Rotors and pistons ...again! Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Rotors and pistons ...again!

Postby bloke » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm

:P :lol: :lol:

It looked up the urbandictionary.com's definition of "home training", but it was too offensive to link here. :oops:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Levaix » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 am

My high school had a couple 186's, a newer rotary VMI (not sure of the model) a couple ancient King piston models in storage, and... a beat up Holton 345. I took the opportunity to play the Holton as much as possible after being tipped off by Mickey Moore at ISYM, but I was the only one who did so at the school. Most of our time players were recruited from other sections, and they were usually more interested in how shiny a horn was.

On a personal level, I have my Sonora now due to recommendation rather than valve preference. It was much easier to get this level of quality for the price I could afford with this specific tuba, and a similar quality piston tuba would have cost significantly more. In all honesty I'm not at all sure anymore which I prefer; it would probably come down more to which specific models caught my attention.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

textbook current example:

front-action piston tuba...TOTALLY beat to _ _ _ _

It took several hours to make it look like a tuba again, but (when received from the school as a "wad of brass") ALL of the valves worked, ALL of the slides worked (alignment of a couple of them was not very good, but all of them "pulled"), and one valve stem was broken. That having been said, this is not a make for which I sing its praises, but (again) I believe the front-action piston design is what prevented it (after, obviously, having been knocked over endless dozens of times) from needing any replacement parts other than "a valve stem".

bloke

Postby umlaut_kraut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Jupiter, it would seem...

I borrowed one just like that for a concert a few years ago and it was quite o.k. except for the thumb ring which was way too small for me.
umlaut_kraut
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet