Holton 345 BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Holton 345 BBb

Post by sugawi »

groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Holton 345 BBb

Post by groth »

Whoever alerted him that it wasn't a 3/4 size and $699 was too low of an opening bid just did a disservice to world of buyers. We all KNOW what it is, maybe let natural selection just happen and see where it goes.
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

groth wrote:Whoever alerted him that it wasn't a 3/4 size and $699 was too low of an opening bid just did a disservice to world of buyers. We all KNOW what it is, maybe let natural selection just happen and see where it goes.
Nowadays almost impossible for seller to not realize within short time that he/she has something valuable. Seller got many offers with buy it now requests and figured out things pretty quick.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

sugawi wrote:
groth wrote:Whoever alerted him that it wasn't a 3/4 size and $699 was too low of an opening bid just did a disservice to world of buyers. We all KNOW what it is, maybe let natural selection just happen and see where it goes.
Nowadays almost impossible for seller to not realize within short time that he/she has something valuable. Seller got many offers with buy it now requests and figured out things pretty quick.
True indeed. There have been in the past “tipsters” who for no gain of their own tip off a seller thinking they are doing the universe a favor. If the seller learns on their own what they have, it’s not so bad.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Why so negative?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

groth wrote:
sugawi wrote:
True indeed. There have been in the past “tipsters” who for no gain of their own tip off a seller thinking they are doing the universe a favor. If the seller learns on their own what they have, it’s not so bad.
If we see that someone has left their car door open and unsecured, should we tell them or go gather up people to raid the inside of his car?

You have a problem with a person telling *you* something of yours is going to be stolen?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Apples and Oranges.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It's not wrong to buy items at the advertised price (even if the price is wrong). It's also not wrong for people to tell the seller if their pricing seems incorrect. And, it's not wrong for the seller to modify their price upwards if they want to.

When the tuba sells, for whatever price, it will be because someone was willing and able to pay the current price to complete the sale at that point in time.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

In that world, no one gets a deal on any horn. Remember the old days before the net and you could get a bargain? Not the case anymore. Morals are subjective it seems.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Water under the bridge for me, as I have no interest in this horn whatsoever.
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

groth wrote:In that world, no one gets a deal on any horn. Remember the old days before the net and you could get a bargain? Not the case anymore. Morals are subjective it seems.
I can only speak for myself and in the old days before the net I wasn’t exposed to as many deals as I see today. There’s plenty of deals nowadays and if I miss one or two here or there it’s not the end of the world. On the other hand if I’m a seller and someone points out that I have a wrong description I would appreciate that. Now, if seller would put BiN at $699 someone would of got a steal. In this case $699 was a starting bid on a seven day auction and within first hour or so seller changed starting bid and description before bids come in - what’s to be upset about? There are items that I used to put in auction site at BIN below market value and could not move them. Then I would relist with starting of .99 cents and got more than originally wanted. Low bid price on popular items can actually spike the price in the end because a lot of people initially interested in the perceived bargain and do their research and find out it is a true gem here (even with wrong description) and excitement keeps building. It is possible this Holton could of been sold for higher price should seller left everything the way it was.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Who is to say that particular Holton is worth $699 or $4000? The bidders, not anyone else, especially the sellers’ perceived value of it. With the advent of Google and many other search engines at the tips of our fingers there’s no reason to list an item improperly or not know what you are selling these days. I know 80-year-old people that are smart as a whip so age obviously doesn’t have anything to do with it. Again I have no skin in the game, just think it’s best to let the natural course of things play out.
Last edited by groth on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

groth wrote:In that world, no one gets a deal on any horn. Remember the old days before the net and you could get a bargain? Not the case anymore. Morals are subjective it seems.
Yup, it's gonna be rough moving forward. :roll:
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

well There simply won’t be any bargains based on simple listing errors or lack of particular information if that is how it’s going to end up. I had choice to bid at $699 but didn’t because I don’t care for 6/4 size horns. It’s also harder on the resale side of the business when sellers get white knighted about what they are selling. I guess the true game there is me being faster then you at what we both do. :mrgreen:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

The new starting bid price of $4000 for that Holton 345 BBb is about what that model in that condition sells for. The marketplace in general is a very weird place. There are still good or even great deals out there. Right now, there is someone selling a nice VMI/B&S-made 5rv 4/4 CC for only $1750. That tuba alone in that condition is easily worth $3000. Bloke sold one (albeit in near-new condition) with/case for about $3500, over 5 years ago. There are at least a couple Cerveny tubas for sale around $1000; those are good deals.

And on the other hand, there are ppl who think their stuff is apparently made of gold and price it accordingly. Like the various "York model" tubas out these days. A lot of that is because of the "Arnold Jacobs York legacy," that still lingers to this day. Even the once-popular Alexander tubas (even with the newer models offering better intonation) are not so popular anymore :(
The 'top pros' tend to hold much clout/influence in the tuba community, and whatever they are playing is what is 'popular' for many tuba players. I'm not crazy about it, but it is what it is :roll: :|
I'm just glad I've always liked what *I* like, and have always been independent like a cat :tuba:
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

toobagrowl wrote: I'm just glad I've always liked what *I* like, and have always been independent like a cat :tuba:
:lol: I'm the same way, if it works for you then play the heck out of it. I'm lucky to have found my forever horns that play well for me <$2k.
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

I certainly appreciate any posts here and it helped me find many times something I was looking for and even get great deals. As far as posting auction type listings I haven’t even thought about this. Just posting something I found interesting but will try to remember not to post links without BIN price.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

So apparently this was re-listed $1000 higher now..something strange going on there.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It isn't the same - now there's a mouthpiece and tuning bit.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

It didn't sell at $3,999, but now at $4,999 it has a bid......

Hmmmmmm..........

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".