Age and Horn Weight Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Age and Horn Weight

Postby MaryAnn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:34 am

My father was a three packs a day unfiltered camel smoker. When the lung cancer data came out, he quit cold turkey. Actually that would indicate that I wasn't in a smoking household during all the time I said I was, because of when he quit. I do remember ashtrays full of butts though, and how bad they smelled to me. What I don't remember is any hoopla when he quit; he just did it. He didn't die of any smoking related disease. Neither did my mother, who was never able to quit having the very occasional cigarette when she was upset.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby jperry1466 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:46 am

MaryAnn wrote:My father was a three packs a day unfiltered camel smoker. When the lung cancer data came out, he quit cold turkey. Actually that would indicate that I wasn't in a smoking household during all the time I said I was, because of when he quit. I do remember ashtrays full of butts though, and how bad they smelled to me. What I don't remember is any hoopla when he quit; he just did it. He didn't die of any smoking related disease. Neither did my mother, who was never able to quit having the very occasional cigarette when she was upset.

Seemed to me that almost every adult smoked when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. My dad started smoking in the army but quit when my younger siblings came along. At age 7, I asked a chain-smoking uncle if I could have a "puff" of his cigarette. After I puked for an hour, I never had the urge to smoke ever again. My surgeries and long recoveries/rehabs, plus an annual problem with bronchitis depleted my lung capacity. Wish I had known 30 years ago that allergy shots would prevent the bronchitis episodes.

The most interesting smoker was my grandmother, who cooked a big farm breakfast of sourdough biscuits, eggs, and bacon. She would eat breakfast, clear away the dishes, and then get her morning cup of coffee and smoke her one cigarette of the day, a filtered Kool menthol.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Postby sirtar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:21 pm

I myself have entered a stage when my Cerveny 691 is getting heavy to carry. I carry the horn is a gig bag, it is parking the car and walking half a mile that is not easy. Many times the distance is close and have to wiggle into spaces. Love the sound of the horn. But now that I am in my 60’s, I have to give up the horn to continue.
sirtar
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:00 pm

My friend, Chuck Schulz, has played tuba in the Memphis Symphony ever since I was in junior high...
but - as he has other talents and professions - when he has a conflict, he asks me to sub for him.

Perhaps - a hundred feet to the left of this picture - is the entrance to the underground parking garage.
I could imagine that someone with bad hips/knees/feet/back/whatever wouldn't enjoy the trek up
to the stage from there (even though there are elevators and escalators, etc.), but there is also this
little spot, here, that accommodates a couple dozen cars. Though thankfully I'm in good health, I
always park here (with the other "big instrument" people), as it's just outside the stage door (as shown).

Rarely, when it's already full of cars, I'll STILL pull in, walk my tuba(s) back stage, lay them down
next to friends (or next to the "security guy") and go park in the underground garage. I understand
that other situations are different, but isn't there - usually - some sort of formal-or-informal loading
zone where large instruments can be dropped off, and then those who brought them can go and park?

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 pm

I played violin in the Memphis symphony during about the 1971-72 season sometime. Were you a kid then?
MaryAnn

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 pm

MaryAnn wrote:I played violin in the Memphis symphony during about the 1971-72 season sometime. Were you a kid then?

yup. probably 9th grade. I didn't begin subbing for Chuck until I was in the 12th grade.
bloke

Postby Bill Troiano » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Here's my Jupiter/ Stofer CC sousaphone, but now with a King fiberglass bell. The bell arrived Friday. I painted it Friday afternoon and I used it for 2 gigs this past weekend The fiberglass bell made a big difference for aging me. It's 5 lbs. lighter than the Jupiter brass bell. The brass bell definitely sounds better - more overtones and brighter sounding. I feel likes it projects more too. The fiberglass bell is darker and maybe even a bit more dull sounding, but 5 lbs. less weight makes a difference. And on Sunday's gig, I had a mic in the bell. When it's miked, you probably can't tell which bell is on there. It's a great old man sousaphone.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Three Valves » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:31 pm

A brass Sousa with a glass bell makes more sense to me than a glass Sousa with a brass bell...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby eupho » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 am

Would you consider the COOLWIND?
2052sg Euphonium- 52E2

3/4 Conn Eb, project
eupho
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Donn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 am

I was actually somewhat tempted recently, just an impulse but buoyed by convincing reports that the tuba (the one I was looking at anyway) actually delivers a pretty big, convincing sound, like it was designed to appeal to active players. I didn't follow through, though. Though not terribly expensive, it's a lot for something that's going to deteriorate as fast as that. But if you need a new lightweight tuba but don't expect to need it for long, and don't mind that it's made in China, it looks like an option.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:18 pm

I've chimed in a whole bunch in this thread already, and - apologizing for my lack of sympathy - still point to alternative solutions that I've presented.

All of that having been said, guess what's the heaviest single feature on most any tuba (particularly, a BBb) ?

The fourth valve - casing/piston/circuit tubing/slides/braces.

Just buy a $600 - $1000 (depending on condition) :arrow: 3-valve detachable bell King, and be done with it. :|

It's it's STILL too heavy, carry in the bell, go back, and get the body.
bloke

Postby Stryk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm

bloke wrote:It's it's STILL too heavy, carry in the bell, go back, and get the body.

Or just use the Yamaha YBB103 - the heaviest part of it is the case. :tuba:
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Stryk wrote:
bloke wrote:It's it's STILL too heavy, carry in the bell, go back, and get the body.

