Eastman F tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
griffinwilson
bugler
bugler

Eastman F tuba?

Post by griffinwilson »

I've heard some people talking about Eastman releasing a piston valved F tuba this coming spring, but I can't find any information on it. If anyone has any info on it, send it this way because it seems like it would be an attractive first F tuba for at least my undergrad
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Eastman F tuba?

Post by Tubadork »

It’s really good. It’s about the height of a 2250, has some 822 characteristics, but a more interesting sound. Intonation is really good. I played it for a very well know tuba player next to his 2250NP and he liked the Eastman better.

The big push right now is the 6/4 and right after that the F should be done. It’s either pretty close to being finished or it is.

Not sure what the timeline is like for it to hit the market.
I can’t wait,
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Yes!!!
griffinwilson
bugler
bugler

Post by griffinwilson »

Bump for any updates on the project
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

I wouldn't expect anything production-wise for at least a year. You will see a german-style rotary F way before the piston goes to market.

And you can bet both will be spectacular as Eastman is not in a rush and won't send anything to market before it is precisely dialed in.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Doc wrote:I’m especially interested in seeing/hearing the “lights out” rotary F tuba Chris Olka mentioned in his latest video.
Interesting... I had to bail on the video before it got to that part (ran out of time to watch...)
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

A dealer friend provided me with a list of upcoming Eastman Eb tubas with model numbers and prices (2 compensating 3+1 horns and the front valve model with 3 different bell widths), but pictures and info on their website are nowhere to be found. Why are they so slow in providing publicity materials?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

GC wrote:A dealer friend provided me with a list of upcoming Eastman Eb tubas with model numbers and prices (2 compensating 3+1 horns and the front valve model with 3 different bell widths), but pictures and info on their website are nowhere to be found. Why are they so slow in providing publicity materials?
I'm definitely interested in those Eb options! The current Eastman Eb is good but with the 17" bell I felt the sound was too close to my F sound.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

There is a pic of the rotary F on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 273&type=3" target="_blank
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 860&type=3" target="_blank

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Not sure yet on production models, I’m guessing 2019.

As I understand it and according to Chris Olka in his new video he said that it was lights out the best rotary F he has played, so I would guess it’s not too far off.

I’m a little out of the loop on this one because I’m not really a rotary guy. I did play the horn that inspired the Eastman, Bobo’s PT8 and it was killer.

The piston F was bad *** too, but I’ve heard that that will come along a bit later.

I’ve heard the number $5000, but that sounds a little low to me. I would guess maybe around $6000, but that’s more of a shot in the dark than insider information.
B

Huttl for life
thegreatrodinkis
bugler
bugler

Post by thegreatrodinkis »

Bump for more information
CC Kalison Daryl Smith - Warren Deck WD3
F BMB Gemeinhardt - Dillon Music Olka B1-A
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

I understand from Chuck Kerrigan, who is the Low Brass Product Manager at Eastman, that the rotary F is ready and will be on sale in April or May 2019!
Keep playing, because expression is life.
stevennorsworthy
pro musician
pro musician

Post by stevennorsworthy »

Any updates on the production release and price? I wonder how it compares with the Wessex Linz F just released.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Do you recall how the low c was on the Eastman?
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

Doc wrote:For clarification:

My comments above were regarding the rotary F that Wayne mentioned. I have neither seen nor played the elusive piston F from Eastman mentioned by the OP.
Very few people have. I remember seeing photos of it on a post a while back, from when someone had encountered it at a trade show in China. When I asked about the tuba at Midwest, the rep told me that the tuba was "not yet ready for primetime" and it had somehow made it into that Chinese trade show by mistake. Eastman had not intended to show it yet, and were not happy about it.

Assuming it's on par with the rest of their offerings when it is finally released, it'll be a winner.
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

This is getting exciting.

Imagine a 4/4 F tuba with the low-range and intonation of a good Yamaha yfb-621, and the breadth and depth of sound of a Hirsbrunner F, and the singing high-range of a handmade German rotary F (like a Rudy Meinl). Then, give it a $6-7K price-tag, and have the disassemble option that some of the other Eastmans have.

This has the potential to be a very fun and exciting new instrument. I like that Eastman is being patient and trying to get it right.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

Played the piston prototype and a new 6 valve version of the rotary on Wednesday. The piston will be going through some very minor tweaks, it's super close to being done. It's everything I want in a piston F, singing, bright German F sound with the ease in the low register to play anything. In a few months this horn will be a slam dunk.

New 6V rotary was AWESOME! Mine is already on order. I have a prototype rotary F for a concerto performance and have used it in a few recent videos on my YouTube Channel. Those who are interested should definitely check that out!
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Scott Sutherland wrote:Played the piston prototype and a new 6 valve version of the rotary on Wednesday. The piston will be going through some very minor tweaks, it's super close to being done. It's everything I want in a piston F, singing, bright German F sound with the ease in the low register to play anything. In a few months this horn will be a slam dunk.

New 6V rotary was AWESOME! Mine is already on order. I have a prototype rotary F for a concerto performance and have used it in a few recent videos on my YouTube Channel. Those who are interested should definitely check that out!
I'm very interested to try this, I love 6V F tubas. Is it similar in appearance to the PT9/12/16/Symphonie?
guillaumedu
bugler
bugler

Post by guillaumedu »

Freelancer
Tuba and Euphonium teacher at cégep ste-foy
Euphonium teacher at université Laval.

Rudolf meinl 5/4 CC
miraphone Firebird
MWN-7 handmade Nirschl
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Eastman F tuba mouthpiece

Post by Robert Tucci »

To date we have no information on a piston version of the EM F-Tuba. What can be said is that the relatively new RT-62 mouthpiece, PT-62 in Europe, works very well on the rotary version.

Bob Tucci