Please Have a Look at This User Account. Thanks.

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Please Have a Look at This User Account. Thanks.

Post by iiipopes »

Mark Finley wrote:The system works well, but twice in the last two years a spammer has gotten through. Nobody approved the account, they just appeared and started posting. I guess there was a glitch in the matrix.
Matrix Meme.jpg
Oh, by the way: we don't type on typewriters anymore. We don't double-space after periods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I guess I just read more quickly than all of you.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Seriously, I am not trying to be a smart-***. My first stepfather and my mom owned a print shop. I helped set it up and was their first typesetter while I was waiting for my professional qualifications to be graded and approved. And yes, I have always read quickly. For example, one day of my professional test is based on answering multiple choice questions, but the fact setup for each question is almost a full column long, three columns to a page. Two sessions for that day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Three hours each. Many applicants do not finish. The morning session I finished in 2:45, and the afternoon session I finished in 2:30 and was allowed to turn in my materials and leave early. So yes, I do read more quickly and smoothly than most people. Oh, yes, I passed. With a very high score.

Back to the print shop: we never double spaced after a period, because we used real typefaces, not typewriter courier or what passes for Times New Roman. I was also an editor of sorts, and was in charge of making sure everything was absolutely readable and legible, whatever the project, from business cards to books. Much of our repeat business was because of this quality. So my opinion is based on the years of helping out in a real hands-on-every-day-rubber-meets-the-road experience instead of a contrived "study" quoted above. I stand by my opinion. And as you can tell, unless Mark edits it, everything in this post is single-spaced.

Epilogue: it is absolutely dreadful that of all the thousands of type faces, this study chose the WORST legible typeface possible. So anything that by its inherent nature detracts from readability may, by the nature of the typeface, need a tad more space between certain letters or certain punctuation marks so a person can actually read the wretched document. So the issue is really much more complex than simply a 1- or 2-space discussion. For example, here are the twelve most recommended typefaces by LinkedIn for resume writing. Notice that Courier, whether original Courier, American Typewriter, or the bastard "New" Courier used in the "study," is NOT listed: https://learning.linkedin.com/blog/desi ... for-print-" target="_blank . Note also the article discusses the appropriate spacing between letters, what we call "leading." It is not a matter of 1- or 2-spacings, it is dependent on the typeface. As an aside, I have been a fan of the Stone family of typefaces, one of which is mentioned in this list, for legibility, readability and smoothness, since it came out over thirty years ago.

One last item for clarity and proper nomenclature: the style of the letters collectively is known as the "typeface." The variations on the theme, such as size, bold, italic, etc., are the "fonts." So the proper way to say it is: "John composed the document using Times New Roman typeface set in 12-point regular weight font."
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.