Or just use the Yamaha YBB103 - the heaviest part of it is the case. :tuba:

...??
If you have a nice-looking YBB-103 case, sell it to someone with a YFB-621, and you end up with a free ̶t̶u̶b̶a̶ gruntaphone.

I still recommending minimally dropping 30 lbs. from one's own body weight, which isn't very hard, would benefit many a great deal, and is less than the weight of most tubas.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 pm

cough-cough...

Sergeant Schultz wrote:I know nothing...I see NO-THING !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/King-1240-2340-BBb-Recording-Tuba-4-4/283417788735

bloke

Postby bisontuba » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm

PaulMaybery wrote:I feel your pain Terry.

Wheels. We need dem WHEELS.

There is a neat contraption called the upcart. It's designed with 3 sets of wheels to handle stairs.

http://www.amazon.com/UpCart-All-Terrai ... rds=upcart" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm so close to ordering one. Even the small tubas present a problem when there is distance involved.

In the mean time I am using a handcart that I bought at ACE Hardware and I strap the Tuba in the gig bag to the tubing with a large Velcro Strap. It's not ideal but it does work.

Hi-
After reading this and seeing them at ITEC in Iowa, I ordered one of these (UpCart) for gigs where parking away from the venue is required.
I used it for the first time yesterday in Syracuse playing in the pickup orchestra for Weird Al Yankovic. A bunch of us road down together and the cart folds down very nice. When we got there, I opened up the cart, put the gig bag with horn on it, strapped on two bungee cords over bag and cart, and away we went. These carts are great. A few blocks away, and then inside the theater door and up stairs, no problems at all. After the gig, same thing, and going down stairs a snap with it, and back to vehicle. Being extremely hot and humid yesterday, this could have been a nightmare, but with the UpCart, a breeze. Doing his show again in a week and a half, and will use it again. HIGHLY recommended!

https://upcart.com/

Mark
Last edited by bisontuba on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 pm

yup...

It just seems to me that - rather than some magical 5-pounds-lighter tuba - a good bag and a good collapsible cart that holds the tuba-in-the-bag safely is/are the answer for those who really don't do well carrying more than (the typical doctor's limit for some folks) 10 lbs, as most any tuba in most any bag is going to weigh at least 30 lbs.

ie. Acquire a smaller tuba for it's sonic characteristics, rather than its physical characteristics.
bloke

Postby nworbekim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:43 pm

bloke wrote:yup...

It just seems to me that - rather than some magical 5-pounds-lighter tuba - a good bag and a good collapsible cart that holds the tuba-in-the-bag safely is/are the answer for those who really don't do well carrying more than (the typical doctor's limit for some folks) 10 lbs, as most any tuba in most any bag is going to weigh at least 30 lbs.

ie. Acquire a smaller tuba for it's sonic characteristics, rather than its physical characteristics.

Exactly what I've found out... I bought the Messina bag for my 2341 and a cart (I think i linked it upstream in this discussion) and I really don't need the cart. The back pack straps are sufficient. I cut 25+ lbs off by ditching the hard case.

I bought a 3/4 I don't really need right now... I may have pulled the trigger too soon on a 3/4. It's a great horn.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby LCH3 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 am

bisontuba wrote:
Hi-
After reading this and seeing them at ITEC in Iowa, I ordered one of these (UpCart) for gigs where parking away from the venue is required.
I used it for the first time yesterday in Syracuse playing in the pickup orchestra for Weird Al Yankovic. A bunch of us road down together and the cart folds down very nice. When we got there, I opened up the cart, put the gig bag with horn on it, strapped on two bungee cords over bag and cart, and away we went. These carts are great. A few blocks away, and then inside the theater door and up stairs, no problems at all. After the gig, same thing, a photo of theand going down stairs a snap with it, and back to vehicle. Being extremely hot and humid yesterday, this could have been a nightmare, but with the UpCart, a breeze. Doing his show again in a week and a half, and will use it again. HIGHLY recommended!

https://upcart.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Which of the three models did you purchase and could you add a photo of the tuba on the cart?
Larry Haake
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Postby bisontuba » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 am

Hi-
I bought mine not from them, but on Amazon. Mine is the 'original' model, good for 100 lbs. The basic model is fine for a tuba.
When I use it again, I will take a pic of the tuba in bag on it.
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 am

Being (what I call myself) a "common sense engineering evaluator" (being able to look-at a design of an everyday item, and *determine whether-or-not it's adequate/durable), those wheels look like they would work for a few hundred (or a few thousand gingerly-climbed) stairs, but would then begin to break up. I'd pick the grass hill next to the stairs (or handicap ramp), and hope it's not a muddy day.

*and this has occasionally extended beyond that scope. A few decades ago, my kids were playing on a former state highway suspension bridge (left beside the new highway as a point-of-interest/attraction/rest area for travelers), and I immediately (determining inadequate suspension) told them to get off. Within a year, that bridge collapsed resulting in death. Several years earlier, I was in Kemper Arena in Kansas City (as peripheral staff with the KU pep band). I took a look at the roof structure, and determined that it was inadequate - to the point that (being an extra person on board) I waited outside in the bus until the game was over. A year later (fortunately: no one inside), it collapsed.
:arrow: https://www.tulsaworld.com/archive/bridge-collapse-totally-horrifying-minister-mourns-dead-is-grateful-children/article_0cc5ff60-1f01-5bbf-aff9-e147362fe262.html
:arrow: https://www.nytimes.com/1979/06/06/archives/kansas-city-arena-loses-roof-in-storm-few-are-inside-and-all-are.html
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet