Oktubafest

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Oktubafest

Post by jperry1466 »

Since my son lives in the greater San Antonio area, I got the opportunity for the first time to play in the annual Oktubafest, which kicks off Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg, TX. There were some 40+ tuba and euphonium players playing polkas and waltzes as the crowd came in the gates. There were several retired band director long time friends in the group and quite an assortment of interesting old and new instruments, one being a BBb Helicon made in 1918 on which the player had mounted necessary accessories like a clown horn and a bicycle bell. It was great fun, but rolling my Mack Brass case through two blocks of streets, sidewalks, and crowds just wore me out.
So, always in search of an easier way, I decided next year I will bring a different horn. (Yes, it's a mellophone in F; yes, I can transpose; yes, I'm a wimp. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Back story on the mellophone

Post by jperry1466 »

At my last job, we had a band parent who was always buying instruments on ebay, having them overhauled and donating them to the band. We weren't that bad off; she was just that enthusiastic. One day she proudly brought in this "little baritone" and was a little disappointed that we said no one would use it. That was the year I retired, so before the last number of my last spring concert, she announced that the band boosters wanted to give me a present, and laid the mellophone, wrapped up in a decorative wreath, in my arms. I started laughing and couldn't stop until well after the concert was over. :lol:
Well, the mellophone does play, I've got a mouthpiece, and I hate to waste either one. And I won't need wheels. :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Oktubafest

Post by Three Valves »

I’d love an Oktubafest!! (Who wouldn’t??)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: Oktubafest

Post by jperry1466 »

It was a great event with some very good and some very "interesting" polka bands, most of whom had a tuba/sousaphone player. For doing the Oktubafest, we got free three-day passes, and yes, the beer was flowing.