Willson 3050 ergonomics

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Willson 3050 ergonomics

Post by bort »

Question -- how are the ergonomics on the piston Willson 3050?

I owned the rotary version of the 3050 for several years, and liked a lot about it (sound, playability, build quality, etc)... but the ergonomics just didn't work out too well for me. I now realize that is was actually pretty top heavy, hard to hold up, and the valve block was too high on the horn.

Is the piston 3050 also unbalanced and top heavy? Or easier to support and hold? I know the overall weight is still heavy but that's not as much of a concern as being able to hold it while playing. My PT7 weighs the same amount, and is a whole.lot easier to hold.

Also, what are the pistons like, as compared to the large B&S valves? I find the large B&S valves to be spread too wide for my hand, and aren't comfortable. Are the Willson valves differently spaced?

I liked so many things about the rotary Willson, I think I need to consider the piston version again, before making my next tuba decision. I've played and liked several 3050s, and liked them all. Just not as a comparison to B&S valves.

I'm all over the map, I know. Crazy old Bort...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Willson 3050 ergonomics

Post by bort »

JCRaymo -- very helpful information, thanks for sharing!

Joe -- so... are you saying the ergonomics are good, or bad? :P I don't think the issue for me is a matter of budget; yes, I've set a limit for myself, but it's high enough that I have plenty of options in that range. It's more that play tests are only useful to decide if you want to keep the tuba to make a better decision. A first date is good for deciding if there will be a second date... not for planning a 50th anniversary celebration.

Also, I've played and tested a ton of tubas over the years, and have a pretty good idea of what I like and don't like. But the physical things, and comparisons after learning new things makes that knowledge harder to maintain and sort out.

How do the Willson piston valves feel, compared to the B&S ones?
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I would say the ergonomics for the piston and rotary are about the same, both being extremely heavy. If you're looking for an ergonomic, light, and European made piston CC, the Willson isn't it.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:yes...I'm suggesting that I suspect that you are shopping within a certain budget, rather than for something that you probably really would prefer to have.
I like you a lot, which I why I cut to the chase when discussing such matters - in particular - with you. I'd like to see you plug a hole in your over-a-decade-long buy/sell tubas financial leak, and - instead - have more money...and more fun. :tuba:

I borrowed a 3050 (for quite a few months) in the past, when I owned ~no~ C tubas. I can comment on your specific/headliner question, if you would like, via email.
Thanks Joe, I like you too. :P Trust me, I appreciate the directness, and I have a thick skin, so no worries about any of that.

Yeah, I'd like to get a horn I want to keep, and be done with it too. Frankly, the two Miraphones I've owned (the 1291 and 188) were each kept and well-used for several years, and I would have been happy keeping either of those. I mean, it's been fun to use the other horns... but yeah, lots of changing around.

As for the money... money is money. I spend very little on "fun" for myself outside of tuba stuff, so if it costs a bit of money to pursue my hobby, that's cool with me. How much does golf/skiing/etc. cost?!
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Bort just hasn't found the right mouthpiece yet.