BBb College Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
pakins51
bugler
bugler

BBb College Tuba

Post by pakins51 »

I’m going to be going into college in a year and I’m planning on majoring in music education. I’ve talked to professors and they’ve told me I wouldn’t need a CC tuba since I’m not doing music performance, so what BBb tuba would y’all recommend for college?

My budget is $6000, and I’d prefer it to be a horn larger then a Miraphone 186 and for it to be a piston horn, but I could deal with rotars.
DominicTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: BBb College Tuba

Post by DominicTuba »

Wherever you go to college, there will more than likely be instruments that you can play while you look for a horn. Ideally you'll try out as many horns as possible. A used 1291 Bb would probably be right up your alley. Another great option would be an Eastman 534. I know you want a horn that is larger than a 186, but the Eastman is a very nice instrument that would be well within your budget.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

B&S GR-51 or GR-55 would be excellent options.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

VMI 3302 and a 5 valve Miraphone 191 are awesome tubas. I'd recommend having 5 valves even if you're not in performance.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

What I would recommend is rethinking an education degree, but that's for another thread. As far as tubas go, I never owned my own tuba the entire time I was in college pursuing an ed degree. Does the school have any of there own tubas?
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
pakins51
bugler
bugler

Post by pakins51 »

Yes they do but require all tuba music majors to own their own after their freshmen year. Thanks for all of the responses!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Anti tubites!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

If you want to sound good in a solo recital get a small tuba. If you want to sound good in a large ensemble get a big one. For the price of one top-of-the line 5-valve tuba you can get two reasonably good 4-valve tubas (one large and one small) and sound great in both settings. When you become a music educator you will find that the small one is ideal for giving private lessons, and the big one will be perfect for community bands and civic orchestras. If you purchase an instrument that someone recommended and it turns out to be physically uncomfortable for you then you will hate practicing. If you find a used tuba that plays well you can modify it to make it comfortable for you without worrying about diminishing its market value.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Keep your eyes on websites of the sponsors here, the dealers of used instruments (there are several good dealers here). Some used BBb horns will be priced where you can buy it, and later sell it, and not be too financially impacted after both transactions. You might even make some money. Money tends to get very dear when you are a student.

Right now I have two horns, bought both of them used, and they play as well as anything I could buy new. The horn in the photo of this post was at least 30 years older than me, and it was a beautiful player, and snapped up immediately when I put it up for sale.
MORE AIR
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Eastman 562
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

bort wrote:B&S GR-51 or GR-55 would be excellent options.
You can't go wrong with the GR-55!
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

Chris Olka uploaded a fantastic video of the Eastman 562, it seems like a very solid BBb tuba. The one he has in the video has a 5th valve and re-wrapped slides, which they may update the 562 with in the future. It's also extremely affordable, at about $5,500-$6,000. I'd highly recommend this, it'll suit you for a bit more than just a teaching degree.

It does have rotors, but they're of great quality.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bort wrote:B&S GR-51 or GR-55 would be excellent options.
I got to try a GR51 when it was a new model instrument some years ago. If I had been 20 years younger than I was then, and was looking forward to playing a lot more tuba than a community band and the occasional other gig, I would have bought it above every other BBb made at the time. But...since I was older and not going to play beyond community band and the occasional gig, I went home with the girl I brought to the dance.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

lost wrote:
LibraryMark wrote:What I would recommend is rethinking an education degree, but that's for another thread.
Thank God nobody ever gave me this advice. Nor would I have listened. Working with students has been the most rewarding aspects of my life.

As for the thread...King 2341 new style.
I was given that advice and didn't listen either. Wish I had. It could have saved me years of frustration and many, many dollars. I loved teaching, beginners especially. Had good bands. But had parents who were crazy. Had admin's who thought band was no more than a parking lot for kids. Made no where near as much money as I should have considering the time it took to do the job well.

I am glad that teaching has been good for you. However, teaching is not at all easy and getting harder every year - at least in my state. Prospective new teachers should be prepared for low pay and no respect. If you are super-dedicated and have a burning passion to teach, then by all means, go to it. Just be sure that you know what to expect.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)