Please be safe !

The bulk of the musical talk
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Please be safe !

Post by ppalan »

Wise advice for all. Thanks Bloke and you be safe as well.
Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Personal and property security is one of the reasons I don't participate in the local-ish TubaChristmas at a popular uptown mall. Nothing has happened to participants that I know of, but, sadly, the recent big improvements in roads and public transport to ease the access for shoppers have also become fast getaway routes. Carjackings in the area have become much worse - up 40% over last year by some accounts, and that was before the holiday rush.

Haven't yet decided to go to the TubaChristmas at the college an hour south of here next weekend, a much less big-city kind of place, etc., etc. They haven't had one there in a number of years and I should support the renewed efforts if I can.

You do have me thinking, however, about my preferred oboe/EH transport container to defend against the cold - a picnic cooler. If I leave that unattended for a moment somebody may think it's party time and walk off with it. I get enough comments at rehearsals about disappointment there's no beer it it. :roll:
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Frankly, if someone wanted to rob me of my tuba, they might be doing me a favor...? :|
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Nah, not a Yeti, just a cheap Coleman. It rarely spends more than 30-45 minutes not in room temp conditions, the main objective defending against sudden temp changes outside between the studio and car, and car and venue. We rarely - if ever - leave it in the car unattended, 'cept maybe a dash into the grocery store en route to pick-up staples.

Even if I had one of those covers for the Element, the tuba case would not fit under it. But you know that. I don't worry a lot about it in our immediate area as break-ins of are unheard of [knock on wood], aside from somebody jiggling handles for potential unlocked cars and then rifling for loose change. Besides, I can't imagine any perp breaking-in and "running" down the street with 60# of tuba+case, much less knowing what to do with it. We're so rural we can't even keep pawn shops in business.

Trips into St. Louis? Another matter altogether.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

All the above. Indeed. And since you will be around persons who may have not taken all of their preventive health measures, be sure you have and keep good crowd personal hygiene habits. No one wants to come down with the flu the day before a gig!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bort wrote:Frankly, if someone wanted to rob me of my tuba, they might be doing me a favor...? :|
Bort,
Not to hijack the thread, but are you now displeased with the new big horn??
Tim
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Hey Tim! I'll send you a PM and we can catch up. :tuba:
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bort wrote:Hey Tim! I'll send you a PM and we can catch up. :tuba:
Terrific!
And now...back to your original programming, already in progress.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

One more consideration:
I guess quite a few of You people will own several rides.
Maybe it´s a good plan to own ONE car of worn-down, sort-of cheap and unattractive appearance.
You might even "adorn" it with some half-torn (!) bumper stickers to give it a less-classy look.

You might as well choose ALMOST the correct tone of color to cover up parking bruises or rust spots.
And use a brush rather than spray-on paint, too.

Save the Bugatti for other occasions ;-)
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

This is one of the reasons I live in fly-over country now. My precautions for this weekend's traveling to play includes
-bring a snow shovel, ice scraper, and take the vehicle with the best snow tires
-don't leave the keys in the vehicle
-look out for deer crossing the road
-look out for black ice
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I will be sure to wear my helmet at all times. Including when not on the motorcycle.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

vehicle= crime magnet.

Christmas time multiplies the break in likelihood.

When I was a lad in Minneapolis, a string bass player had their bow stolen while they loaded the bass into a van. I learned then, you can't so much as turn your back on anything valuable. On the brighter side, at the same location somebody found my wallet and looked around until they found me to hand it back.
MORE AIR
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

So far so good!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

After being in criminal justice for 32 years, my general thoughts on being safe are making your stuff less attractive and harder to steal. Criminals are basically lazy, they'll move on to the easy pickings.

And I liked Lee's response. I have snow tires and a shovel also.