circular flanges (sheet metal discs) for Euro-style braces

The bulk of the musical talk
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: circular flanges (sheet metal discs) for Euro-style brac

Post by roweenie »

That is a great resource, bloke - thanks for sharing!

I can also see them used as small patches....

(******THIS is one of the things I love about this forum******)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

BINGO some things there I have been looking for! Thanks
Free to tuba: good home
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

Instead of a fixed support I recommend the Ergobrass system (http://www.ergobrass.com" target="_blank), it is very comfortable to use and with the spring-loaded stem very natural in the movement
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I have an old iteration of the ErgoBone. The spring is optional on it. A thumb screw locks it out. Or, you also have the option of completely removing it.

The current one appears to lack that additional thumbscrew. But I bet you can pull the spring off the its collar. Or possibly just flip it 180.

But maybe it’s cheaper for Bloke to make his own. It currently lists for 130€. $150. Plus shipping.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

So basically a bloke-version of the "Stewart Stand" :wink:

I've only 'messed with' euphoniums, baritone horns a few times and the most annoying thing I've noticed with them is that you have to hold/cradle them while you play. Kind of an awkward instrument to do that with. Yeah tubas are bigger and heavier, but at least you can just rest tubas in your lap and easily adjust them (for the most part) to reach your embouchure.

Kinda surprised I don't see more euph/baritone horn/tenor tuba players use contraptions for easier use, at least while seated :idea:
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

There is one big difference between the Ergobrass and the other systems: the Ergobrass stem is connected with the instrument in one swivelling point, if possible in the center of gravity or as close as you can fix it. So you can hold the horn just like without any stand but also without weight, it is just hovering in front of you. All fixed devices are just the same as a big tuba standing on your lap, chair or a stand, and you have to move to the proper position to meet the mouthpiece in the right way. It is the only comfortable way to play small but heavy horns with lots of valves ( like the french C-tuba and the 5 valve Bb Saxhorn ), but it will be a blessing for all tenor tubas, baritones and euphoniums as well.
I am not involved in selling those, but if you can try one, DO IT! I played for some years with an inexpensive rigid stem (looking like Capt. Ahab's leg), but I will not go back for it since I have the Ergobrass. And you can take it apart, so it will fit in the most cases without problems. I would have made my own version of it, but do not have a lathe...