My Eb Tuba Project

Repair and modification discussion
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Re: My Eb Tuba Project

Post by Tubajug »

Thanks for putting that list in order for me, that's very helpful roweenie. Great photos, too.

With the plastic tubing, do you stick a mouthpiece in it and blow to see how close to pitch it is? What sort of adapter would you use , or just stick the mouthpiece in all the way to the cup, just to get it close?

Thanks!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Usually, I just put the mouthpiece in as far as it will go (usually up to the bottom of the cup), but I don't see why you couldn't rig up some sort of adapter to step down the I.D. a little. It's just for getting an approximate length for pitch - an airtight seal is what's most important.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Doing that to the dogleg would certainly make it look more factory, but it's tucked behind the valveset, so I'm not too worried... :wink:

I did a bit of measuring the other night and it looks like things will be working out rather well keeping it close to the length of the original. With the rotor and the bit of tubing after the 4th valve, we'll be right at where it was before (assuming that the leadpipe I get will fit ok with the needed length).

In regards to the little tube between the 4th valve and the small side of the MTS, I was planning on using a piece of outer tubing as a ferrule, should I "stuff" that with inner tubing to keep the bore transition smooth? If so, does that need to be soldered in or just cut to proper length to fit in between?

And just because people love pictures, here I was trying to plan the 4th valve route...

I'm planning on routing it like I did on my baritone project:
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Tubajug wrote:In regards to the little tube between the 4th valve and the small side of the MTS, I was planning on using a piece of outer tubing as a ferrule, should I "stuff" that with inner tubing to keep the bore transition smooth? If so, does that need to be soldered in or just cut to proper length to fit in between?
Wouldn't you just put a piece of outer tubing over the port sticking out? Why would you need to use a ferrule?

In any event, I'm told by some pretty knowledgeable gurus that that particular spot (exiting the 4th valve into the MTS) is critical - I'd take care to make sure there is no weirdness in the bore at that point.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I meant that the outer tubing would be like a ferrule, I guess. Before I got the rotor, I was planning on using a ferrule to just connect the MTS directly to the 4th valve port, but now with the rotor on the large side of MTS, I'm needing some tubing to keep the length equal on both sides.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

8)
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

bloke wrote:I built a piston F tuba this week out of German, Chinese, and bloke parts. It turned out very nice and (lucky again) plays quite well in tune. I'm going to use it in a brass recital next Sunday (which is "tuba heavy"), since I'm not used to it, and since I'm also not particularly accustomed to playing F tubas with only five valves :P . I also have a Mardi Gras gig tomorrow night, so I'll probably take it - instead of the Eb - to get used to blowing through it.

...no pictures...boring project...and not my thread.
Nice! I'd love to see a little write-up about it. I'm always interested to see what other people put together.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Tubajug wrote:
bloke wrote:I built a piston F tuba this week out of German, Chinese, and bloke parts. It turned out very nice and (lucky again) plays quite well in tune. I'm going to use it in a brass recital next Sunday (which is "tuba heavy"), since I'm not used to it, and since I'm also not particularly accustomed to playing F tubas with only five valves :P . I also have a Mardi Gras gig tomorrow night, so I'll probably take it - instead of the Eb - to get used to blowing through it.

...no pictures...boring project...and not my thread.
Nice! I'd love to see a little write-up about it. I'm always interested to see what other people put together.

Yes, me too - let us be the judge if it's boring or not :wink:
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

IfBLOKE says it is boring - it MUST be BORING !!!
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Hmmmmm, maybe not so boring. Tell ya what: show us yours and I'll show you mine.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

It wouldn't be TubeNet if a thread didn't go off the rails now and then. :)
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Is this a model railway club?
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

bloke wrote:Are you about ready to install your #4 circuit?
Not quite yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work with the inner and outer tubing I've got on hand.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I think I've got the configuration for the 4th circuit figured out! Now I'll just need to start measuring and trimming for the final lengths. I'm short on bracing though...
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

As I mentioned earlier, I think I've got my 4th valve circuit figured out. I did a little mock up and snapped a few photos:

I plan on adjusting the lengths of the two lower tubes in order to bring the whole thing down a bit so it's not sticking up so high on top.

In this photo I've just placed braces where they might go just to look good visually. Is there any acoustical harm to "clustering" braces together like this?

I was pleased that I was able to get the wrap a little more compact than I originally thought.

And finally, I sent the rotor and dogleg off to Dan Schultz for some tweaking. He expanded the end of the dogleg for me and created a ferrule to join the two. He also got the rotor set up in the configuration I wanted. Thanks Dan!

Hopefully I can start getting the 4th circuit soldered together soon. I'm still waiting on getting the bell done, but that's the last part of the body to do. Should bow guards be put on before or after assembling the bows?
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I got the "fiddly bits" cut to be able to dry fit the 4th valve circuit. My plan is to align and parallel the tuning slide on the top and get that set up and then see where the bottom tuning slide will lay.

Here's just a little closer shot to see the inner stuff. Lots of little joints to line up and solder when it comes time. I noticed the shadows make it look like that small, straight piece of inner tubing is curved, but it's not. Strange.

I might need to make a new crook for the bottom slide, the one I have is dented and patched. I have some smaller crooks I might cut in half and join with a piece of tubing to get it the right width.

Thanks for checking in!
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Before I got too far along, I figured I should add the braces between the 3rd and my added 4th valve. So I got that done the other day. That is all.

Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

bloke wrote:If you've not yet soldered those casing braces in place, how about (though your spacing isn't the same) making them from some brass rod that's the same diameter as the other casings' braces?
I did consider that, but in the end, this was easier. I actually went back and forth for quite a while trying to decide if I wanted to cut, grind, and shape the brass rod or find some braces. When I found these that fit with just a readjustment of the curvature of the feet, I went the easy route...

I know it doesn't look "original," but in my mind, I plan on using this horn for a while (aka, I'm not building it to sell it), and it's in a rather hidden spot on the horn to the average onlooker, so I went with convenience. That and I'm really itching to get the 4th valve circuitry finished up and I didn't want to try and solder around all that extra tubing to brace that valve. I had put this off for quite a while and just moved on with the circuitry when I probably should have done this without any of the tubing on there at all.

Oh well, it's on now, it's functional, and I can keep moving! Although my new helicon is really tempting to start tinkering with...focus Jordan, focus!

SIDEBAR - What I would love to do is have my helicon straightened out in time to play for our band alumni game at UNL this fall AND get this Eb project done before December so that I can take a different horn to a couple different Christmas events. We'll see if time is on my side in that regard...we have a lot of home projects that need attention this summer as well...
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

I started soldering the 4th valve circuit last night. Next will be to make a crook by cutting one in half and using tubing to get it the width I need for the lower slide.

Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Little by little, I'm moving along. I got a joint or two soldered, but I also got a crook cut in half and ready to start measuring, parallel-ing, and soldering that lower slide for the 4th valve circuit. A few more braces here and there and I think the valve section will be complete!

As I looked over my upper circuit, I think I need to add another brace. I think I'll move the existing brace closer to the crook and add a second one closer to the valve port, as marked by the poorly drawn red braces in the photo below:

What do you think?
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon