Meinl Weston 30 Tuba mouthpiece reccomendations

The bulk of the musical talk
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Meinl Weston 30 Tuba mouthpiece reccomendations

Post by BrassKicksArse »

Hi all, I just received a Meinl Weston 30 CC tuba. I've been playing it with a RT88+ and I feel like it might be too much for the horn. Any recommendations for these horns? I've also had some luck with a Blessing 18, but the rim is a little wide for my taste. Definitely looking for something with a bowl cup.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 30 Tuba mouthpiece reccomendations

Post by bort »

That's funny, because when I read the post title (before clicking on it), I thought "I used a PT-88 with mine." So, that was my first suggestion.

Way back when, I used a Bloke symphony with my former Miraphone 188, and it was really a great combo. The MW-30 really isn't much different from the 188, so that's another good option.
BrassKicksArse
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassKicksArse »

Interesting. Do you have an idea if the bore size on this horn? I'm just looking for a piece that'll help some low register response. I really dig the tuba, these things put out a very nice sound!
sirtar
lurker
lurker

Post by sirtar »

I have a Meinl Weston Model 30 and enjoy the horn. I use a solo 2 blokepeice and has been the best for the horn. Yes, I started on a PT-88 and found it to be a bad match for that horn. Horn has a wonderful sound, some quirks to the lower register, that requires some adjustment. Lovely upper register and fun to play.
ato95
lurker
lurker

Post by ato95 »

In my experience the Laskey 28 and 30 G mouthpieces spoke really well for my horn. Something about the bowl cup worked. Maybe Baltimore Brass has some.