Ben Jaffe on Armanpour & Co. - PBS aired 11/16/18

The bulk of the musical talk
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Ben Jaffe on Armanpour & Co. - PBS aired 11/16/18

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Ben Jaffe on Armanpour & Co. - PBS aired 11/16/18

Post by Three Valves »

I smell a thesis...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Basin Street Blues has a long history. Spencer Williams gets credit as composer, but he only published the chorus.
Jack Teagarden and Glenn Miller got together and composed the verse, ("Won't you come along with me...") borrowing the melody of that opening line from Jelly Roll Morton's "Jungle Blues".
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I understand “Jelly Roll’s” stage name was originally “Big Dark Chocolate Eclair” but when he started getting published, it didn’t make it past the censors!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Three Valves wrote:I smell a thesis...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A possible title could be "Race and Music in America: the history and influence of "Jazz" from New Orleans and beyond".

Depending on the emphasis the authour wanted to put on various factors, other titles (streams) could be applied.

The music of "the South", with its multiplicity of starting points, is well deserving of some thorough study with several possible branches.

Maybe some tuba playing doctoral candidate somewhere will explore and harvest this and come up with something more worthwhile than a final recital of RVW concerto and other bits of over performed, undermusical pap.
Free to tuba: good home
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

A cigar is never just a cigar.

Not any more, it ain’t!!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Ken Herrick wrote:
Three Valves wrote:I smell a thesis...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A possible title could be "Race and Music in America: the history and influence of "Jazz" from New Orleans and beyond".

Depending on the emphasis the authour wanted to put on various factors, other titles (streams) could be applied.
Hey.

I said thesis.

Not another Ken Burns 20 part series!! :tuba:
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Bloke, here's another photo of Alan Jaffe with his helicon:

We were the warmup act for the Pres. Hall band that night in the huge basement of the Hartford Civic Center. I also had a nice chat with Narvin Kimball.

Some famous rock band was playing up in the main hall; I think it was the Stones.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

I first met Al Jaffe in the late 70s - Los Trancos Woods Community Marching Band opened at Stanford University Frost Amphitheater’s 4th of July show for many years, Pres Hall was always the closer. Al saw my WW1 era Conn Helicon and wanted to buy it, but since it was my only parade horn at the time, I had to refuse. He did invite all of us to come to NOLA for the recently started Jazz Festival and some of us took him up on that. He had offered to put us up for the week in the “back room” of the hall, but when we got there we saw it was a dirt floor warehouse and full of spiders and bugs - much more than other buildings in The Quarter, so we declined. He said jazz fans from Europe stayed there all the time but we still declined.
He did let me play a few of the Helicons in his collection and after that he said I could sit in for a few songs at the end of the last set of the night. Having played for a couple of years in a Lu Watters/Turk Murphy style band, I said I would do that. I did OK, but afterwards the pianist (I forget who it was that night) told me “All you West Coast guys don’t play some of the chords right!” But he wasn’t being mean about it ;-)

That evening is when I met 8 or 9 year old Ben.