Copper Slant Rotor Marzan

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Copper Slant Rotor Marzan

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marzan-Copper- ... ctupt=true" target="_blank

Didn't know more than one of these copper Marzans existed. Really cool.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Copper Slant Rotor Marzan

Post by edsel585960 »

Cool horn. I had the chance to play a Marzan BBb at Dan Shultz's. Was a good playing horn. Will be interesting to see what this one goes for.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I think the other copper one was Fred's personal horn. It was an original Sander. I seem to remember it surfacing a time or two on eBay. I'm guessing that this might be the only copper "Marzan". What sayeth ye O mighty Tuba Tinker? Ed
The Singing Whale
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

EdFirth wrote:I think the other copper one was Fred's personal horn. It was an original Sander. I seem to remember it surfacing a time or two on eBay. I'm guessing that this might be the only copper "Marzan". What sayeth ye O mighty Tuba Tinker? Ed
This one had a fixed bell, whereas the one that was Fred's horn had a removable bell if memory serves, which makes me think there could be more than one.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

EdFirth wrote:.... I'm guessing that this might be the only copper "Marzan". What sayeth ye O mighty Tuba Tinker? Ed
Yes... the seller contacted me a few days ago looking for information about this horn. I don't know why he used the word 'Sanders' in his description since this horn was clearly produced by Bohm & Meinl. I was not aware this horn existed.

Fred Marzans copper horn was indeed a Sander (no 'S' on the end'). The main slide was in the conventional location instead of being 'on the top' in the Fred Marzan fashion. It was sold by Buddy Rogers Music via Ebay to Kit Johnson of the black Swan Jazz Band. It has since been sold but I haven't followed it.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

For what it’s worth, I have seen one other Marian tuba in full-copper. It was a CC with detachable bell owned by one of Doc Marzan’s students (and definitely not the Sander). I’ve never seen another and never seen a fixed-bell or BBb in copper. Cool!
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
proam
bugler
bugler

Post by proam »

For the record, the final selling price was $3,550.00.
As an amateur band player, that one really tempted me - a quality instrument that was at a reasonable price and was also unique. I was considering a bid at $3200 but it exceeded my limit before I could jump in.
I was a bit surprised that it didn't go for higher than that. Of course, the purchaser might have been willing to go lots higher and there was just no competition.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Dan... did you buy it?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bort wrote:Dan... did you buy it?
No. The final selling price seemed about right for the end-user. I would have bought it only to resell. However... I DID buy a 'regular' Marzan slant-rotor on Thursday that I'll be adding to my own stable for a while.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.