Alexander 156

The bulk of the musical talk
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Alexander 156

Post by EMC »

For those of you who have owned one of these tubas (3+3 Viennese Style), is there anything specifically unique about these as opposed to the more conventional Alexander F tubas? Or are they basically just the same thing with a different valve set up? Any experiences of comments about these is appreciated, just trying to learn a bit more about these tubas.
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Alexander 156

Post by bububassboner »

I learned to play F tuba on one.

Same horn just different valve layout.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bububassboner wrote:I learned to play F tuba on one.

Same horn just different valve layout.
I figured that might be the case, ive heard the intonation is substantially better with this this set up, do you think that this was the case ? Or was it more likely that 6 valves would make any f tubas intonation just as good?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

6 valves doesn't make intonation of the tuba itself better, it just gives you more fingering options.
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bububassboner »

bort wrote:6 valves doesn't make intonation of the tuba itself better, it just gives you more fingering options.
Bingo.

If you get one I recommend getting a more modern leadpipe. They were all updated around 2000 and help tuning a lot. Casper was the office guy there who spoke English when I lived there and he could help you out.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bububassboner wrote:
bort wrote:6 valves doesn't make intonation of the tuba itself better, it just gives you more fingering options.
Bingo.

If you get one I recommend getting a more modern leadpipe. They were all updated around 2000 and help tuning a lot. Casper was the office guy there who spoke English when I lived there and he could help you out.
I had been told by someone here on tubenet that because of the arrangement of the slides or whatever that the intonation was better, probably total myth or hearsay, either way yes I am considering purchasing one, I know someone whos selling one so I was trying to get some peoples opinions who had experience with one.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Alexander tubas are handmade, and there's a lot of variation between instruments. Seems like it might be hard to pin down positive characteristics to being caused by 6 valves, Vienna system, "one of the good ones"...

Either way, they might not be the easiest to play or learn, but once you've got it down, it'll amaze your friends. :)
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

bort wrote:Alexander tubas are handmade, and there's a lot of variation between instruments. Seems like it might be hard to pin down positive characteristics to being caused by 6 valves, Vienna system, "one of the good ones"...

Either way, they might not be the easiest to play or learn, but once you've got it down, it'll amaze your friends. :)
Yeah I was thinking that too! the handmade aspect may very well be the determining factor rather than the valves haha! Either way itd definitely be really cool to claim to be able to play one of those !
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Hi, I owned a 3+3 Vienna system Alex F for a year or so.

On my model, the fingering layout was:

LH: 1, 2, 5
RH: 3, 6, 4

While this may seem like a Byzantine system, it was actually rather intuitive in practice and it just took me a few weeks to get the hang of the fingerings. The layout afforded a certain "flow" to scalar patterns. My biggest weakness was left hand finger strength and dexterity, which improved as I continued playing, but was essential because of the locations of the first and second valves.

The instrument itself was lovely. No intonation issues to speak of, and it had that incomparable Alex sound. I've never played a "regular" Alex F, so I'm no use there, but it drew a lot of compliments and interest. I believe my tuba was from the late 1950s or early 1960s.