Thoughts on Wessex 'British' F tuba (?)

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Thoughts on Wessex 'British' F tuba (?)

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Looking for input on the Wessex 4 valve compensating 'British' F tuba (13" bell, I think). Thanks in advance.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on Wessex 'British' F tuba (?)

Post by tclements »

If it is HALF as good as my Wessex "Prokifiev," I'd say it's a damn good tuba!!
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Since I'm too old to become an F tuba virtuoso and don't, by nature, have a great high range, I would want a simple 'point and shoot' tuba for my high range stuff. The Wessex British F has been described as a 'contrabass baritone', or a 'baritone euphonium'. As long as it plays fairly well in tune and doesn't sound too bright, it would probably work for me.
Last edited by barry grrr-ero on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I can say that several professionals that have tried have ordered a Wessex British F tuba on the spot. I am obviously bias (being both British and the owner of Wessex!), but genuinely feel this is a very special tuba (my favorite bass tuba ever - I will be playing myself as soon as in production). It plays as easily as the compensated Eb, with unbelievable full low register for an F (no stuffy C here), much bigger than the size of the tuba would indicate (due no doubt to it sharing the same bottom bow as the Eb), while what makes it really special is it tone. It melted my heart the very first time I played it. It is like a bass opera singer in tuba form - so warm and melodious! :D
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Pennies begin going into the piggy-bank today. When using a slightly wider and shallower F/Eb m.p. than normal, this might be the ultimate jazz machine for me. Easy access to the upper range, with easy reach into the low register. The compensating system could make walking bass-lines a snap. Standing while playing might not be such a problem either. Cranking out the V-W concerto without having to maintain it every day of your playing life, may be a possibility too. Please send me your unwanted penny rolls.