shirts. I have had to buy green, red, and blue vests over the years that basically aren't useful for anything other than in brass bands.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

I saw Marcel Marceau perform once (the father of mime). He wore all black too.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
Mark

Post by Mark »

pecktime wrote:I saw Marcel Marceau perform once (the father of mime). He wore all black too.
I don't think Facebook was around when Marcel Marceau was. How did he publish his memes?