Help Would be Appreciated

The bulk of the musical talk
jpmadigan
lurker
lurker

Help Would be Appreciated

Post by jpmadigan »

Hello,
I am a high school tuba player, and I have a problem. I have All State Band Auditions on January 5th, and I am having problems with my embochure/face. Under my lip, right around where my mouthpiece rests when I play, I have a fairly big bump/bruise, and it is inhibiting my playing. I don’t know the cause, but I’m thinking that it was caused by increased practicing I’m having a hard time playing in the upper range, due to the bruise, which is a big problem due to my audition being near. I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone could give me regarding treatment or any of that.
Thank You!
(Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong area of the forum, I’m a new user) :)
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Help Would be Appreciated

Post by BopEuph »

Sounds more like it's acne or something related showing up. Could have been caused by a clogged pore from the larger amount of practicing.

I'm no doctor, not is anybody here, so nobody will likely give you much medical advice. If you think it's more serious, maybe a doctor's visit. Either way, you're probably stuck with that pain (edit: stuck with it until after the audition). Just make sure you're not using pressure to play high.
Last edited by BopEuph on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
paulver

Post by paulver »

First thing...... go see a doctor asap to get the proper help...... possibly a dermatologist. You need to find out what the issue is from someone who can properly identify it and treat it.

Secondly...... if you're in some kind of outer tissue pain while playing, as an emergency fix.... only to get you through the audition, I'd try putting Anbesol on the area. It'll numb the spot in just a few moments. Don't put it directly on the lip, but just on the problem spot. I'm not a medical person in any way, but over the years as a band director, I've had countless kids with cold sore issues, chapped lip issues, cuts, split lips, bruises, etc., who needed to just get through a show, concert, or audition, and that provided just enough temporary comfort to get them by.

If you don't feel comfortable with that idea, then by all means...... don't try it.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I would second seeing a Doctor and identifying what it actually is, and the best treatment. If it is an actual bruise icing it might help, but someone with some medical training would be best to make that determination.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Back when I was in HS I would occasionally get acne or a sore on my lips - often right on the edge where the mpc would rub against it - and it would HURT like crazy. Lots of sensitive nerves right there!
After brushing my teeth and lips to clean them, I would put a little dab of Orajel on the problem spot to numb it. That seemed to be the best 'quick fix' for me :idea:
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:...' mostly just fat people with tubas.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :tuba:
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What ended up happening?
jpmadigan
lurker
lurker