These Stupid Ads!

Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Feedback or suggestions. Be kind. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: These Stupid Ads!

Post by Ace »

Mark Finley wrote:I've using an ad blocking app, so I don't see them. Can you post a screen shot or email it to me?
Hey Mark. I see those ads, also. What's the name of your ad-blocking software?

Ace
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I'm using safari and ad block and I never see any ads here or anywhere for that matter.

As for a pay subscription model - I think you would lose a minimum of 75% of the eyeballs here - which would mean less sponsor revenue - so it becomes a catch 22 of raising the subscriber fee even more to cover that short fall - which in turn means even less eyeballs. I know I wouldn't be a pay subscriber and I've bought stuff or used the services of a whole lot of sponsors here. I think you would see most people simply migrate to FB - which while inferior to this forum format - it is free and available to all. Very few content sellers have been able to make a fee base model work.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

the elephant wrote:Aaaaaand now it seems to have gone back to normal. I cannot find any ads that are doing this.

Whatever...
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

You folks do realize we aren’t software engineers, correct? If you’re having issues with posts blocked by ads, it’s your computer or browser settings. There is no way to dismantle add if you’re a sponsor.

If someone wants to step up and program settings on some message software for little to no money, give me a holler.
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Mark Finley wrote:Farah and Sean both wrote me to tell me that they are looking into options
I'm hopeful for good changes, guys. I will let you folks know either way. I know everyone here appreciates the community. I'd like for you all to be happy about any
positive changes. Thank you for the feedback.

--farah
--farah chisham
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

the elephant wrote:It has been specifically requested that we not block ads here several times in a he past. Additionally, there is a new type of ad that went active recently that not much seems to be able to block. There was a long thread about it recently.
Well - I'm running Safari - on a Mac Pro and I never see an ad (including whatever the new type of ad that you are talking about) using AdBlock. Nobody else running Safari seems to be having an Ad problem here on TubeNet and I don't see ads any where on the web with adblock.

As for your pay model - well it seems like most people here are not having any issues with ads. So now all these folks who are not seeing ads now - should pay $20 with a new model to not see ads under your new system - when with the current system they pay zero? I think the old adage - if it works don't fix it - applies here. This isn't a community of 50,000 users. If you take out the bots and the people with multiple accounts I think we have maybe 3000 real users and how many of those are that active that they are willing to pay for the privilege of the occasional drive by visit to not see ads? I bet most people only sell the occasional item here, but do actually buy a good amount of stuff from the sponsors -who seem to get enough business to justify the cost of sponsoring. Is it worth $20 a year to sell a $60 MP every few years for the majority of users? I would think not. The current revenue feeds seem to be at a minimum enough for Sean & Farah to cover the cost of keeping the place up and running. I know if I was faced with getting a bunch of junk in the feed under a new system or pay $20 to not get the junk in the feed I'd pass, but I'm sure there are others who would pay up. The question is if that number is high enough to keep the sponsors around -as departing eyeballs are no longer seeing sponsors and their stuff eyeballs.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

the elephant wrote:Or I could use an ad blocker all the time. Which I have been asked to not do, on several occasions…
What's the reason for that? Lost ad revenue?

I always thought that ads were paid per click... and for the ads that pop up most of the time, who on earth is clicking these things anyway, except by accident? Even if it IS something that seems relevant to me, I'm still not actually going to click the link. I'll just type the URL in the address bar. Maybe that's just me?

Or is the revenue from ads generated some other way, and not even displaying the ad is some sort of loss of revenue?
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

I believe it is about the "sponsors" banner ads also being blocked. They pay to have those displayed.
Maybe a solution would be to add another forum for the sponsors banner ads only with only the sponsor or admin being able to post in it or alter them.
I agree that I prefer using adblock plus and keeping all my viewing ad free. I'm guessing that the bots would also pay something based on the number of clicks on their ads, otherwise why would they be allowed. One of those "you can't please everybody all the time" situations.
Free to tuba: good home
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

I have noticed the same problem as Wade. I just checked it on both Chrome and Firefox on my Android Samsung S8 phone. The ads are interweaved between each response of this thread or at least every other. So it makes a nice striped pattern of ads and content.
The ad seriously are almost as much space on the page as the content. Reminds me of the old days when you'd get those toolbars and you'd get so many toolbars you couldn't see your browser window.
Anyways junky and spammy and a really poor user experience.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I get that on my phone, Wade. It's kind of goofy, but I have learned to ignore it.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Your phone IS SPYING ON YOU!!!!!
A bit of insight can be found at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-25/ ... e/10306586" target="_blank
Valid point, Bloke! The more tech gear one uses the more vulnerable one is.

I believe there are blockers available for iPhones. A lot of the ads you get would be a result of your phone collecting all sorts of data and passing it on.

When you buy a new phone, my advice is be wary of Hauwei and other "ALL CHINESE" brands. The government owns many makers and they are compelled to cooperate with the government. China HAS an agenda and uses seemingly friendly means to achieve it.

The toys like google home and such are continually listening and collecting information on you. BIG BROTHER has a whole family keeping tabs on you.

A few months ago I received an email from a friend which mentioned CNC lathes being used in his business. Within hours I started getting emails from CNC lathe makers and dealers. Nothing suspicious about that .?.?.?

Using "free" public wifi offers more snoopers the chance to monitor you.

Is a VPN (virtual private network) the answer. Wellllllllll, maybe - IF that provider is not also spying on you and selling the info it collects after lulling you into a "safe place".

Sweet dreams all.
Free to tuba: good home
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Anyone else notice that the ads now are in the middle of member’s posts? One post there were two ads with pictures breaking up the post. This is with tablet not PC. My PC has an ad blocker.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bort wrote:
the elephant wrote:Or I could use an ad blocker all the time. Which I have been asked to not do, on several occasions…
What's the reason for that? Lost ad revenue?
Yep.
Everyone blocking ads kind of defeats the purpose of running them. Started reading phpBB discussions, and there are extensions that deny users running ad blockers for that reason.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Block the ads. I really don't care at all. How can anyone tell?
--farah chisham