The bulk of the musical talk
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Happy Birthday, Bix

Post by roweenie »

116 years young today.

https://youtu.be/W5ZD2wWEGlY" target="_blank
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Happy Birthday, Bix

Post by roweenie »

That's a really cool story - and a nice recording, Joe!

It's interesting to realize that Bix's parents, even though they undoubtedly loved their son (they frequently implored him to come home, and Bix returned at least once to "dry out") they really didn't quite understand who he was, or what he did. They were quintessential specimens of the late 19th century bourgeoisie staid middle-class, while Bix was something entirely new, different and unique.

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

We will be playing tunes recorded by the Wolverine Orchestra - so no bass sax, only tuba.... :cry:

I'm really looking forward to the concert - not only because I absolutely love the music (as you do), but the cornetist and leader, Mike Davis, is the genuine article, and a real pleasure to perform with.

All I need now is a Holton sousaphone....... :tuba:

Bowerybum
bugler
bugler

Post by Bowerybum »

Really interesting thread and photos. Thank you both for sharing.
"When the legend becomes fact, print
the legend."
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Yes, you are right, my bad :oops:
macbil
bugler
bugler

Post by macbil »

For many years my mother came to my house on Sunday for lunch . She lived on her own for her last 12 years . She had been a really good pianist for most of her life winning local competitions and latterly taught piano , theory and counterpoint . Mother was classically trained so I grew up listening to Chopin ,Beethoven ,Bach coming from the front room where the piano was , but always her secret love was Jazz so in amongst the Greats I heard as a kid were the other Greats-- Brubeck ,Tatum et al., but above all, Billy Mayerl.
When we all got together as an extended family on Sunday and sat down to an extensive Sunday lunch ,we played Cd's and ate and chattered and listened .The Cds which hit the spot every time were 2 Cds of Bix. The elegance with which He and his band played was positively Mozartian even when he tanked it. There's never been anyone who played like him. In our family ,it was always Bix rather than Louis. My mother was particularly taken by a recording of "Somebody stole my Gal" and through the warm glow of good red wine made me promise that when the time came , at her funeral she would be carried out to that recording.
She got her wish 2 years ago much to the amusement of the congregation.
Bix's recordings still bring back happy memories of good Sunday lunches with my Mother and family. Life moves on and not one tear etc. etc.
Happy Days.