The World’s Smallest Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

The World’s Smallest Tuba

Post by Dylan King »

What is the world’s smallest tuba, anyway?

I did some kind of weird review of one of the contenders.

Y’all are welcome to watch, y’hear.

https://youtu.be/SoG4lJJ3pIY

Have a great day!

Dylan
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Re: The World’s Smallest Tuba

Post by Dylan King »

Yeah! Cool valves, right?
:D
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Great video. Wow is that thing out of tune with itself.....!!! I'll take my old and gone MW 182 any day.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Soldered on coins like a pro!!

I just hot glued mine. :oops:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

The nickels definitely help with the horn’s ergonomics. It is out of tune with itself, in a way. It’s more likely that I never spent enough time trying to get it in tune, due to its “not so fun to” playability.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Dylan King wrote:The nickels definitely help with the horn’s ergonomics. It is out of tune with itself, in a way. It’s more likely that I never spent enough time trying to get it in tune, due to its “not so fun to” playability.

Wow, what a slam on this horn. I dont think these were ever intented to be used in any kind of concert setting but more for a true travel and practice horn. I find the pitch to be actually pretty good, no worse or better than any other horn. As to making music, just need to practice a little and it will happen, even the stuffy low register will open up.

Here is a short little ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEnb8kd ... ex=19&t=0s" target="_blank
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Well, sure, the one you played was SILVER!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Admittedly, this instrument was obviously not intended for concert or performance use. And I’m sure if I spent some time with it, it would have played better in tune. I just didn’t like playing it from the get-go, so it just sat around until I made this video.

For travel or practice, why not? I guess...

It is surprisingly well built, however. It might make a nice lamp or coffee-table stand, if one had three or four of them to make the legs.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I believe that travel tubas were designed for traveling - for when you're on the move and you can't take your full size tuba along for practice. Perhaps it was Al Baer who first requested it and MW built one for his use, which was later copied by other manufacturers. I'm not sure about this, but I did hear Al on a concert with the Canadian Brass in Avery Fisher Hall, where he used his travel tuba in a piece - can't remember the piece. I remember that it sounded fine, but was clearly a small bore, compact sounding instrument.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I might have been a little harsh on the instrument for entertainment value, but my rant was honest in its exagerations.

On another note, I would not hesitate to buy an instrument from Tom McGrady. I really enjoyed meeting him and talking about tubas back when I got this horn in 2012. He in no way oversold anything, and obviously has a good and decent business.

It’s great that there is so much competition these days in the multi-billion-dollar tuba cloning industry.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
BWBTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by BWBTuba »

While I do not own this particular instrument, I do have a Wessex CC Tornister tuba. Yes, like the F Tuba in Dylan's video, it is challenging to play, is stuffy and some of the notes do not slot easily, but I have found it to be a very good, and valued, practice horn. It requires considerable and sustained breath support, and with the right mouthpiece - which I have found with the able assistance of a fellow TubeNetter (who was gracious enough not to blow off my request for advice because of this instrument being unfairly judged by some as "a toy") - the tone quality I can produce is improving significantly with practice. There are many tubas of many sizes and vintages, manufactured in many countries, that can be challenging to master for all sorts of reasons, but the real value of these "practice tubas" is demonstrated when you switch back to your full-sized primary instrument, and that practice, having to work hard on breath support and articulation, really pays off...at least that has been my experience. The Wessex instrument I have, as I'm sure is the case with the one made for Mack Brass (I also own a Mack Brass TU410GB CC), is well made, the valves are quieter (after a dubro conversion), and increasingly enjoyable to play, recognizing its intended use and the improvements it has contributed to in advancing my skills. I believe that one of if not the first of these small F Tubas (similar to the one in the video, but I recollect made by Meinl Weston) was originally offered as a practice tuba for traveling professionals, purpose-built to address their need for a small horn they could carry around and use while their primary instrument was unavailable. Neither Mack Brass nor Wessex have ever, to my knowledge, suggested that these instruments were anything more than what they were conceived and built to accomplish...a well constructed horn available (unlike the original Meinl Weston practice F Tuba, priced as something in excess of $10K) at a reasonable price.

