Practicing, Rehearsing, Performing

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Practicing, Rehearsing, Performing

Post by Mark »

Practicing, rehearsing, performing ... these are different activities.
Kory101
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Practicing, Rehearsing, Performing

Post by Kory101 »

bloke wrote:"Warming up" is a pseudonym for "practicing".

"Blasting through excerpts on stage" is a pseudonym" for "showing off".

:lol:
A friend of mine told me a story when he started playing 2nd trombone in an orchestra. It was his first week of work and he was "warming up" on stage. He was playing through Hungarian March and the tuba player leaned forward in his chair and looked at my friend and said

"Huh, I didn't know we were playing Berlioz this week!" :tuba:
Last edited by Kory101 on Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulver

Post by paulver »

I used to beat that into the heads of my students.... but in most cases.... to no avail!!!

Even the parents used to refer to the evening rehearsals as "practice". I always corrected them, too. "Practice at home for the rehearsal here!!"
I can't begin to count the "rehearsals" that suddenly turned into practice sessions...... which totally destroyed my lesson plans, my time table for progress reports, and the schedule for performances.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

"Never practice, always perform." - Adolph Herseth

EDIT: The point was that every note you play, whether in practice or a performance, should be your very best. Both he and Jake felt that too often, students would accept mediocrity because they would say they were just warming up, and would say they would focus more once they start "serious" practice.

Every note you play influences the habits you develop, so make sure that every note is an example of your finest quality.
Last edited by happyroman on Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

bloke wrote:"Warming up" is a pseudonym for "practicing".

"Blasting through excerpts on stage" is a pseudonym" for "showing off".

:lol:
I totally agree, Joe. There is something annoying about a player, particularly brass, "showing off" at full volume onstage pre-concert and intermissions. I always admire players who use practice mutes if they feel it necessary to warm up on stage or in the pit.

Ace
NDCompuGeek
bugler
bugler

Post by NDCompuGeek »

Would this approximate how I plan on treating my private lessons this fall in order to get my playing back on par? I am aiming to practice a lot at home (beginning with long tones and going to whatever my instructor directs), but when I come in to my instructor utilize that as an opportunity to perform what he taught me the prior lesson, along with ask any specific questions that may have brought me trouble while practicing. I figure I've only got him one hour per week, better make darn good use of our time together.
  • York Master BBb 4V FA tuba
    Barrington BBb 4V FA tuba
    York Master Bb 3V FA euphonium
    Pan American Bb 3V FA euphonium
    A LeComte & Cie Eb alto "peck" horn
    York master F French horn
    Barrington Bb trumpet