Only one, but which one?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Re: Only one, but which one?

Post by Tim Jackson »

Good timing... I had a big church gig this past Sunday. Since it was a pretty large ensemble I decided to bring my big York which I just don't get much time on. It was great fun - I love the horn, even did me good in regards to the cross training mentioned earlier this week. But sadly for the first time I thought - maybe it's time to part with this 6/4. Also, every time I go back to my vintage 186 CC 5U I think this is SO FINE! I could never let these go, but.. I really think it has to do with getting older and I have such a full life - maybe one tuba focus would be good and that would be my Walter Nirschl 4/4 5v CC. I had an HB 21 for a while and that horn could also be a "one only" but the size took a bit more air that I don't have anymore. I have a few long phases in my "must play" solo rep and I aggravate toward the horn that allows for my developing short comings. Plus the Nirschl plays SO WELL! I love it and practice most every night. The HB 21 and the Nirschl both seem heavy - and heavier every day... but something about the resonance, flexibility, and I love the slotting in the ultra high range. I really like valves... too many tubas - too little time. I really don't want to part with anything, but the realities of life are more & more clear everyday.

The big problem in down sizing will be not only which tuba but...

which sousaphone, trombone, flugabone, electic bass, upright bass, drum set, and on and on and on!

Stryk, sorry I forgot to check on you after the storm- hope all is OK- let me know if you need anything!

Best, Tim
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

If having to choose between bigger and smaller, I would err on the side of bigger.
Many bigger horns can be played lighter with a shallower mouthpiece and gentle touch, but a smaller horn will only have so much girth to the sound.
See the recent post on F/CC for comparison.
By bigger, I would consider a 4/4+ to 5/4. A 6/4 as an only horn probably wouldn’t work unless it was only large bands or similar.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Stryk wrote:what one horn would you choose?
I'd give your tubas a brief play test, and take the one I liked the best.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:something 4/4 - 5/4 that makes a nice sound and plenty of sound without demanding of it's player "daily routines" (i.e. "having to work really hard to overcome a tuba which tends to offer mediocre and unfocused sonic characteristics"), and that only requires a few (vs. "every d@mn note") #1 slide adjustments, with no #3 slide adjustments. 
J.W. York 712/716
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Locked into one tuba forever?

I'd want to get my old Miraphone 188 back. And since that won't happen, I'd special order a brand new one, to the exact same specs.

Oh wait, money no option? I'll take the 30,000€ Thein CC, please. :P
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I play Bb and Eb horns. If I had to choose, it would be my Besson 983. It doesn't have the big sound of the Bb, but in all other respects it is more versatile.

It also has the incidental advantage that it is much easier to transport than my 5/4 Bb.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

4/4 Hirsbrunner or Mirafone Bruckner.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

tclements wrote:4/4 Hirsbrunner
^ If you haven't already, don't sell the one you have!
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

B+H Eb Comp. 19" bell.
Hugely versatile tubas.
Respond well to mouthpiece changes to alter sound.
Recordings stand testament that these CAN sound great playing Berlioz to Prokofiev, although you'd get no argument from me that other instruments would cover the extremeties in a more natural way.

Didn't Mr Bobo state if he had to play one tuba it would be one of these? Maybe he was joking..!

MP
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

bloke wrote:With the big 19" bells that most comp Eb tubas feature today, I'm not sure that I would sign on to the (paraphrasing) "easy to alter the sound" claim particularly enthusiastically, but - when played well - they do sound "pretty", and (again: my experience) it's a bit of a challenge to make one of those tubas sound "scary" or "ominous" (etc.)
Think I've scared a few listeners on my Eb over the years.
Oh wait, maybe that's Scarred...

Actually, with a certain Blokepiece Solo a good level of traction/bite/purchase is available, getting the dog to bark a little if that's what you mean...?
Peach
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Downsizing has been on my mind a bit, since arthritis is beginning to affect my wrists. I love my Holton 345, but the time will come when I can't cart it around or hold her comfortably to perform, especially standing (which I do enjoy). My playing is mostly community bands and church, with an occasional solo tossed in, and there's always the random small group that may pop up, and sometimes I'm the only tuba in the full band. The Holton supports the band wonderfully. I played and performed for nearly a year on a nice King 2341, and liked that horn a lot. A very lot. I would like to work with a 186 before I do my downsizing. I spent 5 years on a very nice Yamaha 621, but had a harder time supporting the band with that one - just not enough cubic inches - although solos and transport were a piece of cake. The King felt like a toy after 20 years with the 345, still had great sound and intonation, and was a breeze to handle. It's possible an Eb would do what I need, but I do prefer front action valves or rotors, so I'd be looking at a 983 or a Norwegian Star, or that Wessex Cavalry model, I suppose. So, those horns are all on my radar as time moves along, and I believe none would be a bad choice at all. For me, anyway.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I plan on spending the rest of my life answering this question... :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Stryk wrote: it will likely have rotors, not valves.
Interesting concept.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I've been thinking about this as well, I'm contemplating a move to a smaller place and I'm not as strong as I used to be. I picked up an old Conn 12j to fiddle with and was surprised to find how heavy the horn is for being a small one.