I think we, as a community, are quite fortunate to have companies like Mack Brass and Wessex working closely with the Chinese manufacturers to, as they have and continue to accomplish, provide these vastly improved, quality instruments to us, and at reasonable prices. No one is compelling anyone to buy Wessex, Mack Brass, or tubas that other companies offer that are "niche" instruments (like the practice tubas) nor those that happen to be made in China (with the benefit of close collaboration and oversight by people like Tom and Jonathan with these manufacturers, seeking to design, develop, build, and make available to us the highest-quality instruments possible, and making those instruments affordable). However, given the almost daily posts on TubeNet highly recommending the purchase of these tubas (made in China) to those wanting to buy a new or pre-owned instrument, I'd suggest that perhaps passing up the opportunity to try one because of its country of origin, or some "niche" capability it may provide, is shortsighted. To denigrate such instruments for the sake of entertainment, not having put the time and effort into a serious evaluation of the instrument and what it might be capable of providing to the player (for what it was intended to do) should also perhaps be appropriately viewed, in context, as something entertaining but not to be taken seriously as advice on what such instruments can offer you as a player. No disrespect is intended to Dylan and his always entertaining videos, but this one, in my view, was not credible nor of much value to those who may be contemplating the purchase of such an instrument... In fairness, this may be what he intended, but it could be perceived as implicit, highly negative, criticism of the company who offered this horn for sale. As Tom clearly demonstrated in the video he contributed to this thread, the instrument is capable of offering much more in the hands of another skilled tubist who had mastered the challenges of this particular tuba. Thanks to Tom for his clarifying contribution to this discussion, and for the deep commitment he has made on our community's behalf at Mack Brass.

I suspect that the majority of us who frequent TubeNet enjoy the occasional humorous "trash-talk" comments but also appreciate the advice of respected colleagues on horns, mouthpieces, and a wide variety of other topics of general interest to the community. However, when those comments have the potential to infer and be interpreted as unwarranted (I emphasize this qualifier) and perhaps unjustified and unsupported criticism directed at the products and companies that are legitimately doing their utmost to serve the community - and perhaps unintentionally make potential customers less inclined to try any of their products - I believe that we need to be more mindful when engaging in this kind of repartee, and any future entertaining videos that might be posted here. Such comments may ultimately lead to diminishing the enthusiasm and hard work of these companies, and the good and reputable people they are led by, in freely offering news and views regarding their "latest and greatest" products and services to us on this important community forum. Being constantly put in a position of having to defend themselves and their products on an almost daily basis, largely based on biases and opinions formed years ago about Chinese tubas...that many, including me, would say are far less (if at all) justified for the much-improved quality products of companies like Mack Brass, Wessex, BMB (which I also own and play as my primary instrument) for example, companies that have worked very hard to make these improvements in quality and consistency...would have made me give up trying to change closed minds a long time ago. Everyone has the undeniable right to "speak their minds", but perhaps this might be done with a bit of diplomacy and civility, recognizing that livelihoods are involved, and what we say may have unintended consequences. Should TubeNet be a place where truth, as you perceive it, is told, and demonstrably poor or inferior products and services about which you are knowledgable are criticized for what they are?...absolutely. Should we also be challenging these "truths" put forward in the posts when we disagree?...also, absolutely. But, should we do this in a way that is more than just idle entertainment for the TNFJ, I don't think so, but then again, perhaps you might disagree...

I acknowledge and appreciate Dylan's newest post on this thread providing some "mea culpas" for the "harshness" of the video, which was posted while I was drafting this comment. While his "rant" may have been "honest in its exaggerations", I would again offer the opinion that perhaps his review might have been different had he spent more time and effort with the tuba before he made the video, particularly given the obvious quality of the performance by Tom on this same tuba model in the video he shared with us.
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Look guys. Admittly I haven’t spent much time playing this horn, as I said in the video. I’ve owned many fine F tubas over the years, and the bottom line is that this travel tuba just can’t compare to a full-sized instrument. The reason I haven’t played this tuba very much over the years is that I just don’t like it. I was trying to be open about the horn, while also maintaining some amount of tongue and cheek humor.

YouTube is a tough place to be. Am I a serious tuba reviewer? Not really. People like Chris Olka are much more thourough and qualified to do a serious review on any tuba. My approach is more Marx Brothers, Rodney Dangerfield, and Frank Zappa than Yo Yo Ma, Itzak Pearlman, and Arnold Jacobs. Please take this review with a grain of salt, and enough pepper to sneeze your brains out.

I checked the Mack Brass website before I produced the video, and didn’t see this horn for sale anymore. I’m not trying to hurt the sales of this horn; just give an honest opinion as a tuba-clown on YouTube. I meant no offense to Tom, or any of the manufacturers releasing practice tubas. They are what they are. Maybe I should have added a section about that, but for whatever the reason the final edit is what it is.

I can’t always talk about how good or great a tuba is. In my opinion, this one just isn’t.

Please dont take me too seriously. I’m just a fat man on YouTube who talks about tubas once in a while...
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

We all have our preferences and opinions. I think many of us "get" that this is a little 'travel tuba'; nothing more, nothing less.

I thought the video was weird and funny at the same time :lol: -- we need more humor like that today :D Keep doing what you are doing, Dylan :tuba: :!:
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

mctuba1 wrote:
Wow, what a slam on this horn. I don't think these were ever intended to be used in any kind of concert setting but more for a true travel and practice horn.
It wasn't great but it served a purpose. I had one when I lived a small apartment and it was better than braving the snow to get the music building.

