LRAE Bb Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
TomMxEdit
bugler
bugler

LRAE Bb Tuba

Post by TomMxEdit »

Hi All,

A neighbor picked up a Bb tuba at the Rose Bowl swap meet last week for $500.00. The bell is stamped with "LRAE" and "Serial No 871-30." It has a really nice sound to it, though the rotor action is pretty rough and the fourth valve sticks open when pressed.

Has anybody heard of this make? The serial number is 871-30. It is a four rotor horn with a small lead pipe on it. He got it to use as a flower pot (!), but I've encouraged him to at least get it working before he does anything that would harm it. It is surprisingly dent-free considering the age. The lacquer is mostly stripped. The seller said it was over 100 years old, but people say a lot of things at swap meets, I suppose.

Has anybody heard of this make? Any information would be greatly appreciated and I can get some pics if anybody would be interested in seeing it.

Tom Carlson
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: LRAE Bb Tuba

Post by EdFirth »

There was one for sale out there. I think in Woodland Hills, a few years ago. I looked very much like a VMI/ BS 101. There was also an Eb on Ebay a while back. That's all I got. Ed
The Singing Whale