What kind of mouthpieces do you guys prefer? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

What kind of mouthpieces do you guys prefer?

Postby IsaacTuba » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I myself personally use a Dennis Wick 2.5CC, one of the deepest ones they sell. For me, it gives strangely better accuracy and notes crack less often with soft air, and it gives my 4/4 tuba a 6/4 sound.

What about you guys?
Eastman 632 CC - EBC632
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: What kind of mouthpieces do you guys prefer?

Postby tclements » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:17 pm

I been using Mirafone Theinhert Models, orchestra (on CC tuba) & solo on F tubas.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Leland » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Bought a G&W Bayamo in titanium about ten years ago and haven't even shopped for anything else since then. Switching from a Bach 18 to a Conn Helleberg was the first big jump in playability that I experienced, and every subsequent mouthpiece was a gradually smaller increment in approaching my idea of sound quality. Got to the Bayamo and that was plenty good enough for me.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby dopey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm

I also bought a G&W over a decade ago and for better of worse just use them. Back then I got the mmvi for my BBb and never looked back. When I got an Eb I ordered their F model.

I recently started using the contrabass mouthpiece on my Eb since it just feels better. Not entirely sure if I'm doing myself a disservice, but at the same time considering what I want to play..have the low end pop more easily feels better than having the "F feel" on the Eb.

I have been thinking about reaching out to bloke for a recommendation, but wasn't sure if international shipping and me being me would deter him. My main reason be out of curiosity.

I think I just decided long ago that while a mouthpiece is important, I personally have plenty of things to improve on that a different mouthpiece won't change...I remember convincing myself that gold or SS was so much "better" but eventually recognized that "___" player could run circles around me on any mouthpiece.

Now a days, I'd like to buy a bloke piece to have and try. Not because I think it'll suddenly make me a professional.
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Postby KKORO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I started with a Bach 18. Didn't like it and gave it to a jr. hi. kid who needed one. Tried a 24aw and didnt like it either. Conn Helleberg was pretty good but wasnt quite the sound I was after. Went to Custom Tuba in SW MI and tried every moupiece they had. Their pt-36 and pt-50 were like night and day better for my chops. I have both now and can't make up my mind which to make my go-to piece. The 36 slots a bit better, but the 50 has more the sound I'm after.

Best advice is to try as many as you can. Everybody's chops are different.

KKORO
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Postby Chris Mayer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Just wanted to draw your attention to the page of Franz Windhager mouthpieces, were you could find some interesting summaries on mouthpieces. He studied Bass Trombone and is very very knowledgeable in finding the right mouthpiece for you AND your instrument.

https://www.whf-mouthpieces.at/kataloge ... F_Engl.PDF" target="_blank

Chops and instruments are different as well as playing abilities and characteristics and hence mouthpieces are highly individual in combination with your specific instrument. Combining all factors (flex, comfort, durability, core, sound, efficiency, pitch, low and high) in a mouthpiece can be quite frustrating as the desirable mouthpiece would work overall but finally could be „better“ in rim diameter, bore, cup depth etc. Various supplier cover a certain combination range of bore, depth, rim and cup shape, but i found a system were you could select the „right“ rim, diamter, cup shape, bore and backbore (and stay exactly with the same rim and diameter in changing instruments) very useful to fine tune and improve as it was offerd in the past (Giardinelli) or today (eg bloke pieces) It can be a little more expensive, ok who has only owned 1 mouthpiece during the last years, but with a professional guidance on focusing on the „right“ combinations, results in changing sound, response and pitch with the right chops / instrument interface can be quite surprising.

regards

Christoph
Chris Mayer
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:03 pm

For me, this totally depends on the tuba, and I don't buy into "same rim" voodoo, either.
I use the same rim profile (one which works best for me), but change the opening size when it improves resonance/response.
Were there a "dent" in my embouchure where the rim "fits", I would be mashing w-a-y too hard. :shock:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Some good bloke sold me two really nice mouthpieces. One had a crown stamped on the side and the other had a mug of beer. Completely hooked. I've found my emotional support, forever mouthpieces.
Mack-a-clone 186 Chairman Mao
Blokepiece Imperial
Lignatone Eb Sigmund Freud
Amati Eb Klement Gottwald
Blokepiece Solo
Mack Brass Bass Bone Sun Tzu
Douglas Yeo Replica Mouthpiece
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Donn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm

My mouthpiece is a Conn 1 replica. It isn't for everyone. Only for those who like the pure, deep sound of the contrabass tuba to come out in its full glory, undiluted by a mouthpiece with a bottom.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 am

