Besson Eb Tuba query

The bulk of the musical talk
PaulT
lurker
lurker

Besson Eb Tuba query

Post by PaulT »

Hi everyone,

I have come across a "Besson" Eb Tuba recently and if possible I would like some help in identifying when it was made a which particular model it is.

It has a serial number of 136297, is a 3+1 piston-valve arrangement, and is allegedly a compensating tuba.

It has tubing which runs between the 3rd and 4th valve, but this is routed around the 3 top valves (both in front of and behind).

Can anyone help with IDing this tuba?

What would be a reasonable price to offer for such an instrument? The guy who has it is looking for about $1400 but he has wriggle room I think.

Many thanks for any replies
Kind regards,
Paul
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Re: Besson Eb Tuba query

Post by olaness1 »

Look here:
https://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Bessonlist.html" target="_blank
and here: https://horniman.ac.uk/media/_file/band ... ts_web.pdf" target="_blank for dating. If I read these right, it's from 1948 or 49. Which could make it either a Besson New Standard or Boosey and Hawkes Imperial. Many people get the two brands in this period confused (I've seen instruments advertised on here as 'Besson Imperial' - that didn't exist), but with good reason, as Imperial and New Standard instruments were virtually identical. One identifying feature would be the 'crenellated' valve tops and 'castle' finger buttons (you'll understand when you see them) which would indicate New standard, lack of those would be Imperial (barring looking at the logo, of course).

A few issues beyond the obvious (wear & tear, valve leaks) to look out for on these: some of them were made slightly flat (by accident, presumably??) and were cut, usually the bottom of the bow at the back you hold on to. Some took to this nicely, some went badly out of tune. In this period there may also have been 'high pitch' instruments made, that would need the main tuning slide made longer. This will be obvious to the eye, as this would have required it to be made bent some way or other to make it fit. Note: the earlier of these conversions were made too long, and would need cutting.

In end effect, if buying untested it's a bit of a gamble, if testing, make sure to bring a tuner!

And $1400 is a steal if this is a goodun! But obviously pictures would make it easier to identify for certain, as Besson/B&H made non-compensating ones at the same time.

Ola
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

PaulT wrote: a 3+1 piston-valve arrangement, and is allegedly a compensating tuba.
Pull one of the first three valves. If it has 10 ports (counting in and out separately), it is a compensating instrument.

Once you are familiar with the layout of a compensating horn you can recognize it at a glance.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

PaulT wrote: a 3+1 piston-valve arrangement, and is allegedly a compensating tuba.
Pull the first valve. If it has 5 channels (10 ports) it is a compensating horn.

Once you are familiar with the layout of a compensating horn you can recognize it at a glance.

Hup

(I don't know why the first post didn't appear until I wrote the second post . . . just assume it's from the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.)

Last edited by hup_d_dup on Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you really need Facebook?
PaulT
lurker
lurker

Post by PaulT »

olaness1 wrote:Look here:
https://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Bessonlist.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
and here: https://horniman.ac.uk/media/_file/band ... ts_web.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank for dating. If I read these right, it's from 1948 or 49. Which could make it either a Besson New Standard or Boosey and Hawkes Imperial. Many people get the two brands in this period confused (I've seen instruments advertised on here as 'Besson Imperial' - that didn't exist), but with good reason, as Imperial and New Standard instruments were virtually identical. One identifying feature would be the 'crenellated' valve tops and 'castle' finger buttons (you'll understand when you see them) which would indicate New standard, lack of those would be Imperial (barring looking at the logo, of course).

A few issues beyond the obvious (wear & tear, valve leaks) to look out for on these: some of them were made slightly flat (by accident, presumably??) and were cut, usually the bottom of the bow at the back you hold on to. Some took to this nicely, some went badly out of tune. In this period there may also have been 'high pitch' instruments made, that would need the main tuning slide made longer. This will be obvious to the eye, as this would have required it to be made bent some way or other to make it fit. Note: the earlier of these conversions were made too long, and would need cutting.

In end effect, if buying untested it's a bit of a gamble, if testing, make sure to bring a tuner!

And $1400 is a steal if this is a goodun! But obviously pictures would make it easier to identify for certain, as Besson/B&H made non-compensating ones at the same time.

Ola

Many thanks for your information. I am going to post a couple of pictures of the Tuba as soon as I can change the file type.
Paul
PaulT
lurker
lurker

Post by PaulT »

$_59-1.jpeg
$_59-2.jpeg
here are both sides of the tuba. Very dirty I know, and with a few dings but otherwise ok.
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

Ah now that is no Imperial! Older than that, I'm afraid. Is it a Boosey & Co (before the joined forces with Hawkes & Son)? If so: look at serial numbers here http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/am/bsnboosey.html" target="_blank the number given dates it to 1929.

It certainly is compensating, that is obvious from the pictures. It was also high pitch and has been converted to standard pitch at some point - double braced and awkward length of main tuning slide tells you that.

Boosey & Co instruments of this vintage often had some pretty engraving, with model number etc on the bell, but on the side that is not shown on the picture, directly above the receiver. My guess is that it's a 'Class A', but I'm far from sure. If it is, and it's in good condition, then it should be a nice instrument, but $1400 is decidedly steep. I'd try and get him down into three figures.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

My limited experience, the compensating loop doubling as a handle while playing has usually been an old Besson. That experience will increase when i finally get aound to opening a box i got last week, so i might be changing my opinion shortly?
Thanks for playing!
PaulT
lurker
lurker

Post by PaulT »

Thank you everyone for your interest and help/opinions.

I decided to not go forward with anything, but to continue looking for something that is interesting, not too old (50ish years maximum :-) ) and that would not need too much work doing to it.

Kind regards