Rat Jazz stand - first impressions

The bulk of the musical talk
oleirgens
bugler
bugler

Rat Jazz stand - first impressions

Post by oleirgens »

IMG_0159_siste.jpg align="middle"
My new Rat Jazz stand arrived yesterday, and it was immideately put to service at the band rehearsal the same night. My verdict so far:
  • Folds and unfolds quite easily
    Much more stable than their folding desk-counterparts
    Makes notation on the music sheet quite easy
    Very high "wow"-factor
I used the stand with the feet pointing backwards for greater stability, but it can also be used with feet pointing towards you. The pencil shelf is a wee bit small, wit no room for tuner and/or cellphone. (But who needs tuners or cellphones anyway? I play perfectly in tune and calls can wait to after rehearsal.)

It IS a bit on the expensive side, priced at about USD 100. But it is solid and sturdy, and folds small enough to be carried easily around with my tuba on my back and my other equipment in a wheeled suitcase.

Have a nice tuba day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Principal tuba, Alvøen Concert Band
Eb tuba, Laksevåg Brass Band
Bergen, Norway
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Rat Jazz stand - first impressions

Post by BopEuph »

I love my Peak stand, which I leave in my car. The carrying case is large enough that I can just barely squeeze in a collapsible guitar stand for my bass gigs. It's these little accessories that I regularly forget, so keeping them in the car is a great option.

My only gripe is the wide base. It definitely keeps the stand more stable, but gives less floor space, and makes it easier to trip on for standing gigs.
Nick
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Tell me about you playing stand and drum throne.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
oleirgens
bugler
bugler

Post by oleirgens »

Three Valves wrote:Tell me about you playing stand and drum throne.
The drum throne is a fairly basic one, I have used it for a couple of months together with my new 6/4 Cc tuba. I had difficulties finding a good position on regular chairs, so I decided to try a throne. So far - success! I don´t miss the backrest, and I can position myself quite comfortably.

The tuba stand is a Hercules DS553B stand, I have strapped some rubber bands around for better friction, but I am looking for a better and more permanent solution, maybe a bicycle inner hose, split and glued to the stand.

The throne and the stand give me a very good and comfortable playing position, no problems with back pain or stiffness in the... rear quarters ;)

I have also bought myself a suitcase for all my equipment, the new stand is unfortunately a bit too big to fit in, but I carry it as a separate item.

Hope this was helpful!
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Principal tuba, Alvøen Concert Band
Eb tuba, Laksevåg Brass Band
Bergen, Norway
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Thanks. I thought the playing stand looked familiar (I have one) I heard elsewhere that the drum throne was worth a look. I don’t need a back rest since I don’t perform in back of an orchestra counting measures!! :tuba:

What brand is it, is it adjustable, and can it hold up 230+lbs??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.