Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts.

The bulk of the musical talk
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuxedos are for coachmen and weddings, not concerts.

Post by toobagrowl »

I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.
Other gigs have me wearing 'pit black' , some Polo shirt outfit, or something else :!:
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

David Richoux wrote:Best uniform I ever wore was when I played with the “Be Natural Jazz Band” - black bow tie and towel! (We played at several Naturalist resorts in California.)
Um, that would be "Naturist." A "Naturalist" is a person who studies history, philosophy, etc., the "natural laws of the universe." Yes, a person could be both, but make sure if you are invited to a naturalist philosophy discussion, you don't show up without clothes on!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

toobagrowl wrote:I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.
Other gigs have me wearing 'pit black' , some Polo shirt outfit, or something else :!:
[Sigh!] Does nobody dress appropriately for the job anymore and view wardrobe as an investment instead of simply something to try to avoid spending money on?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It's a costume, to be seen from a distance. Once that objective is satisfied, the rest is up to you. If fine garments make your day better, that's great, or a lucky rabbit's foot or silver dollar - whatever floats your boat.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Best not to spend a lot on clothes, then.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

mikebmiller wrote:Was it "good naked" or "bad naked?"
Good - family style resorts, very nice company. I did it 3 times, the band maybe had eight
gigs altogether.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

iiipopes wrote:
David Richoux wrote:Best uniform I ever wore was when I played with the “Be Natural Jazz Band” - black bow tie and towel! (We played at several Naturalist resorts in California.)
Um, that would be "Naturist." A "Naturalist" is a person who studies history, philosophy, etc., the "natural laws of the universe." Yes, a person could be both, but make sure if you are invited to a naturalist philosophy discussion, you don't show up without clothes on!
Damn spellcheck! I knew I was somewhat close...
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Post by Mtrhed »

Check with your local tux rental shop, chances are they have an outlet attached to their distribution center. These outlets sell tuxes and all the parts a pieces dirt cheap. Some bargain tux’s that maybe last years style ,(Still too trendy for me!), but I’ve also bought some jackets from my local outlet that have never been worn. eBay is also a good source just know your sizes. If you shop around a bit you can get a tux for less then the cost of a new set of jeans, loafers, and name brand shirt.
If you need to wear a tux more then twice a year you should just buy one outright. As much as I like wearing tuxedos, sometimes, for certain performances, I just prefer wearing “Concert Black”. I always seem to play better when I’m dressed up. If you look like a winner....
Mtrhed
Keizer,OR
1912-14 Martin BB 6/4 rotary valve top-action
Conn BB 21J -F/A 4+1 conversion "Conn-Zilla"
2014 Wessex "Mighty Midget"
1918 York BB Model #33
King BB 1241 w/both bells
Caravelle B Commuter
Bruscher B Helicon
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

iiipopes wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:I still have the tux I bought back in college. Of course, I've gotten fatter since then, so I just use black dress pants to go with the tux coat. I lost my cummerbund years ago :? But I still have the clip-on bow tie. Sometimes I just use a regular white dress shirt with the outfit if the tux ruffle shirt isn't clean. Noone seems to notice. Not gonna spend a lot of money on a stupid penguin suit I don't wear very often. I did buy some decent black dress shoes a couple years ago that still look great.
[Sigh!] Does nobody dress appropriately for the job anymore and view wardrobe as an investment instead of simply something to try to avoid spending money on?
Dressing smartly reeks of western paternal classism, you, sir, are a fuddy-daddy!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.