Whenever I’ve done a complete restoration on a Holton 345, I’ve made a point of locating/restoring an (o.e.m.) Holton 52 “Revelation” mouthpiece (very similar to Conn 1) to go with it. That certainly isn’t my cup of tea, but I appreciate the historical significance, and like to offer my customers the out-of-the-wrapping-paper bass-knob-all-the-way-up/treble-knob-all-the-way-down experience (just as many of us set our bass guitar amps, when we were kids).
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

bloke wrote:bass-knob-all-the-way-up/treble-knob-all-the-way-down experience

You could be right about the Holton 52, I've never seen one. It doesn't sound at all like what I hear out of the Conn 1. You have to listen kind of close to even hear the difference, but in audio signal terms it sounds to me like less clipping.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 am

nearly 4" long...right at 2" o.d. on the rim...the deepest straight funnel that could be classified as "normal"...very large throat...straight-taper expansion in the back-bore

' familiar?
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:16 am

The external dimensions sound more like my King 26. If it matters, the Conn 1 would be milled from a 3.83" long rod of 1.96" diameter. The other parameters are similar as far as it goes, but that isn't very far. Just looking down the bores of my mouthpieces, they all look pretty much the same to me, but I have the impression there are significant differences even so. The Conn 1 funnel is deep, but that doesn't tell me how similar it is. Would it be weird if it turned out that these two mouthpieces turned out to be different, and that's why the effect you describe with the Holton 52 doesn't sound like what I get from the Conn 1? How does the Dr. Young match up to the description, is that the same too?
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

Donn wrote:...the Conn 1 would be milled from a 3.83" long rod of 1.96" diameter...

yep...very similar to a Holton 52

How does the Dr. Young match up to the description, is that the same too?

' sorry, I'm not taking the bait.

I've restored several Conn 1 mpc's as well as several Holton 52 mpc's. Both have been in my shop at the same time.
bloke

Postby oleirgens » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:26 am

IsaacTuba wrote:I myself personally use a Dennis Wick 2.5CC, one of the deepest ones they sell. For me, it gives strangely better accuracy and notes crack less often with soft air, and it gives my 4/4 tuba a 6/4 sound.

What about you guys?

Denis Wick 5386 AT4U (Aaron Tindall).

Designed for use in rotary valve CC tubas. It has a bowl-shaped Fred Geib-style cup. A good fit for my Rott (Cerveny) Cc horn.
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Principal tuba
Alvøen Concert Band
Bergen, Norway
oleirgens
lurker
lurker

Postby tubapix » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 am

I use a Rose Orchestra on my BBb and a Wick 3L in my Eb. They both produce a very grand sound on these instruments.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Postby adsteve » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 am

One that is comfortable and I don't have to think about.

My two favorite pieces I've owned are a Giddings and Webster Bayamo and now my Blokepiece. Both for the big horn.

For the small horn I'll use a bobo solo or the blokepiece if it isn't up in the stratosphere.
adsteve
bugler
bugler

Postby Stryk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 am

Foremost, you must have a rim that fits your dental makeup. I have a couple crooked bottom teeth and many rims are painful to use. Otherwise fine one that works with your horn(s).
Specifics?
I like the Sellmansberger the best because of the almost infinite choices available. I also use a Monette 94, a Mirafone C4, and for 35 years only used a Bach 18, and still do at times.
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby hrender » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:58 pm

What kind of mouthpiece do I prefer? What day is it?

Seriously, I like to try different mouthpieces. I generally have 1 or 2 preferred pieces at any given time, usually one Helleberg type and one Geib/Bowl type. Currently my preferred Helleberg is a silver-plated Kellyberg, and the Geib/Bowl is an old HN White (King) 26 that turns out to work surprisingly well in the Martin I recently acquired. In the King I use a Holton 18 (basically a Faxx/Blessing 18) which my son bought me as a surprise birthday present last year that also turned out to work very well. For fun, I just got a beat-up Conn 1 (labeled "LARGE TUBA MOUTHPIECE" on LeBay) to try, and I have another new-to-me piece on the way.

Having said all that, if I were to recommend one mouthpiece to someone, I'd join the chorus and say bloke's Symphony model. It's the only "high-end" mouthpiece I've bought new, and I used mine for some years. I'd still be using it, but the last few years I've been in an experimentation phase. I don't have the cash or space to collect different horns, so I settle for different mouthpieces.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby GC » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Wick 3CC for ordinary brass band Eb parts on my antique Conn Monster Eb. I've gotten much better response from Helleberg-style cups on the old monsters than with bowl cups. I have a 2CC for concert band parts, but I've retired it and migrated back to a Kellyberg for parts that hang around in the basement. I'm probably going to sell the 2CC soon.

The 2.5CC is actually between the 1CC and 2CC in size.
JP/Sterling 377 Eb; 1914 Conn Monster Eb (for sale; my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, Mr. P 6.4; for sale: Bach 42B trombone; recently retired from bass guitar after 44 years
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet