Helicon Valves Clicking

Repair and modification discussion
iattp
bugler
bugler

Helicon Valves Clicking

Post by iattp »

I made a video today of my Cerveny helicon. It's got really clicky-clacky valves. If I lived anywhere NEAR anyone who knows how to fix horns, I'd go, buuuuut I'm serving in the Peace Corps in Macedonia. I've heard that there's a guy in Bulgaria who works on horns, but basically all the horn players I've spoken with out here have said there is no one in country who could repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_2oeYK2PI" target="_blank

There's a video of me discussing the clacky valves. I changed the silicon bumpers on the second valve to cork (which is kinda hard to find here, and I think I drank a total of 6 liters just to find a bottle with good cork, hey, I ain't complaining THAT much).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Helicon Valves Clicking

Post by windshieldbug »

Hold the stop arm still and see if the noise is in the stop arm or the linkage...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

iattp wrote:I made a video today of my Cerveny helicon. It's got really clicky-clacky valves. If I lived anywhere NEAR anyone who knows how to fix horns, I'd go, buuuuut I'm serving in the Peace Corps in Macedonia. I've heard that there's a guy in Bulgaria who works on horns, but basically all the horn players I've spoken with out here have said there is no one in country who could repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_2oeYK2PI" target="_blank" target="_blank

There's a video of me discussing the clacky valves. I changed the silicon bumpers on the second valve to cork (which is kinda hard to find here, and I think I drank a total of 6 liters just to find a bottle with good cork, hey, I ain't complaining THAT much).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message
Tubas
iattp
bugler
bugler

Post by iattp »

I held the stop arm. It still kinda clicks. There's no real play with the valves, they don't go up and down like my old Eb, thankfully. They sit nice and pretty. Still loud...I put on some cork stoppers instead on the second valve, and it's a little quieter. Sadly, most wines out here use a screw-top, so I had to go through about 3 different brands to find one with a good cork. I'm not complaining, Macedonian wines are GOOD (and cheap).
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker