Clone of PT6 rotary?

The bulk of the musical talk
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Clone of PT6 rotary?

Post by MartyNeilan »

There have been numerous well-reviewed clones of the PT6P floating around, but have there been any successful clones of a rotary PT6? I love the 186 clone aka 410 as it keeps getting better every year, but would like to see what they have in the way of something a little thicker. (Maybe the goldbrass 410 would suffice?) I am not looking for the short and fat Hirsbrunner clone. My hearing issues do not get along with short bell tubas. I would want something 186 height or equivalent in a 5 rotor CC.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Re: Clone of PT6 rotary?

Post by Steginkt »

I beleive Wessex will have one soon
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

More of a "competitor" than a "clone" I would guess
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Steginkt wrote:I beleive Wessex will have one soon
Wessex have no plans to clone a PT6, but are developing a new similar size tuba to try to better the PT6
Chris Mayer
bugler
bugler

Post by Chris Mayer »

Wow,

I am really impressed about the many improved designs based on Hirsbrunner, Miraphone, Bohland & Fuchs and potentially now B&S models. Looks like since decades, we have a bunch of losers in Europe not able to manufacture a state of the art tuba or not willing to improve designs, as such improvements are now made in such easiness and large number by others.

Chris
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Chris Mayer wrote:Wow,

I am really impressed about the many improved designs based on Hirsbrunner, Miraphone, Bohland & Fuchs and potentially now B&S models. Looks like since decades, we have a bunch of losers in Europe not able to manufacture a state of the art tuba or not willing to improve designs, as such improvements are now made in such easiness and large number by others.

Chris
Or to the flip side of this coin, why re-invent the wheel?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

MartyNeilan wrote:There have been numerous well-reviewed clones of the PT6P floating around
There is only one "well-reviewed" PT6P clone. The one made by Wisemann. It is top notch. The best horn ever made in China beside Eastman's top offerings.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And the pattern repeats itself: innovation, systemization, standardization, insularity. I am glad to see Wessex innovate. Let us hope it is many decades before they fall, if they fall, into the insularity final phase, as other manufacturers who were innovative at one point seem to have done.

OTOH, many other companies in many fields (not just music, but general manufacturing) are still around because they do continue to innovate and stay attuned to the customers. And we will hope Wessex continues to do the same for many, many decades!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

groth wrote: Or to the flip side of this coin, why re-invent the wheel?
I don’t think to try and improve is reinventing the wheel. All companies that really care try to make their products better than what has gone before. You just think of the car industry - if they did not innovate and improve we would still be driving around in model T Fords :wink:
iiipopes wrote:And the pattern repeats itself: innovation, systemization, standardization, insularity. I am glad to see Wessex innovate. Let us hope it is many decades before they fall, if they fall, into the insularity final phase, as other manufacturers who were innovative at one point seem to have done.

OTOH, many other companies in many fields (not just music, but general manufacturing) are still around because they do continue to innovate and stay attuned to the customers. And we will hope Wessex continues to do the same for many, many decades!
Thank you so much for your best wishes! I know Wessex does not always get everything right, but everyone in this company really cares and we are working to produce ever better tubas and euphonium...and as long as I am going, that will continue.
:tuba:
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Go Jonathan! Go!
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Wyvern wrote:
groth wrote: Or to the flip side of this coin, why re-invent the wheel?
I don’t think to try and improve is reinventing the wheel. All companies that really care try to make their products better than what has gone before. You just think of the car industry - if they did not innovate and improve we would still be driving around in model T Fords :wink:
iiipopes wrote:And the pattern repeats itself: innovation, systemization, standardization, insularity. I am glad to see Wessex innovate. Let us hope it is many decades before they fall, if they fall, into the insularity final phase, as other manufacturers who were innovative at one point seem to have done.

Thank you so much for your best wishes! I know Wessex does not always get everything right, but everyone in this company really cares and we are working to produce ever better tubas and euphonium...and as long as I am going, that will continue.
:tuba:
That’s because the model T was prehistoric in its design that led a lot to be desired and improved on. The aforementioned horns work just fine without reinventing them. Adding or tweaking the design on the other hand to make them unique to your specific brand name is a different story and interesting to see what exactly is changed, not necessarily improved upon. The Germans have had 75+ years at their craft as well as the Americans in their York and King designs, which IMO don’t need anything done to them. The new large 6/4 size York copies that are being produced are pretty intriguing however, and there IS room to improve.