Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900

The bulk of the musical talk
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900

Post by Worth »

One of my W900 5th valve rotary valve stops has deteriorated and is ready to split. It is shaped exactly like the Votaw product below (French Horn) which I purchased (pretty cheap for a gamble), but then found was shaped right, but too small for the application. Despite where I look, I can't find this upsized version of the French Horn style cord for my rotary valve stops. I realize that I could whittle down a fatter one, but was looking for help in finding an exact replacement if anyone knows of a source. Thanks very much!

My horn

What I purchased which is too small
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900

Post by timothy42b »

3D print it at the library? You have the old one for measurements, and drawing that shape should take you less than 5 minutes.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Mark Finley wrote:Just use o ring material from the hardware store.
Definitely an option of course, I was just looking for a similar "T-Shaped" material if it was available somewhere. Although now that I think of it, it's the "T" extension that has sort of peeled away from the round portion in the slot of the existing design, so your idea may be the better one going forward.
Last edited by Worth on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

bloke wrote:what Mark said...

The stuff you bought fits Holton double horns, perhaps Bach trombones...but I find no use for it at all.

Remove your cork plate from the instrument, secure it C-shaped-openings-up in a vice. (Use cardboard, etc. to avoid marking it up). Roll some round rubber material into the C-shaped openings with a screwdriver (up to 50% large diameter than the C-shapes) and then trim the fronts to the appropriate spacing and trim with excess off the top with a very sharp (new) single-edged razor blade.

(Often I don't remove the cork plates, but I've done it a few times.)
OK very cool, thanks very much to all. I've got it from here. And the 3D printing option although quite over the top, is something I would have never thought of!
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by CranstonTuba »

I just replaced the bumpers on my Mack 410

So I used to use the Votaw 1/4” rotor cord on my Miraphone so I bought the 3/16” from votaw but it was too small (about 4.7 mm). Looking for the solution I found myself trying to find the exact match. Osmun carries 5mm for $6 for 6 inches. Seeing as that was three times the price I needed to learn more. Votaw bumber cords have a 60 durometer (the hardness of the rubber). Osmun was offering either 50 or 70 of Buna-N rubber cord. Seeing as the Votaw was right in the middle I googled buna-n rubber cord. It brought me to grainger where I found 10 ft of 5mm cord for under $7. You can get almost any diameter. I also got 10 ft of 5.7 if I needed something larger that I could then trim.

https://www.grainger.com/product/E-JAME ... tock-6RTV3" target="_blank
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

Tom McGrady from Mack Brass recommended this for my 410:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Cord-Si ... 1804424481

It works pretty well and is more than I will use for a long time, plus it's a racy orange color.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I use Bloke's method described above, except that I cut a V-shaped notch down the length of the rubber cylinder. The notch is placed on one of the edges of the C-shaped bumper holder. This provides a secure anchor point while pressing and rotating the non-anchored side in with a screwdriver. The notch also creates enough additional room to allow you to use a somewhat oversized cylinder so that you can have enough material to prevent over-rotation.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V