Who has been asked to blow up balloons?

The bulk of the musical talk
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Who has been asked to blow up balloons?

Post by hup_d_dup »

Charlie C Chowder wrote:For one, it is illegal to give out balloons in some cities if you do it orally, you may be passing unwanted bugs in the air that you blow out.
Can you give the name of any of these cities? I searched and couldn't find any mention of this. The closest thing I could find was that the EU bans children from under eight from blowing up balloons (so they don't swallow them). https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... rules.html" target="_blank

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

KingConnTuba wrote:No one said anything about distributing them or venturing into the business of clowning or related vocations.
That's not true. Mr. Chowder did.

Any why not? It's interesting.

I come here to learn weird things.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
KingConnTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by KingConnTuba »

hup_d_dup wrote:
KingConnTuba wrote:No one said anything about distributing them or venturing into the business of clowning or related vocations.
That's not true. Mr. Chowder did.

Any why not? It's interesting.

I come here to learn weird things.

Hup
I was responding to Mr. Chowder but was regrettably unclear. My apologies, Hup.
Bruce

2018 Wessex TB692H "Grand"
1940 King "Monster Bass"
2004 King 2341
1968 Conn 24J recording bass
1950 Conn 20K sousaphone
1924 Conn 40K sousaphone
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Seattle for one had the rule for balloons.

As to being able to blow up the balloons by mouth, I was taught to stretch the first two inches of the balloon as you start to blow and letting that stretch collapse as you start blowing. If you pre stretch the whole balloon, you will not get a good firm balloon. It will not be as ridged.
I have seen all manner of people who could and could not blow up a balloon with their lungs. Being big and able to play an instrument like the tuba does not really help. But do not know any oboe playing clowns. Our smallest clown, a lady at maybe 90 lbs., had no problem. I just do not even try any more at my old age. But I play saxes from soprano to baritone, flute and my 6/4 York tuba all the time. No immense back pressure to deal with.

I did not want to cause a ruckus, just added my two cents in.
Charlie C. Chowder
KingConnTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by KingConnTuba »

It sounds like you're thoroughly enjoying retirement, Charlie. Thanks for the extra balloon blowing tips, they'll come in handy if I'm ever confronted with the situation again. This was initially just about us getting asked put our lungs to work in extracurricular ways. It sounds like a scenario that happens on occasion. It's fantastic that you're a multi-instrumentalist, I can just about play the tuba.

Best wishes
Bruce

1940 King "Monster Bass"
2004 King 2341
1950 Conn 20K sousaphone
1924 Conn 40K sousaphone
KingConnTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by KingConnTuba »

Awegner2 wrote:The one I tend to get is the request to inflate air mattresses any time the college gang gets back together.
I recall reading about a similar situation in an old TUBA Journal. A tuba player went to ROTC camp or something and some of his fellow campers paid him to blow up their air mattresses. You should at least set out a tip jar.
Bruce

1940 King "Monster Bass"
2004 King 2341
1950 Conn 20K sousaphone
1924 Conn 40K sousaphone