Time to upgrad my portable music stand

The bulk of the musical talk
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Time to upgrad my portable music stand

Post by hup_d_dup »

I'm looking for a well-made portable music stand.

(the search function isn't helpful . . . there are too many non-relevant posts with the words music and stand)

Must have a solid desk (it can fold, but it can't be wire or struts). Up to 55 inches height. Ability to receive side extensions a plus.

Weight is not an important issue (although it must fold down to a practical carrying size). Willing to pay for a more expensive stand if it is solid and versatile.

Any recommendations?

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Time to upgrad my portable music stand

Post by CranstonTuba »

I love the peak music stands. The SMS-30 is steal base and up to 59”. The SMS-50 is aluminum and up to 59”. They both have full size 5 panel foldable desks.

https://www.peakmusicstands.com/peak-music-stands" target="_blank
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Manhasset Voyager gets my vote. Sturdy desk with friction lock for desk height. Manhasset ‘standouts’ will fit the desk too.

https://bit.ly/2Egsgtk
Link above chosen due to better pics, but better price elsewhere.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

I've used the Portastand Troubador since they were pretty new (well over a decade ago).

Desk is metal with a removable nylon cover. The cover also has straps for holding pencils and the tripod, and the newest version has pockets in the back. There's also a removable shoulder strap for carrying.

My favorite part (for outdoor gigs) is their "wind resistors" (basically elastic straps that hook to the sides) which keep the music in place.

The tripod extends to 58" according to the site, and it can also double as a tabletop stand.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Rick F wrote:Manhasset Voyager gets my vote.
I've been using one for years. Good compromise between light and indestructible. And made not only in the US, but apparently in my very own state. Based in Yakima, over in the dry orchard and ranch country on the east side of the state.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

I've used a Hamilton Traveler II for some years now, and it has performed brilliantly. It's never been a distraction or an annoyance during a rehearsal or gig--it just works, always.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

The Brute Squad wrote: My favorite part (for outdoor gigs) is their "wind resistors" (basically elastic straps that hook to the sides) which keep the music in place.
I've been using something called "file bands," long rubber bands that go around the stand. They work well on two page charts, not so easy with more than that.

Some people are using magnets and I may try that.

I don't like the plastic sheet overlays, I get glare at just the wrong moment.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I have a peak and find it fussy to set up and take down. It works fine once up, but frankly I switched back to my regular manhasset. It is definitely less portable but since I'm usually carrying a tuba, no big deal as far as as size. Carrying from car with smaller instrument, you might prefer a foldable one.
For out door gigs with possible wind, I definitely like the regular Manhasset because in wind I can put my foot (feet) on the bottom legs and hold it down. With legs that don't sit right on the floor I can't do that and wind is much more of a problem. So if I got another portable, being able to hold it down with my feet would be a definite consideration.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

For a long time now I've been using a Peak SMS-50, but I pair that with an iPad Pro in a Griffin Survivor case and use a bluetooth foot pedal for page turns. Everything I've played in the past 2 years has been saved on my iPad using the ForScore app - if time permits I'll make a PDF and scan it. It takes me about 10 minutes to capture an entire concert's worth a of music for a concert band with 7-10 pieces.

The Peak is a bit bulky so I'm probably going to convert to a goSTAND Portable Mic and Tablet Stand and Manos Universal Tablet Holder, with a Gator Standard tray. My biggest concern with the iPad is having it knocked over and broken - the Griffin case covers that. I don't need a stand light because the screen is backlit. I don't need wind clips (although I have had to weigh down the stand itself from tipping in the wind).
Last edited by kingrob76 on Fri May 17, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob. Just Rob.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Rick F wrote:Manhasset Voyager gets my vote. Sturdy desk with friction lock for desk height. Manhasset ‘standouts’ will fit the desk too.
My favorite. The desk and shaft are the same as regular Manhasset stands, so all of the normally accessories also work with the Voyager.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

https://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/M ... d-Only.axd" target="_blank

You said price was not an issue. This stand is wonderful to use. It sets up so easily, locks in place. My requirement when looking to replace my worn-out Desca stand was a shelf underneath for pencils, clip, lip stuff, glasses, etc. and this one checks all the boxes. It was around $100. when I bought it 4-5 years ago and it is still in pristine condition with daily use. It weighs about 3 lbs and fits into my gear bag along with my BBC stand. This is beautifully engineered and should last for quite a long time, unlike cheap ones. I also own the Peak SMS-20, which is also a nice stand, and a lot cheaper than the Nilson Magic. As Maryanne pointed out, it is a bit more effort to set it up, but is pretty good. It does lack the shelf I want, though.
Bearin' up!
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

I've been very happy with this one, especially for the price ($35.49 including shipping), both indoors and outdoors. I believe extensions can be added. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027 ... UTF8&psc=1
It says 24"-45" Adjustable height, but mine will raise to 56" (top of desk). It collapses to 35" length (less if you remove the desk), and at 7 lbs. it is quite portable, yet stout enough for a windy outdoor venue.