Thayer Valve Tuba

Repair and modification discussion
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Thayer Valve Tuba

Post by IsaacTuba »

Is it possible to construct any kind of valved brass instrument using something besides rotary/piston valves? If so, what would the benefits be? Perhaps even Hagmann valves if you can fit them in there.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Thayer Valve Tuba

Post by ASTuba »

There has been a lot of work to make the Axial Flow valve (also known as Thayer) be a better valve, thanks to the fact that it has become so popular with players. There is a new version of this valve, called the Infinity Valve, that can be purchased here:

https://instrumentinnovations.com

This valve has sealed bearings on both ends of the valve, and it's amazing how little wear there is on the bearings in this. I've seen this valve hooked up to a cordless drill, drill turned on for 30 minutes, and there is no heat at all in the valve casing. Truly a fantastic product, only available currently on the Bach Trombones with the AF at the end of the model number, as far as I know.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thayer Valve Tuba

Post by oedipoes »

I have seen a Gronitz tuba with Lätzsch or Hagmann valves (on their old website) and a Rudolf Meinl 5/4 BBb with Lätzsch or Hagmann valves.
So it can be done ...
Personally, I don't know why one would want to make the Rudi 5/4 BBb more freeblowing than it already is, I like a little bit of resistance personally...