Currently on my list is a regular old Miraphone 186 BBb or a Besson 983. And maybe a Tornister to take on trips.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Stryk wrote:Mostly community band and church orchestra at this point in my life. There are a couple regional orchestras I have subbed for before, and did have a very active quintet, but do neither much anymore. I'd rather just play for enjoyment.
Personally, I'd think a good 4/4 contrabass tuba fits best what you need. But then again, there are some on here that think if you "play well" than it shouldn't matter what tuba you use; even if it's a skimpy F or Eb tuba :| Apparently they don't hear the very obvious sonic differences between bass and contrabass tubas, even with all the variations of them. There is a reason the vast majority of bands and players use CC and BBb tubas for medium and large ensembles :idea:

bloke wrote:With the big 19" bells that most comp Eb tubas feature today, I'm not sure that I would sign on to the (paraphrasing) "easy to alter the sound" claim particularly enthusiastically, but - when played well - they do sound "pretty", and (again: my experience) it's a bit of a challenge to make one of those tubas sound "scary" or "ominous" (etc.)

I don't possess the world's most amazing memory, but something about "Bobo" seemed to remind me that his view (at least, sometime in the past) of the sonic quality of 19" compensating Eb tubas (i.e. they kinda sound about the same no matter what...sorta like euphoniums) lines up with my own observations.
+1. I've heard recordings from across-the-pond orchestras use those tubas, and while a nice "big sound for Eb", those tubas' sound don't get me excited due to the lack of sound color and lack of depth/thickness in the low register. They sound good in some quintets and brass bands though....
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

toobagrowl wrote:
Stryk wrote:Mostly community band and church orchestra at this point in my life. There are a couple regional orchestras I have subbed for before, and did have a very active quintet, but do neither much anymore. I'd rather just play for enjoyment.
Personally, I'd think a good 4/4 contrabass tuba fits best what you need. But then again, there are some on here that think if you "play well" than it shouldn't matter what tuba you use; even if it's a skimpy F or Eb tuba :| Apparently they don't hear the very obvious sonic differences between bass and contrabass tubas, even with all the variations of them. There is a reason the vast majority of bands and players use CC and BBb tubas for medium and large ensembles :idea:

I don't possess the world's most amazing memory, but something about "Bobo" seemed to remind me that his view (at least, sometime in the past) of the sonic quality of 19" compensating Eb tubas (i.e. they kinda sound about the same no matter what...sorta like euphoniums) lines up with my own observations.
+1. I've heard recordings from across-the-pond orchestras use those tubas, and while a nice "big sound for Eb", those tubas' sound don't get me excited due to the lack of sound color and lack of depth/thickness in the low register. They sound good in some quintets and brass bands though....
The Wessex "solo" EEb is the same tuba as the regular full sized model, but has a 16 3/4" bell instead. I think that gives a lot more color and clarity to the sound, and if anything enhances projection.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

If you expect to get older, getting a smaller horn makes too much sense. I have already punched this button and have a Melton 182, and I expect it to extend my playing for years. In the meantime the "big" horn is a Meinl Weston 2182, and it made an appearance as a BBb in the local brass band. Everybody was happy.
MORE AIR
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

It will be interested to see what ultimately happens with this. I am pursuing the same thing, but perhaps leaning towards the larger side.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Stryk wrote:The horn I play the most is my Amati. It is light and plays well, but is not what you would call a dream horn.
There might be something bigger in the Cerveny+Amati catalogue that would fill the bill, like some variation on the 601 - much more trouble than the Amati, if it's one of those little 15lb piston cuties, but lighter than average for its size. Not a "dream horn" exactly - but reality has its advantages.

Too bad plastic tubas don't come in C.