Strangest gig you’ve done on Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Re: Strangest gig you’ve done on Tuba

Post by dmmorris »

2015: Weirdest & fun all in a single gig. Did a Pub Crawl in Durham, NC with the Bulltown Strutters street band. The crawl was led by a wildman in a Yeti suit. Helping the Great Divide Brewing Co. celebrate the release of a couple of nice Stouts.
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The strangeness is not the gig, but the non-sequitur of the reaction. Prologue: when I can, I volunteer to play for an hour for a Salvation Army kettle if the weather is not too cold for my blood clotting condition. Yes over the years, many have thanked me. One year I received a letter from the Major thanking me for my hour filling the kettle with the most donations. Seeing parents give their children a coin to put in the kettle as I play Frosty the Snowman is a wonderful experience. And so on. I encourage everyone to volunteer an hour if possible.

The strange one was one year I was playing in front of a major chain drugstore. Everything was going as you would imagine it does: people in-and-out, a few donations, repeating a tune here and there as the crowd turned over. Then a lady in a business suit, late model car, etc., dashes into the parking lot and parks, runs in to get her one item, as from appearances, late to her next appointment. I continue to play, of course. After a few minutes, she comes running back out towards her car. She abruptly stops, turns around, and comes back to me. She announces loudly, "This sure beats the hell out of those damn bells!" and proceeds to shove multiple greenbacks into the kettle! I paused, thanked her, and went back to playing.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Major entertainment complex.
Big hotel with lodge theme.
Quartet.
Christmas holiday music. 3 hours. 3 sets.
Lots of kids and families.
Whole hotel extravagantly but traditionally decked out.

Costume: We were issued “off hours lumberjack duds”.
Work boots, washed out longjohns, and a coonskin cap a la Daniel Boone.
Nothing else.

Standing up set. But at least not strolling.
Our personal geography “below the belt” were clearly outlined.
I could feel a draft from the flap even with drawers on.

People could not look at us. Kids did not come and talk to us.

So embarrassing.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

Once I played in a tuba quartet at a Christmas party for a country bar. They were line dancing to four tubas!
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

The strangest gig (and most dangerous) for me was back at Mannes. I was hired to play tuba in a german band for the fraternal order of Police in Manhattan, NYC. 300 heavy drinking police officers. The scary part was that they were all very upset as two of their own had been murdered that morning. There was a tremendous amount of anger in the room and several officers got on the microphones to let their bretheren know what was going to happen next. I was only 17 and rather scared as a newbie in NYC.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
KyleMG
bugler
bugler

Post by KyleMG »

This past summer (and only one of the two gigs I've ever had) saw me playing tuba with what you could call a folk singer (at least, that's the closest genre to what this guy played). As is usual with "local music", he had a basic idea of what he wanted me and the other guy (a bari sax/clarinet doubler) to play. We had two performances - one in a toy store (that actually filled up pretty well), and one in one of those party halls - of which we had two people in the audience.
Miraphone 188
Miraphone Firebird
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I remember in college, having to play Stars & Stripes at dental product convention. One of the toothpaste companies was unveiling a new toothpaste called "Stripes", and the product announcement speech from the CEO was in the style of a military general talking to his troops; he had even rented the actual costume worn by George C. Scott in the movie Patton.

The speech fell flat, there was mild applause, and it was quiet when we left. It was bizarre. I never did see "Stripes" toothpaste.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Okay, I'll bite. When I was stationed in Germany, we were going to be on a Frankfurt TV station, playing backup to Chubby Checker. The only catch was, they pre-recorded the band to get the levels right, and wanted us to dance around on stage with Chubby while they were filming. Needless to say, we had sax players "playing" sousaphones during filming, trumpet players "playing clarinet, etc. All of us holding the instruments backwards, improperly (of course) and trying to control our laughter throughout the shoot. I don't think anyone but Chubby and us knew what was going on . . . but we sure looked like we were having a great time!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottM »

For a number of years my wife and I have played as part of a brass quintet for the home tour in Marshall Michigan. Part of the gig was to climb up into the bell tower of the Episcopal church and play around the bell. Sound got out fine due to all the openings in the tower. Horns were brought up on a rope and you followed on the ladder. Ladder was designed for someone about 6'6" as the rungs are about 20+" apart. Not fun for 5"3" me. Last couple years we have stopped climbing as they altered the tower openings so the sound did not get out as well, and we are all older and don't like the climb. I did get paid and we got a great lunch so it was worth it.
ScottM
PS: Tower room was too small for a trombone slide so used two trumpets, two horns and tuba. Played traditional tower music by Pezel.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

the gigs that weird me out the most are those very-general business gigs that pay well, but have an uncaring audience.

the electroacoustic free improvisation gigs that are actually weird are the ones that are the most fun for me.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

ronr wrote:New flag pole installed at a strip mall. Brass quintet played patriotic music; mostly Sousa.
That bit of oddness sounds like actual fun.
Tubas
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Maybe not the strangest gig, but awkward.

I played a gig at a nice “social club” type place. Fancy for the area. They had just raised a bunch of money for nothing important & were enjoying themselves & having a party. Everyone was super friendly & there was an open bar. Drinks, including alcoholic drinks, were offered to the band as we played. I politely declined. I think one of the guys had an iced tea or ginger ale or something) At the end, the group was very appreciative & we were even approached & offered more $ to play a little longer and hired back for the next year. It was a great gig.

The next year, the same venue: the announcer for our group asked at the bar if he could have a some water before the set started: “we have instructions: absolutely nothing for the band”. I can’t get a glass of water? “No”

They were dead serious.
Tubas
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Was it Bob’s Country Bunker??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Three Valves wrote:Was it Bob’s Country Bunker??
We've got both kinds of music!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bort wrote:
Three Valves wrote:Was it Bob’s Country Bunker??
We've got both kinds of music!

Be grateful for that chicken wire!
Last edited by windshieldbug on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Jewba98
lurker
lurker

Post by Jewba98 »

Some of my friends and I recently finished up doing a series of parade gigs for a Peruvian catholic marching band in New England... Im Jewish
MM-CIM ‘23
No scales is no life
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

cktuba wrote:https://videos.files.wordpress.com/QvbU ... 07_dvd.mp4" target="_blank

In a truck on a truck.... it was actually pretty fun... at one point I was handed a Shiner Bock... good gig.
That is awesome!

Did they let you use a ladder to get in? Or did they roll the upper truck forward, giving you room to stand behind it, so it was like loading into a truck... de capo?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Still pondering what might be strangest for me.

Which might be difficult to pinpoint, as i might accused of bringing the strangeness with me. At least at some level i hope to aspire to that.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

cktuba wrote:Image
Thanks!
Thanks for playing!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

cktuba wrote:at one point I was handed a Shiner Bock...
...by a person with very, very long arms :arrow: :?: