3+3 valve tuba ???

Repair and modification discussion
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

3+3 valve tuba ???

Post by marccromme »

I find it takes some training time to get used to a 5V non-compensated tuba fingerings, plus the little pinky schlepping the 4th is always hard to do in combinations involving 4+2 and 4+3
Then there are 4+2 - giving better intonation, but same issue with the little finger.

Now I got a silly idea: combining a 3V Eb tuba, adding a 3V Bb tuba valve set, makes automatically a 6V tuba in 3+3 layout. No little finger needed! Standard layout on both hands.

The Bb 3rd valve probably needs some length adjustment to function as an Eb 4th valve (lowering a quart from Eb), but the Bb1st circuit makes a perfect-in-tune Eb 5th, and the Bb 2nd a perfect Eb 6th valve.

Fingering is the same as a 4+2 layout, just with the difference that the quart valve is at the 3rd in left hand.

Everything is done using standard components - and Eb horn and an additional Bb valve set giving increasing bore towards the bell for free.

Silly or ingenious idea ??
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: 3+3 valve tuba ???

Post by iiipopes »

Comments:

1) the original Wieprecht-Moritz tubas had 3+2 or 3+3 fingerings, so there is nothing new in the world; and
2) The French C tuba functions in a similar manner.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

iiipopes wrote:Comments:

1) the original Wieprecht-Moritz tubas had 3+2 or 3+3 fingerings, so there is nothing new in the world; and
2) The French C tuba functions in a similar manner.
Wessex sells a French C tuba. here's a link to the page showing it:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tu ... tuba-tc236" target="_blank
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Hal - what a nice looking tuba - what is it ?? What is the tuning of the left hand valves?

Both the Wessex and the original C-tuba have odd valve length - the idea oaf a 3+3 is to have the usual vlave length, just moving the right hand 4th til left hand 3rd. Anybody has don this?
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Thanks for the explanaiton of the Dr. Fred Young tuba layout. I never thought of using the 6 valves for 6 consecutive half-tone step lenght, such that no combinations are needed down to the tritonus E, only single valves. Cool idea.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Not to sound disrespectful, but there's not very much I like about that Fred Young tuba. If it works for him, great. But for me... "no thanks."
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Dr. Young’s son blogged:
I just uploaded two videos, and I hope to upload some more. The videos are on YouTube...In some of the videos I am playing the trombone part on a euphonium. In all the quintet videos my mother is playing the (french) horn part on a horn and my father is playing the tuba part on his monster BBb/EEE tuba. It has been nearly 20 years since the day this video was made. The link http://youtu.be/pdb3LHRv4YQ" target="_blank takes you to a tuba solo written by Georges Barboteu and performed by Dr. Frederick J. Young in Smethport, PA, USA.
The link indicated does not work. Where are these videos?
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

The concept of 6 semitone valves is nothing new - Adolphe Sax did it over 150 years ago.

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
ValiantAdam
lurker
lurker

Post by ValiantAdam »

Preview announcement: I'm collecting pictures now and will soon post my Wessex TC236 French C tuba for sale.

It's a marvelous instrument, and I enjoyed exploring the 6-valve configuration. However, I confess to my intermediate playing skills at this point in life, and this instrument is more than I can manage right now. I've got to focus on my current performance opportunities and I can do that much more quickly on my Jupiter XO 1680 CC tuba (which surprised me at how well this tuba plays!) and a Besson BE164 euphonium that I have. (I play other instruments, as well, which also need attention as the holiday season of 2019 approaches.)

Just in case you are in the market for the Wessex TC236 (lacquered brass model), post a reply and I will prioritize getting my for-sale ad posted.

"Being 'Valiant' is useful, but it's no replacement for diligent hours of practice!"
ValiantAdam
lurker
lurker

Post by ValiantAdam »

Thanks to folks who responded to my posting about my intention to sell a Wessex TC236. During the 2019 holiday shopping season, I got it sold pretty quickly by posting it on Reverb. Buyer seemed pretty happy with it, so good for him! It was an expensive learning experience for me, although it was fun. But that's what I've been doing this year, so I'm content.

If you have any burning questions about this instrument, you can send me a PM and I'll try to answer them.

Meanwhile, in case you are reading this thread because you want a good CC tuba...

Although I'm only an intermediate player who is working his way back into playing shape, I would like to report my excellent experience with a new Jupiter XO 1680 CC tuba. A few years ago I was playing a Miraphone 186 CC 5V, but I never got quite as comfortable on that instrument as I immediately felt with the Jupiter. Maybe it's because I've generally preferred pistons to rotors. Maybe I should have looked for a Miraphone 1291 CC?, but those are out of my price range. But I feel that the 1680 operates very well, including that the tuning slides move as they should, for example; they are well fitted. I'm also finding that the pitches in different ranges seem very well centered. That is, as compared to the cheap instruments that I can't even get to play right, this 1680 leads me right into the correct pitch for each note I blow in both the low and middle ranges. (I'm not playing well in the higher ranges yet, so I can't report on those.)

If you're interested, you might still be able to land a good deal from "Quinn the Eskimo" at his Reverb store. I would think that schools would appreciate a good deal on a very decent instrument. If you decide to contact him, he might appreciate that "George in Kingwood, TX" has referred you. He seems like a very decent person and he's very helpful during the sales cycle. He would recognize me also because I bought my Jupiter 1680 and my Besson BE164 from him, both just recently.