MW 2040 rotary valve Eb - input (?)

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

MW 2040 rotary valve Eb - input (?)

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I never see this horn come up, but has anyone tried the Meinl Weston 2040 rotary valve Eb tuba? I take it that these are rather rare. I tried the 2141 piston Eb, but those big piston valves are just too much for me.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Re: MW 2040 rotary valve Eb - input (?)

Post by Adam C. »

I played a MW 2040/5 at Dillon's several years ago. I wasn't in the market for an Eb at the time, but I remember the intonation was remarkable and the evenness of sound was impressive. It was a very different instrument than the 2141, which I played for a few years. I still think about the 2040/5 from time to time.
spirtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by spirtuba »

I play one with 5 valves, 2040/5. I like it very much and it became my main horn for some years now for jazz and impro music, even considering it for the concert band.

Rumors/Problems: I heard it's not great for tall people (can not tell, am small) and some seem to have problems with the e above the staff (I don't seem to have that problem at all, maybe I have newer model). And the valves are relatively high on the instrument (but I don't mind).

I think it plays a lot bigger than the miraphone ns and even a bit bigger than the 983 (at least with a darker sound) and I use a pt72 with it, a perfect match for me.

For me and for what I use it for it's the perfect tuba...
B&S pt20, pt6
Melton 2040/5

https://www.spirtuba.ch
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Awesome. Thanks.
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

The 2040/5 is my main horn. I came for the Besson compensated so it took me a while to get used to the Rotary Valves.

I think it’s a great instrument with a lovely sound. It’s comfortable to hold and easy in the low register though it’s takes time to center the lowest range and the technique does not readily transfer from the piston. Like anything time on it bears fruit.

I had the 5th valve lowered as my thumb didn’t sit firmly enough. Just make sure your thumb is long enough!

I would recommend it as a great alternative to the standard compensated fair. I use it in all ensembles big to small. I Don’t get many complaints.
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
ZO Thunderbird Custom Bflat
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

This model is pretty rare here in the states. Does anyone have a recording of one in use?

Years ago I played a PT22 that was wonderful BUT it would appear that that model is discontinued and Buffet being what it is the odds of talking them into making one just for you seem low. The nearest sibling instrument is the MW2141(same basic horn with minor changes). The 2141 is ALSO no longer listed on the Meinl Weston website and appears to have been removed and or 'out of stock' on every vendor website I can find.

SOOO... the closest horn still in production appears to be the 2040. Also, not listed on any USA vendor websites. Suggestions on where to source one of these and any publicly available recordings appreciated.
dxdent
lurker
lurker

Post by dxdent »

Jim Laabs music has both the the 2040 and 2041 listed on their web site. Whether they can ACTUALLY obtain them......
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

You could ask Mark Carter aka Mr Tuba. He is in the UK and has a website Mr Tuba - I think he carries an 'improved' version of the 2040
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Simonk
bugler
bugler

Post by Simonk »

I can second Mark Carter for a contact - i bought an excellent 2040/5 from him about 2 years ago and its great. I too came from using a compensator and it has taken some time to get used to the 5th valve and differing ergonomics but practice works. I tried it directly against a Norwegian Star and it won hands down for ease of use, variety of sound quality and intonation. If you are looking at at Eb for any reason, you should give it a go.
Willson EEb 3+1 (early 3400TA model)
Melton Meinl Weston 2045/5 EEb “Mr Tuba”
Wessex Dolce Euphonium