Are you selling the new improved ones or is that a Wessex exclusive?
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Dylan King wrote:Look guys. Admittly I haven’t spent much time playing this horn, as I said in the video. I’ve owned many fine F tubas over the years, and the bottom line is that this travel tuba just can’t compare to a full-sized instrument. The reason I haven’t played this tuba very much over the years is that I just don’t like it. I was trying to be open about the horn, while also maintaining some amount of tongue and cheek humor.

YouTube is a tough place to be. Am I a serious tuba reviewer? Not really. People like Chris Olka are much more thourough and qualified to do a serious review on any tuba. My approach is more Marx Brothers, Rodney Dangerfield, and Frank Zappa than Yo Yo Ma, Itzak Pearlman, and Arnold Jacobs. Please take this review with a grain of salt, and enough pepper to sneeze your brains out.

I checked the Mack Brass website before I produced the video, and didn’t see this horn for sale anymore. I’m not trying to hurt the sales of this horn; just give an honest opinion as a tuba-clown on YouTube. I meant no offense to Tom, or any of the manufacturers releasing practice tubas. They are what they are. Maybe I should have added a section about that, but for whatever the reason the final edit is what it is.

I can’t always talk about how good or great a tuba is. In my opinion, this one just isn’t.

Please dont take me too seriously. I’m just a fat man on YouTube who talks about tubas once in a while...

HI Dylan

Just wanted to let you know I definitely wasn't offended by your post and I get it, this horn just wasn't for you and that's ok. My response was more about with a little practice these can be pretty good for a small horn. They will never replace the real deal but they do serve a purpose with the right intent.

If I were in college or was doing a recital I would have no reservations in finding a piece to use it on as they are actually pretty fun to play. Everyone is different and what one person thinks or feels the next 20 may feel different and vice versa. Just so you know I did find your video entertaining and I would like to pick your brains on the equipment you use and how you set up your mixer for sound as the sound was great. As I get older and as my playing declines I can use all the help possible to cover up my deficiency's.

One final note, this tuba is actually just a redesigned french horn using just the F side of course. Due to the use of French Horn valves and bore, this can be very stuffy in the lower register. As most of is already know, rotary valve F tubas are pretty squirrelly in the low CC area and this is exaggerated even more by being smaller all around. If you were able to put a tuba mouthpiece in a french Horn the end result would be this little travel tuba.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Dylan King wrote:Look guys. Admittly I haven’t spent much time playing this horn, as I said in the video. I’ve owned many fine F tubas over the years, and the bottom line is that this travel tuba just can’t compare to a full-sized instrument. The reason I haven’t played this tuba very much over the years is that I just don’t like it. I was trying to be open about the horn, while also maintaining some amount of tongue and cheek humor.

I enjoy your reviews, Dylan. A sense of humour is sadly needed more and more these days.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The tuba Dylan reviewed is based on a Jestaedt design and is nothing like the Melton Trolly tuba. Wessex did sell this model in our early days, but have long since replaced with an exclusive Wessex version with larger bore, 5 valves and far better playing, our TF135 Bubbie 5 - https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tu ... ie-5-tf135. This is really intended as practice travel tuba, although the CC and BBb tornister tubas (https://wessex-tubas.com/products/bbb-t ... dget-tb160) are based on tubas used by the Austro-Hungarian army in the early 20th century and these can be used for public performances as shown in this period picture. I believe a few Jazz players successfully use with mic and amplification. The tone is good if not overblown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I'm encouraged by all of this talk regarding this video. When my wife (who thinks that tubas, and frankly all music is boring) said that she liked the video and thought that is was funny, I was filled with a sense of contentment. Reading the comments makes me want to do more, despite my sometimes hectic schedule as a filmmaker outside of the YouTube space.

That being said, it would probably be fun to do a comparison video with all (or at least a few more) of these travel tubas. If you makers are interested in such a thing, let me know. I might consider clowning my way through a tiny-tuba shootout.

I will be happy to send the instruments back at the end, and promise NOT to throw any of them out the window.

Dylan
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Being one of the few people who have owned both versions of the Wessex Bubbie, I can say the first version, which is the same as the Mack Brass horn, was very stuffy and hard to play. I upgraded to the Bubbie 5. It is fun to play. It does take a bit of work to get the best tone, but that work has helped me with my Miraphone tone, a lot. I use the Bubbie 5 mostly for practice, but have played it in community band and quintet. It is not as pretty a sound as the miraphone, but it does work. I play mine as an Eb. The upper range is clearer, but the lower does come through fine too. In my opinion, the biggest impediment to playing in concert is volume. I guess that is why some jazz players amplify their horns. For Salvation Army standing gigs, this is ideal choice.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5