WTB: fiberglass bell to fit 1931 Conn 40K

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

WTB: fiberglass bell to fit 1931 Conn 40K

Post by jbaylies »

seeking a fiberglass bell to fit my Conn 40K's body. I'm gonna superglue LEDs all over it.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: WTB: fiberglass bell to fit 1931 Conn 40K

Post by iiipopes »

jbaylies wrote:seeking a fiberglass bell to fit my Conn 40K's body. I'm gonna superglue LEDs all over it.
Will a 22K bell fit?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

jbaylies wrote:seeking a fiberglass bell to fit my Conn 40K's body. I'm gonna superglue LEDs all over it.
Tenon diameter would help.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

iiipopes wrote: Will a 22K bell fit?
I just checked. Nope. The 22K bell tenon is just a little too small. Since the bell screws on these older Conns barely protrude through the collar, they require a pretty snug fit to do their job.

I'm sure you could make it work through some modifications, though. Thin sheet brass collar/shim? Swap out the original bell screws with some longer ones? (might allow for a leak at that point, though)

As far as I know, the 22K is the closest size fiberglass bell you can find for a 38/40K.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see the LEDs!
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

The Big Ben wrote: Tenon diameter would help.
7 1/4"

I believe that is the tenon size listed for 38/40K, 20/22K, 2XJ. Unfortunately there is a slight discrepancy between the 20's and 30's horns and those that followed. The newer tenons have a groove that allows the bell screws to bottom out into. The earlier ones were smooth and really relied more on a tight fit with the screws just adding that little bit of extra grip. The discrepancy between the older and newer tenons is around maybe an 1/8" or 3/16"? Not much but enough to make them not plug and play.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

I may have found what I need viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87871" target="_blank