Entertaining an Eb

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Entertaining an Eb

Post by Jerryleejr »

Show me what you have...
Going to ITEC and have an idea what I want...

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
DonnieMac
bugler
bugler

Re: Entertaining an Eb

Post by DonnieMac »

The Wilson EEb 3400 is the gold standard and it’ss all downhill from there. I presently own 3 EEb tubas: Willsonm Nirschl and York, 5 valves all.
swanben11
lurker
lurker

Post by swanben11 »

Mark Finley wrote:It depends on your budget, and your preference for valve configuration

If I had to buy an Eb today, here's the 5 horns I would consider

Expensive 4+1 piston willson 3400c
Expensive rotor miraphone Norwegian star
Expensive compensating front action Besson 983
Expensive 3+1 compensating miraphone
Budget 3+1 compensating John packer

Eastman and wessex have Eb tubas that should be considered, but I am not 100% satisfied with the intonation tendencies I've experienced in them. Your mileage may vary.
I've been looking at both of those horns as an option. Could you elaborate on the intonation issue?
Simonk
bugler
bugler

Post by Simonk »

Whatever you do, make sure you've had a try on both compensating and non-compensating EEb's - they are vastly different beasts. The Willsons are excellent though always a bit on the heavy side. Nimble valves and good intonation. Besson Sovereigns I haven't got on with as the 19" bell is a bit unfocused and the 4th valve territory can be stuffy on some... I can also vouch for Meinl Weston 2040/5 valve as being a particularly good all rounder.

Ref Wessex - I sold one of their Sovereign copies a while back as I found it too easy to overblow and the metal was a bit too thin for my liking. The Gnagey was pretty decent though. Cant comment on the Eastman as they dont appear that often on this side of the pond...
Willson EEb 3+1 (early 3400TA model)
Melton Meinl Weston 2045/5 EEb “Mr Tuba”
Wessex Dolce Euphonium
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Bump as I would like to know the answer to his question. Thanks!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
dweston58
lurker
lurker

Post by dweston58 »

I have a Wessex e flat bombino, bought it from Dan Schultz, selling as I want a small BB Yamaha 321..willing to trade for....
Dave Weinstein
Port St. John Florida
dweston58
lurker
lurker

Post by dweston58 »

I have a Wessex and E flat tuba I’m looking to sell ...it plays well and has a nice finish....
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

DonnieMac wrote:The Wilson EEb 3400 is the gold standard and it’ss all downhill from there. I presently own 3 EEb tubas: Willsonm Nirschl and York, 5 valves all.
Is the Nirschl Eb the one built for Robert Carpenter? I'd love to hear more about it
MEWienand
bugler
bugler

Post by MEWienand »

Hello
I have a Willson 3400 TA it is a 3+1 compensator, it has a 15 inch bell. I bought it as I am a Euphonium player who was asked to play tuba and couldn't do the usual tuba configuration. I contacted Willson when I bought it and was told it is from the 80's or 90's. It is in lacquer which is mostly gone as older Willson Lacquer goes quick. It is the only one known of in the states according to Willi himself they were marketed in the UK and Europe. I have just sent it in to be cleaned as I am going to list it for sale. I have a Cronkhite leather gig bag in green and tan for it and a Walt Johnson flight case. I have played this horn in a NABBA Brass band and in chamber music and Concert Band. It is great in all venues. It has a VERY BIG SOUND people are always surprised. It uses a regular tuba mouthpieces. I saw you're looking so thought I would reach out to you and see if you might be interested before I list it. I can send pictures if you're interested?
Thank You
Mark
Mark Wienand
Willson 2900s Euphonium
Yamaha 87D Horn
Desert Winds Freedom Band
LGBA Brass