Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by bort »

Cool... I fly into O'Hare when I visit, so it sounds like it should be very easy from there as well.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:Carl Kleinsteuber has an Eb tuba he made himself that is one of the best tubas I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It's phenomenal in every way. Truly a BAT Eb, the tone of a great CC with the lightning response of a great Eb

That's what I want. His horn. Period. If I can't have it, how about a really well made copy of it?
I have played Carl’s Eb and agree it is a great playing tuba. A Wessex 6/4 Eb is planned, so watch this space!
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Will the 6/4 Eb stick to a compensating design or will we see a 4p 1r?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

DouglasJB wrote:Will the 6/4 Eb stick to a compensating design or will we see a 4p 1r?
Initially a 4+1 with 3+1 compensated version later. It will also be hand-hammered so will compliment existing range, rather than replacing another model
Teditiks
lurker
lurker

Post by Teditiks »

Wyvern wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:Carl Kleinsteuber has an Eb tuba he made himself that is one of the best tubas I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It's phenomenal in every way. Truly a BAT Eb, the tone of a great CC with the lightning response of a great Eb

That's what I want. His horn. Period. If I can't have it, how about a really well made copy of it?
I have played Carl’s Eb and agree it is a great playing tuba. A Wessex 6/4 Eb is planned, so watch this space!

Oh how sweet that sounds to my ears.... :) Really good news, it pays off to wait a wee bit....
Do you have an estimated launch for this one, will it be 2019 or 2020?

To paraphrase Harry Potter, You are seriously up to a lot of good ;)

//T
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

It would be really nice to get something similar to that Kaiser BBb but in CC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

dasanchezr wrote:It would be really nice to get something similar to that Kaiser BBb but in CC
There is a small but interested group if people who want this. I've always wanted this too but there are very few options.

A few Cerveny models, which can be okay, or the Alex 164 CC... which is a cut down BBb and a mess... A real Kaiserr CC would be neat. However, at some point, Wessex has to meet demand, and not just fill in the missing combinations of everything based on a few people and potential sales.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Teditiks wrote: Oh how sweet that sounds to my ears.... :) Really good news, it pays off to wait a wee bit....
Do you have an estimated launch for this one, will it be 2019 or 2020?
I want to get out 2019, but it has got to wait its place in line. Wessex is keeping both the measuring ladies and tooling department at factory working to full capacity, so I don’t want to send more their way until they catch up :wink:
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

dasanchezr wrote:It would be really nice to get something similar to that Kaiser BBb but in CC
I will not rule out, but I don’t think the Kaiser BBb is really suitable for successfully adapting. Would require something new, maybe inspired by my Neptune, but I would hope better still. When I now try my Neptune back to back with the new Chicago CC, it is to be honest just not as responsive.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:Jonathan, have you ever looked into building a true "suitcase tuba"?

Not a compact travel tuba, but a 3/4 horn with a removable bell and maybe a folding valve section that can be put inside a suitcase

I can find a couple different examples for you if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about. You wouldn't need to invent a whole new horn, just modify one you already offer
I am not sure what you mean, so do send me PM with details
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Wyvern wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:Jonathan, have you ever looked into building a true "suitcase tuba"?

Not a compact travel tuba, but a 3/4 horn with a removable bell and maybe a folding valve section that can be put inside a suitcase

I can find a couple different examples for you if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about. You wouldn't need to invent a whole new horn, just modify one you already offer
I am not sure what you mean, so do send me PM with details

https://www.kanstul.com/up-up-and-away- ... ing-tubas/" target="_blank
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

Wyvern wrote:
I will not rule out, but I don’t think the Kaiser BBb is really suitable for successfully adapting. Would require something new, maybe inspired by my Neptune, but I would hope better still. When I now try my Neptune back to back with the new Chicago CC, it is to be honest just not as responsive.
I can totally see the idea of using a Neptune, I used to own a one too (beautiful tone I must add) and I can also see the York models being way more responsive especially the Pressense, if it had to be inspired on it I would suggest a smaller bell like you did with the Chicago model maybe 19” (48cm).
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

I'd like to see a bigger selection of F tubas. I heard the Berg is a fantastic tuba but I'd still like to see a bit more variety like what you have with your Eb tubas.

Perhaps maybe a piston F or a 6-valve rotary F. A larger size one maybe in 5/4 or 6/4 would be nice.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

IsaacTuba wrote:I'd like to see a bigger selection of F tubas. I heard the Berg is a fantastic tuba but I'd still like to see a bit more variety like what you have with your Eb tubas.

Perhaps maybe a piston F or a 6-valve rotary F. A larger size one maybe in 5/4 or 6/4 would be nice.
A 6-valve is made, the TF436H - to be exhibited at the Midwest next week...and Washington DC and TMEA.

The incredible British F tuba will also be made in 5-valve front action piston configuration, while Chuck Nickles has a large piston F in design. By this time next year, Wessex will have all varieties of F tuba in the range.

These will all be made high-grade, which means handmade by craftsmen, and not on the production line.
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

What's up with the CC Helicon??? Had heard it was coming in 2018, there are only a few more weeks left in 2018.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

What is the update on the German Kaiser BBb?
-Eric (von Schteric)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

TubaDude wrote:What's up with the CC Helicon??? Had heard it was coming in 2018, there are only a few more weeks left in 2018.
Still on its way, but got pushed back in schedule to prioritise other new horns. Now expect out by ITEC conference
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

WakinAZ wrote:What is the update on the German Kaiser BBb?
-Eric (von Schteric)
The Kaiser is a big success going by feedback from those professionals which have play tested. The prototype is now being played in a leading German orchestra (for Wagner Siegfried). The first production batch should be available April 2019.

The second prototype will be at Midwest, DC and TMEA.

With the Kaiser, Wessex really moves onto the next level, with new large ornate bell engraving; and with option of German Voigt valves and made from German brass - and of course all hand-hammered by the craftsmen of our high-grade team
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

Thanks Jonathan. Any chance of a pic or? two..
Edit: Never mind, I saw them on your Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook but it let me see them anyway.
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

Chicago showroom?