Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba Price Drop $2000

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba Price Drop $2000

Post by EMC »

Selling my Silver 6 valve wessex, to my knowledge the horn was originally a 5 valve F tuba and has the original 5th replaced and had a 6th added on top, Really great playing F tuba that has had two valves (5th and 6th) added to i, the two added valves are Jinbao rotors from what ive been told and the jinbao rotors have slightly smaller bore than the following 4. The silver plate on the horn is like 95% the only area where it seems to have faded a bit is where the hands rests and the added valves are unplated. The leadpipe has also been raised slightly which if youre very short might be a bad thing for you but otherwise you should be fine or more comfortable. The tuba is very solid and rather heavy and because of that the sound really just shoots out of the bell and you can cut through an ensemble without trouble at all, you can give this horn a ton of air and the sound keeps a very solid core at very high volumes. The low register id say is better than the average F tuba especially below A, the low C isnt bad once you spend a bit of time on the horn so that you know where they want to be placed, the intonation overall is very typical of an F tuba, you may need to lip up some of the highest notes like high G and high G# but you shouldnt need any weird alternate fingerings, the rotor linkages are a bit noisy but otherwise everything mechanically works fine. Asking price is $2600, Ill upload some photos in the morning, Thanks!
Last edited by EMC on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

Post by EMC »

the elephant wrote:So you are saying this was originally sold as a FOUR-VALVED F tuba and two were added, or this was one of the six-valved horns and 5 and 6 were swapped out for smaller bore rotors? If this is a Wessex-branded horn, which model is it? You need to be more specific. And yes, by all means, well lit and properly focused photos that clearly show all this major surgery are pretty necessary for a horn like this. Good luck!
I just added some photos, let me know if you believe they are good enough. I'll edit the original post but as far as I know this was a 5 valve that had the original 5th swapped out and then a 6th added, as far as the original model I'm not sure, the bell simply says "Wessex custom" and I haven't been able to find anything that quite looks like it on the Wessex website so unfortunately the model is unknown to me.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

This is a modified Wessex Strauss.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

thevillagetuba wrote:This is a modified Wessex Strauss.
thank you! I'll edit the title
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

Post by DouglasJB »

Wade. This was the 6V F tuba Tabor built for me, its story might be floating around on the Frankentuba FB page still
Cbroome5535
bugler
bugler

Post by Cbroome5535 »

looks like a great horn if I could afford it I would take that off your hands. once I'm able to sale my piston York f 5 valve I will probably try to get it if its still available. :tuba:
Casey Broome
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Cbroome5535 wrote:looks like a great horn if I could afford it I would take that off your hands. once I'm able to sale my piston York f 5 valve I will probably try to get it if its still available. :tuba:
That would be great if you could, especially if you are still in the san antonio area we could probably meet in the middle of san antonio and El paso and i could hand It off to you!
Cbroome5535
bugler
bugler

Post by Cbroome5535 »

Yes that sure would work it is just trying to sell my York f tuba piston that was cut from an Eb. it is dated back to the early 1900's.
Casey Broome
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Cbroome5535 wrote:Yes that sure would work it is just trying to sell my York f tuba piston that was cut from an Eb. it is dated back to the early 1900's.
Was that the one that was at Baltimore for awhile?
Cbroome5535
bugler
bugler

Post by Cbroome5535 »

No sadly it isn’t. I bought it from a high schooler in the north Texas area back in January and a piston f just isn’t working for me. I personally need a rotor f.
Casey Broome
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Cbroome5535 wrote:No sadly it isn’t. I bought it from a high schooler in the north Texas area back in January and a piston f just isn’t working for me. I personally need a rotor f.
Oh I see, I thought maybe I was familiar with it, I'll ask around here in El paso and see if anyone would be interested, what are you asking for it?
I know how you feel all my personal tubas are rotor tubas, they just suit my hands and chops better.
Cbroome5535
bugler
bugler

Post by Cbroome5535 »

I’m asking for $2000. It comes with an altiri gigbag plus it dates back to either the 1920s or 30s. It’s silver plated and I’ll probably polish it before I sell it. Thanks
Casey Broome
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Cbroome5535 wrote:I’m asking for $2000. It comes with an altiri gigbag plus it dates back to either the 1920s or 30s. It’s silver plated and I’ll probably polish it before I sell it. Thanks
You should post your instrument for sale if you really want to make sure you get this horn. Even if the pictures you post originally are before you polish it and you just state that you will do so in the ad.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Bump, for anyone curious local pick up is fine or I can ship to you with greyhound in a hardcase.
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

DouglasJB wrote:Wade. This was the 6V F tuba Tabor built for me, its story might be floating around on the Frankentuba FB page still
I looked for the story on Frankentubas, but didn’t find it. Help!
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Bump, offers welcome!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bump!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

Bump!
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

Id be interested in possibly playing it for consideration if you will be at ITEC
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.