B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba -- traded!

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba -- traded!

Post by bort »

I have decided to sell my B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba. This is an awesome tuba -- but I've decided that I want to return to rotary valves. The piston tuba world just isn't for me.
rsz_1rsz_20190128_152810.jpg
It is a large 6/4 CC tuba, with 4 pistons + 1 rotor. It is effectively the same as a PT-6P, but with a Kaiser tuba bell (19.5" diameter) and a larger bottom bow. Possibly a few other minor differences, but not much. To me, I see it as a PT-6 with the potential for more output. It is at home in a large ensemble, but can easily be controlled and provide a clear, full, and warm foundation without being overbearing. (Note: the piston Neptune is also very similar, but has an even larger 20.5" bell diameter, and some other differences based on what Mel Culbertson wanted. I find the sound of the PT-7 closer to the PT-6 (more focused) than the Neptune (wider).)

This tuba was built in the year 2000, and was previously professionally owned and used in Colombia and Venezuela. A tuba with a story to tell!

I bought this in the summer of 2018; it took a while to get the tuba from South America to the US, and when it arrived, there were a few dents and a bell crease from shipping damage. I took it straight to the repair shop, and it spent a few months there... although much of the work was unrelated to shipping (cleaning, repairing bad solder joints, etc.). There was nothing severe, but a lot of small things that added up.

The end result was that during Fall 2018, the tuba received a play-condition overhaul -- the entire tuba was picked over, disassembled and repaired as needed, and all of the issues were fixed. Again, there was nothing tragically wrong with the tuba, but just many small things that added up to need fixing -- fix bad joints, give it a DEEP and thorough cleaning, anything out-of-round, and as many dents removed as possible. The difference between play-condition overhaul and a full overhaul is that my tuba was not 100% de-dented, sanded, buffed, and refinished. There are still small dents and dings here and there on the outer branches. From a few feet away, it looks pretty good. Up close, it won't win the beauty contest. Valve section is clean, and the entire tuba is in excellent mechanical condition, all slides move easily, etc. The tuba is in raw brass, except for the outside of the bell. A previous owner did that, and I'm not sure why.

This tuba plays and sounds incredible -- response is quick and easy, the sounds is strong and clear, and intonation is very, very easy. I'm not a slide puller, and I do very little work to play this tuba in-tune. For a 6/4 tuba, that's rare. It's a point and shoot tuba for me, and it takes little effort to make a nice full sound. And if you want a big sound... it'll give you as much as you can handle and then some. A while back, someone told me "you'll never struggle for volume." Lots of focus and clarity, no "woofiness." Low register is HUGE and easy.

I've done a little work with the valves, in an effort to get myself to like piston valves more. The valves are great -- but the upgrades didn't cure me of my rotary preferences. So, the next owner will get to inherit some tricked-out valves (all of the original parts are included as well):
  • Baer PVAK
  • Sellmansberger lightweight finger buttons
  • Yamaha euphonium and tuba springs included
  • Delrin (plastic) valve guides for QUIET valve alignment
I had considered buying a set of MAW valves, but never got around to it. I would imagine the results would be pretty fun.

Includes an Gotz gig bag. Shows some wear, and one of the zipper pulls is broken, but it is functional and works reasonably well. If I were keeping the tuba, I'd probably replace the bag eventually... out of vanity, not out of necessity.

Financially, I'm taking a bit of a loss on this tuba, I put more money into it than I had planned (tuba + overhaul + upgrades), and have certainly spent more than I am asking for it. :oops: I'm just looking for an easy sale.

For comparison, I know of 2 other PT-7's that have sold in the past year, from Dillon (~$10,000) and BBC (~$9,000). Both were in better condition, as far as I know... shiny lacquer and few dents.

Price is $7250, and the tuba is located in Minneapolis. Local pickup only; this is too big for me to consider shipping, and I'm just not willing to deal with that stress.

Photos are here:
https://tinyurl.com/The-PT7
Last edited by bort on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pelagius
bugler
bugler

Re: B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba -- $7250

Post by Pelagius »

Last edited by Pelagius on Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanb11
bugler
bugler

Post by jonathanb11 »

PM sent!
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

Certenly a great tuba for an even greater price!
Some stuff
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Hi folks. This looks like a great deal. I think the tuning slide layout is a bit different than on the piston Neptune that I briefly owned (I sold it and bought a rotary Neptune, due to the concert band work I do [lots of fast licks]). I think the description of this as a sort of 'super PT-6' would be accurate. If I had the cash upfront and my 63 year old hands could tolerate long stretches with piston valves again, I would jump on this a heartbeat. This is a rare bird and these big B&S tubas hold a 'dark' tone while pouring on the coal like almost nothing else I've tried.

Barry Guerrero; Santa Cruz, Ca
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks, everyone. :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Weekend bump, thanks for all the interest so far!
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Great, underrated, German quality sound tubas! If you’re looking for 6/4 sound at a good price, this is a good buy.
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Someone asked me about trades -- yes, I'll consider trades for medium and large rotary CC tubas. My short list is Miraphone 188, Rudy 3/4, Alexander 163, and B&S Neptune. But if you have something not on that list, send me a PM and we can talk. :)

Thanks! This tuba is going to make someone very happy! :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba -- $7250 -- Available

Post by bort »

Tuba is available again; a potential trade was cancelled (for reasons totally unrelated to this tuba).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: B&S PT-7 (4198) CC tuba -- $7250 -- Available again

Post by bort »

Available again!

Trade interests are narrowing down to:
Alexander 163
Miraphone 188 (gold brass)
eutubabone
3 valves
3 valves

Post by eutubabone »

Hey Bort
How much does your tuba weigh? I've got a Alex 163 and its 20lb.
Brent
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I actually don't have a scale, but I'd guess somewhere around 25 pounds. I know my Willson was ~25 pounds, and this feels a little lighter (or at the very least, the weight is more evenly distributed and it's more comfortable to hold). I'll try to get a weight in the next few days.
eutubabone
3 valves
3 valves

Post by eutubabone »

Ok
I could probably deal with that
eutubabone
3 valves
3 valves

Post by eutubabone »

Bort
22.2 lbs. For alex 163 CC 5
valves
Brent
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I've confirmed that the PT-7 weighs about 25 pounds. Which is actually the same as my former Willson 3050RZ, except the PT-7 feels much better balanced and overall just easier to hold.

Bump!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Weekend bump!

If you're interested but concerned about "no shipping," travel to Minneapolis, etc., please send me an email and we can talk about it. :tuba:
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Hmmm, Minneapolis? I live in WI and would love to give it a play sometime! Maybe we can grab a beer sometime!
Assistant Professor of Low Brass
University of Wisconsin - Platteville
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician
BB0405
lurker
lurker

Post by BB0405 »

PM Sent!
bort
6 valves
6 valves