College Student Looking to Purchase My Own Horn

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
TimmaTub
lurker
lurker

College Student Looking to Purchase My Own Horn

Post by TimmaTub »

Hello all,
I am currently a sophomore tuba player in college and I have been playing on a school-owned BBb tuba. I have been wanting to purchase my own horn for a long time, but I was always unsure what to buy or whether to get a CC or BBb. I feel like I have been in a constant loop of researching but I never actually bought a horn due to financial restrictions. However, I finally think it is time to make the jump and buy a personal horn. What are some recommendations you guys have when it comes to buying horns and finding the right fit?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: College Student Looking to Purchase My Own Horn

Post by Sousaswag »

What's your budget?

I think you'll find that there is a huge number of options in BBb and CC. Either one will do the job.

I'll discuss CC's in my suggestions. If I were you, I'd say go with a Miraphone 188, 1292/3, OR an Eastman 632.

The 188 is a good size and can really do everything you'll need it to. Plenty of volume. I remember the Chicago Civic Orchestra performing the Planets and the tuba player used a 188. I was highly impressed with the amount of sound that instrument put out! If you do a little research, you'll find that a lot of people love the 188. It can be found for great prices used.

The 1293 will sound like a bigger tuba than it is, and that's what I like about it. It has a huge low range and very good intonation. I really only have to pull the first slide for F in the staff, and maybe D in the staff. I just bought one two weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it.

The Eastman has a pretty big sound for it's relatively small size. I used one in my own rehearsals while searching for a new horn myself. Again, great intonation, and can be had for a very reasonable price when new.

The most important thing you can do is talk to your teacher. They will give you a list of models they like and more than likely you'll find a horn that fits you. Remember, don't buy anything without their approval! Good luck!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Bigsum90
bugler
bugler

Post by Bigsum90 »

I have a virtually brand new Mack Brass TU210L for sale for $1700.00 plus shipping.
Bigsum90@gmail.com" target="_blank
Mack Brass TU210L
MackVeny Arion TU220
Cumberland Presbyterian "Holy Gang"
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

Something that would help is to know your budget. There are a large number of tubas for sale for a plethora of prices.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
ezegiel
bugler
bugler

Post by ezegiel »

Not sure if this is within your budget, but I am selling my main horn that I had throughout college. 5yo PT-6P for $10,000. Best of luck in your search!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91515" target="_blank

-EZ
Evan Zegiel, DMA

Lecturer of Tuba and Euphonium, Purdue University Fort Wayne
Former Tuba Fellow, New World Symphony