Looking for instrument ideas - Found

The bulk of the musical talk
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Looking for instrument ideas

Post by swillafew »

I have one on the market now, a B&S GR51 in very good condition with hard and soft cases. I am selling because I do my playing in small groups (F tubas there) , and have picked up trombone as a rival to the tuba for the main axe.

MORE AIR
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Go for that Sander CC that's on the market.

I'm dying to play the Rotary Conn Orch Grand at Baltimore Brass, too!
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Frank Ortega wrote:Go for that Sander CC that's on the market.
Frank!
Good to hear from you, buddy. I have been ogling it, but my concern would be how well it would hold up to daily use considering the age. The massive BART project horn is definitely fragile and I would need something durable.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

bloke wrote:
bort wrote:
Marty -- how about this one?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89986" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I believe I would probably (??) pick a fine example of one of those over (very specifically) a 186-BB.
I'd also pick the B&S 101/'Sonora' over the Mira 186 :!: I'm not sure it is much 'fatter' in tone than the Mira 186, but the B&S (and clone) is definitely deeper/darker in tone. And it has similarly good response, pitch and build :tuba: Oddly overlooked on here for other models, but there are a few players here who own/enjoy it. I'd seriously buy one if I had the extra money.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ There's one for $1800 at BBC right now.

Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

I considered mentioning the B&S stencil, but as much as I'm enjoying mine post-play conditioning it's definitely not bigger than a 186. (Disclaimer: going from memory when I sat next to a 186 player for a semester)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I think I have narrowed it down to a 5 valve CC, if that helps. Max price point around 2,000.
To recap - wanted - all the good of a 186, but with a higher threshold for "breaking" and a potentially darker sound.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

MartyNeilan wrote:I think I have narrowed it down to a 5 valve CC, if that helps. Max price point around 2,000.
:shock: Pretty ambitious demand for that price....
That said, you may be able to get a used full-sized Chinese-made M&M or Schiller 5v CC tuba for about that price.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

pjv said: "The valves are always "on time" so they don't get in the way of where my lips want to vibrate (does this make sense?)."

Yes. I noticed it particularly in changing to different (French) horns....the lever throws are different and I had to adjust to the different timing of when the valve was fully open so that I didn't clam. It was interesting. It's just one of those things that you adjust to.
Alecgrinage
bugler
bugler

Post by Alecgrinage »

Alexander 163
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

the elephant wrote:Meinl-Weston 32 - CC, 5 valves, 186 size with a sound more like a 188, reasonable intonation, don't fetch too much on the used market. BUT there are not that many on the market to begin with. Heavy, built like a tank.
Just got one (actually a detachable bell 33.) Checks all the right boxes, and one of those horns that the more I start playing it, the more I like it. Been almost a year since my first post in this thread so I had a little more budget to work with.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

bloke wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:
the elephant wrote:Meinl-Weston 32 - CC, 5 valves, 186 size with a sound more like a 188, reasonable intonation, don't fetch too much on the used market. BUT there are not that many on the market to begin with. Heavy, built like a tank.
Just got one (actually a detachable bell 33.) Checks all the right boxes, and one of those horns that the more I start playing it, the more I like it. Been almost a year since my first post in this thread so I had a little more budget to work with.
If heading west (and have room in your car) bring it along and stop by for a meal.
I'm not looking to work on it. :arrow: I'd just like to see it.

btw...
I'm sorry I could not help you (years ago) with that crumbling bell on that 6/4 project of yours. I was just afraid that if I (or anyone) did anything to it, it would do little more than crumble even more.
Thanks for the offer Joe! I went about 5.5 hours east instead for the MW and will be heading back today. I had “Village Tinker” Dan rework that big horn last year. He pulled a garland off an old 186 recording bell and it fit that beast perfectly. Still fragile, but holds it all together and the extra mass helps with sympathetic vibrations. The next time I am in that area I would love to stop by with the MW 33.