Expensive means: Nicer for Longer

The bulk of the musical talk
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Expensive means: Nicer for Longer

Post by Matt Walters »

My definition of expensive is: something that costs more of my life force than something that costs less of my life force. Most of us give up our life force in exchange for money that we exchange for goods. i.e. a $5000 tuba is way more expensive to me than a $10,000 tuba is to someone earning ten or twenty times my salary.

From more than 24 years working on and selling tubas for Dillon Music, I have observed: The more expensive a musical instrument is in the mind of the owner, the better it is taken care of over the years.
I've seen brand new $12,000 tubas bought by kids (their parents) who have never known want, come back a year later with a beat up horn complaining it isn't holding up. I've seen 4 year old Chinese tubas only show lacquer wear on contact points that were bought by a family that scrimped and saved to buy what the child is grateful to own and considers to be precious.

Yes, there is a certain level below which is pure crap. But above that point, how well something is cared for makes the biggest difference to how long it lasts.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Expensive means: Nicer for Longer

Post by scottw »

Hear, hear!
Bearin' up!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Expensive means: Nicer for Longer

Post by iiipopes »

I was taught to take good care of the instrument, no matter its cost or condition.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.