BBb tuba

Topics regarding life as a professional
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

BBb tuba

Post by tclements »

I am in serious consideration to add a BBb tuba to my tool kit. What is your experience with the newer offerings in terms of BBb tubas. Right now, the Prokofiev from Wessex seems to have bubbled to the top.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: BBb tuba

Post by Three Valves »

The Hagen seems to go for 10-14k depending on options.

The super-Wessex is almost 10k.

I played the cheapie Hagen at the Army conference and if money were no object...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Hagen 496.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I play a MW 195P at work everyday. It's a great tuba. Intonation is very good. Very easy to play(response) from top to bottom. Projection is very good. Even though it's a large tuba, it can work well with both large and smaller ensembles. Only issue I have is that the large valves can hurt your hand after long rehearsals.

I have played a few of the newer large Chinese BBb tubas and heard them in performance by top professionals. I own one of them. Although quite good, they just don't compare to the MW 195P. Projection, clarity, color of sound just aren't as good in my opinion which probably isn't worth much. Good luck on your search. There are some great BBb tubas on the market. Miraphone Siegfried is amazing! Hagen 497 also very good, not as broad of sound.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:No one seems to agree with my large BBb tuba preferences, so...
Siegfried?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

tmz1m wrote:Hagen 496.
Dillon just posted one on sale for about $8500
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Three Valves wrote:The super-Wessex is almost 10k.
:shock: Does that tuba already include the German-made Voigt rotor set for that price?

10k is the price of a brand-new, German-made M-W 25 BBb, which is a great tuba :tuba:
Mark wrote:
bloke wrote:No one seems to agree with my large BBb tuba preferences, so...
Siegfried?
I think bloke's fav large BBb tubas are the Miraphone Seigfried and M-W 195P :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ I will just say I disagree on much of what you wrote here. IMHO, ya know :tuba:

And I will also say that I've noticed some ppl are truly fascinated by brand-new flavor-of-the-month tubas, no matter what. Kinda reminds me of when we are little kids, fascinated by bright primary colors :lol:
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Liberty Mo »

Doc wrote:Frank Byrne has a Miraphone 1291 BBb here for sale. I owned one for a number of years, and I was a fool to sell it. An outstanding piston the flat Tuba. Very agile. Great intonation. Excellent piston valves. Incredible low range.
I just picked this one up this morning from Frank who was a real gentleman. It is fantastically easy to play, with this particular example being a really good one.
Miraphone 1291-5v BBb
Conn Monster BBb
"Half of the World is Below Average"
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Doc wrote: I was completely surprised by the Eastman EBB562 (looks like GR 51). Easy response, very facile, great sound, nice valves, great intonation, superb low range, and nice price. If I were going to buy another BBb that was a really good instrument, and I did not need a handmade instrument ( or spend handmade level money), this is the tuba I'd likely have to put at the top of the list.
Did you get a chance to play the EBB632?? (The larger bore model)

I liked it even better and despite the bigger bore, it is more tightly wrapped and easier to hold.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I'm well pleased with my Wessex Grand. It's a prototype version, one of 4, with the 5th valve. I have yet to play a Prokofiev, but, if they're as good or better than my horn, they've got to be a really great BBb.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Some years ago I played the B&S GR51 tuba and thought that if I were 20 years younger and played more tuba that would be the one to have: great response, consistent tone and scale.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

If the money is available, I'd recommend the Siegfried at the top of the list. A close second would be the Prokofiev. I own a Prokofiev, have used it for the last few months and have had much success. You'll definitely feel like you're able to provide more bottom to a large ensemble that usual. I find I'm playing my CC less and less in large ensembles, just have to get past some of the usual Bb playing challenges.

The Siegfried, Prokofiev and 6/4 Hagen are really the only Bbs I'd choose in front of CC. Eastman seems to be on the right track with their Bbs (they have the right sound), but their rotary valves were much too slow for me. The good news is there are definitely some great options available!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Tony,

I am playing BBb almost exclusively these days. I still dream about the 6/4 Big Mouth Brass BBb, 4 valve.
I don't think the 5 valve version plays as beautifully as the 4 valve. This was one of the best instruments I've ever played. Resonant, responsive, and well in tune.

This instrument also has peaked my interest, and I still may buy one some day!

https://www.dillonmusic.com/dillon-dbb- ... -case.html" target="_blank

Best Rotary BBb on the market in it's price range, and compares well with instruments at twice the value. Very similar in response and resonance to the BMB described above.

If I didn't own my 1932 4 valve front action Martin Mammoth with a fixed upright bell, I would definitely own one of these instruments!

Best Regards,
Frank
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

Loving my production Fafner....
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

A friend of mine has a B & S GR55. He has had it a number of years now. It plays beautifully. Worth a look.

https://www.b-and-s.com/en/instruments/b-tubas/gr55/" target="_blank
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

Mark Finley wrote:If was going to buy any tuba right now, it would be a miraphone hagen. They are Amazing.
I picked up one of these at Dillon Music back in December and am loving everything about it.

I tried a Tuba Exchange model at FMEA in Tampa last month (Chinese made) and it was pretty darned good, but not this good.
Antontuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Antontuba »

What BBb tuba at Dillon Music?