Marching contra ? Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Marching contra ?

Postby tubadoctor » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am

On Facebook. Check Staten Island area and search for tube music instrument. It’s only 50 bucks but it’s out on Staten Island. Looks like all the valves are there. Missing some stems and buttons I think.
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Re: Marching contra ?

Postby the elephant » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:55 am

How about just providing a direct link?
Mama always said "Beware the Jubjub bird and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" But mama drank a lot.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby tubadoctor » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:25 pm

couldn't copy a link out of the facebook app on my phone to post in this site. i'll try later.
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:31 pm

Cool. I could not locate what you were describing base on your listed names. I would like to see it. Thanks for the heads up.
Mama always said "Beware the Jubjub bird and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" But mama drank a lot.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby AaronC1901 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 am

1918 Martin Medium Eb *FOR SALE*
Wessex Strauss *FOR SALE*
Gnagey King/Hn White CC frankentuba *FOR SALE*
2018 Campbell & Mundheim Tenor Sousa prototype
Chris Kratt mini Eb sousa
AaronC1901
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 am

Two missing top caps, two missing stems and one that has been snapped off (extraction work!), three missing buttons, missing gooseneck. This horn has three valves. It is in BBb, I think. (Can't really tell.)

If the valves are still present with the two caps missing and obviously no case (or they would have shown it in the photos), I think that they are likely stuck in the casings.This could require some (possibly a lot) of work at a shop to get functioning again; maybe not.

Again, this is a guess.

Funky, stamped braces all over valve section, not sure of brand.

Great buy for parts. Might not be fixable as a shoulder tuba unless you want to spend a lot more money on parts and labor. For that price, with no case, I am guessing this horn is stolen. Perhaps not, but no one who buys one of these would *ever* sell it for $50 — no way, no how. Ask for a serial number. If it is stolen (or has been pawned by a thief) they will claim they cannot locate it, it does not have one, or they will break contact with you altogether.

Good luck to whomever tries to get this horn.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby greenbean » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 am

the elephant wrote:... If it is stolen (or has been pawned by a thief) they will claim they cannot locate it, it does not have one, or they will break contact with you altogether.

Or it is just not worth their time to look for it. This is clearly not a person trying to profit from stolen property. They just want this thing gone from their garage...
-----
VMI/B&S Musica BBb
VMI/B&S 103 BBb
VMI/B&S 101 BBb
Mirafone 186 BBb
Olds Sousaphone
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 am

I buy hundreds of used horns as a part of my business. This one smells fishy to me. If they bought it they spend probably a couple of thousand on it. No sane person who purchased it legally would sell it for under a hundred bucks, broken, unwanted or whatever. Even in this condition it is worth at least $500 as the condition over all looks to be very good. And I have purchased three stolen horns over the years and have learned my lesson. If it seems too good to be true… :-)

As I said, it MIGHT be stolen.

There is no harm in calling the seller. Like I said, if it is of a fishy provenance, the things I listed above are strong indicators to a buyer. Indicators. Not facts. Call the seller if you want it, greenbean. Decide what you think based on how they describe the situation to you. In some states if you purchase stolen goods and it is discovered later the property will be confiscated and the buyer is not entitled to any sort of remuneration at all. That varies by locale, but where I have lived (nine different states) it is pretty consistently that way.

That is why I simply walk away from anything that does not feel right to me. The stupid-low price of this horn, the damage and lack of a case tell me to walk away. They do not even say the brand and could not be bothered to spell "tuba" correctly. calling it a "tube musical instrument" tells me they have little to no idea what the thing actually is.

Perhaps it is some nice, elderly person who found it while walking their dog. Perhaps it is someone who snatched it from a rehearsal hall for some DCA corps on Long Island. Perhaps this person bought it new, broke it, and then figured that it was only worth $50. I don't really care. I just don't want to deal with such a seller. I have enough mystery in my daily life, heh, heh…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby roweenie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Sold.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 pm

roweenie wrote:Sold.

Congratulations ! :shock: 8) :tuba:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby roweenie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 pm

bloke wrote:
roweenie wrote:Sold.

Congratulations ! :shock: 8) :tuba:

Not to me :cry: (although I must admit I was mildly interested)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm

So was I. That is a LOT of expensive parts for only fifty bucks! Also, if it was fixable, there is a small market for these and a lot of profit could have been made from this. Alternatively, I could cut it to CC and add a 4th and 5th valve to have a pro-line marching horn.

Kidding about the cutting bit, of course…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads