High prices!!!

The bulk of the musical talk
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: High prices!!!

Post by roweenie »

Interesting - I thought for sure that the flood of Chinese copies on the market would drive down the prices.

Maybe "shiny and new" isn't the beginning and end, after all.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

True, the Martin 6/4 tubas have not been copied - I guess I was speaking specifically to the York-o-phones.

To my certain knowledge, the York tubas I own give me no intonation troubles.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:....but you're speaking to the Bb tubas, and yeah - they are (whether 4/4 or 5/4) easier to steer. I've never played a J. W. York & Son 6/4 Bb, so I cannot speak to those.
This is true.

As to the 6/4 ones (of which, happily, I have some experience), the truncated ones (aka CC) cannot hold a candle to the unmolested ones (aka BBb).....

(I think Pop Johnson sheds an angelic tear every time one goes under the hacksaw).
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:This is about as close as I've come to one of the York 6/4 Bb's...
Well, hopefully someday we can remedy that situation, for at least a short period of time, say an afternoon....
though (well...) there are some Holton 345 Bb's here right now....
Apples and oranges, IMHO...

(And I LOVE that picture!)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I've always held a wacky theory that some of the heirloom manufacturers (not necessarily in this particular case) used their obsolete-high-pitch-top-action mandrels, especially from models with the MTS before the valveset, to build their side-action CC tubas...

It seems logical to me, in any event, as those are the horns with the shortest bugles, therefore ones that are "easiest" to convert (I don't envision H.N. White, for example, in the 1930s, investing in several sets of costly mandrels, just to make the very occasional CC tuba).
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

HIGH PRICES!!!!!!!!!!
OK... here's a high price original York 6/4 BBb. I love this horn every time I take it out. Amazing how many orchestral pieces can be managed with 3 valves. Sometimes I wonder if one of the reasons this horn plays so nicely is because it only has 3 valves. I can't remember when I won the ebay bid... maybe 12-15 years ago. The biding war went over 7K - I think. Some day I will sell this horn, but maybe not just yet (may be old but I ain't dead) I can say that it would take around 10K for me to start thinking about it. You say - NO WAY! well, that is what it's worth to me today. This is just about mint - no buffing - no repairs, the satin finish is still crisp. It is a joy to play and the intonation is very good. The horn plays at A440 without the tuning donut engaged. This is a very rare find and it certainly would be considered an example of why Donatelli requested the large 6/4 CC from York. So, even though most folks can't imagine paying top dollar for a 3 banger old York... it all depends on the value of an item to the seller and what the buyer is willing to pay. I have NEVER regretted spending 7 + on this horn years ago. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and that is the very reason things are priced accordingly.

Tim
outdated old York 6/4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

My York, a 6/4 CC Rusk cut from BBb might come on the market soon. Great playing instrument, but needs to be in the hands for someone that can use it more than me and community band. It will not be cheep.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

lost wrote:Maybe what we are seeing is "I don't really wanna sell it" pricing on these horns and people are actually biting.

Original yorks I can see going crazy tim, cause i would sell mine for a crazy price. Martin's are less rare compared to York.

3 grand for a 3 banger upright recording martin? Wuhhhhhh? It's confusing. But i guess timing is everything.
lol. Yeah, if anyone offered 3000 for my 3 valve Martin recording bell I'd have to seriously consider it.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.